SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#92290 - 05/16/07 06:18 PM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
let's see..the G70 can be had slightly used about $1500+
less than an E80, it's got 76 keys vs.61, and it's 5 lbs lighter, and better looking. but the E80 has speakers and
some more advanced features..gee this is really a hard decision..NOT. but unfortunately...

either is too heavy for me, and speakers are an advantage
even on live gigs as monitors. The E60 comes in at 30 lbs
with speakers. so how much more would it weigh if they added a mic input w/controls, a plug-in for the Roland multipedal, an OS that makes better use of the existing
buttons instead of wasting at least 8-9 existing ones.
I'd be willing to pay a few hundred more for that. why is everyone saying I'm asking for the moon, and why don't i just take on 14-19 more lbs like it meant nothing? I don't want everything the E80 offers, I just want the E60 to have
a few more necessities, for which I am willing to pay.

------------------
Miami Mo

#92291 - 05/16/07 07:40 PM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
keysvocalssax Offline

piggybacking on myself--
you know you guys are talking about the 5lb weight
difference between the G70 and E80 as significant...10%..
45 v 50 lbs. yet you keep talking about quality of sounds
being so important- carrying a heavy keyboard around,
swinging it on and off the kb stand, lifting it in and out of your vehicle, and other gyrations one has to go through with an object that is large and awkward and subjects even young bodies to stress and strain, is worth the sacrifice, not to mention the convenience, of a lighter unit.

But the E60 and the Korg pa800 and the soon-to-come
Yamaha s900 are all in the 30 lb range-- now there's a
significant reduction..33% lighter than G70, 40% lighter
than E80, vs the 10% difference between G70 and E80.
and the sonic differential is nowhere as significant. So why
shouldn't we say..hey give a little better upgrade to those
3 30-pounders, even a little more weight if necessary, and a fair price increase for that..and we are buyers.

------------------
Miami Mo

#92292 - 05/16/07 08:10 PM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
Dnj Offline

People always complain about Kb weight .......but never about Pa speaker or Amp weight

#92293 - 05/16/07 10:16 PM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
keysvocalssax Offline

mfrs are making amps and spkrs much lighter, they have to feel that's what the buyer wants, no?

also, it's easier to deal with more weight in amp.. single handle, more compact. kb shape is more awkward, plus one has to be more careful not to disturb keys, buttons, etc.

#92294 - 05/16/07 10:21 PM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
People always complain about Kb weight .......but never about Pa speaker or Amp weight

Well, they do, just not here! People complain about the government, too. They just don't do anything about it....

The G70 provides a FAR better, more stable keybed than the E60. This alone needs a more sturdy case. People sit down at a piano, and never complain about the weight, but trust me.... if it weighed 25 lb., it wouldn't play the same way. There is a noticeable difference between a keyboard that, when you hit it, it doesn't move, and one that does. If key-feel and stability mean nothing to you, then it's of no worth, but for me, the difference in feel between a lightweight keybed and something married to some mass is important.

You've got to start being realistic about weight. There isn't a single 88 worth a damn under 30 lb. 76-ers are few and far between, and by NO means the better feeling key-beds out there.... At that weight, doesn't bounce worry you? You start playing with any force at the ends of the keyboard, and unless the keyboard is on a table, it is going to bounce like crazy. Now, perhaps you never learned on a piano, or think that a moving keyboard can still translate your velocity input accurately, but most of us are more realistic.

If your keyboard 'bounces' while you play... you are playing a toy. Linus knows all about it...

Mo, I'm just hearing 'Give me an E60 with a Harmonizer and an FC-7 input". Well, that is a G70 plus a boatload of better sounds. Sorry about the weight, but that keybed comes at a price. And if you can't lift 45 lb., what does your doctor say about music as a career? If you CAN'T lift 45 lb., I might suggest a strength trainer.... Money well spent, in the long run.

And sadly, the E80 or the G70 uses the D-Beam in exactly the same way as the E50/60. No improvement there. It's kind of sad. Roland did exactly what you wanted, shaved enough off the cost and weight of the G70 to please you, but now, it's not enough. You want more. But don't want to pay for it....

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 05-16-2007).]

#92295 - 05/16/07 11:10 PM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
keysvocalssax Offline

Diki, i suggest a reading comprehension class.
I specifically said i want to pay for more.
I have always said that.
Can't lift 45 lbs? never said that..I'm now lifting
a 50-lb vintage Duovox amp. it's heavy, but it's a one-hand lift, and always low on the floor, except in/out of vehicle.
I don't WANT TO lift a 45-lb keyboard, or a 40 lb kb, or
even a 35-lb kb. it's not the same as lifting an amp, it's
awkward, it's problematical. i don't care what you say the
advantages are..would you shlep a 70-lb keyboard if it
was more stable than your g-70? why not carry a digital piano, use it as controller too for a module. that'll give
you plenty of stability, i reckon. you're always telling me to get a contoller and be a midi-man. Y not you?
How about all you guys that keep telling those of us who
don't like to use heavy boards to shut up about it, how about all of you shut up about it instead? you make your trade-offs, I'll make mine..and hey, Diki, while you're at it,
stop complaining about certain features you wish your kb's would have, and then criticizing others who want features they would like to have.
In simpler terms, get off your high horse, OK? I appreciate the knowledge you have and your willingness to share it.
You have been helpful to me and others. But sometimes
you have the air of a know-it-all. here's news:You don't.

#92296 - 05/17/07 12:25 AM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
Wis Offline

Yes Diki has the air to know everything and of course he does not. But on the other hand he is very good informed and he knows a lot and that is why I read his messages.
He is very helpfull and that is one of the good reasons to read every day the Danish Roland site.
On that site you will find every month some free new Mart Weeho Styles for Roland Arrangers.

#92297 - 05/17/07 12:44 AM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
well, E50 does not have a D-beam.
and ANY keyboard would bounce if the stand is not adequate.

#92298 - 05/17/07 02:17 AM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
just for the record, the Tyros 2 has almost the SAME keyfeel as the G70 (i couldn't tell the difference) and it weighs a shit load less than the G70...

if it rattles when u play it - u need a new / better stand...

#92299 - 05/17/07 03:51 AM Re: Roland e-60 vs e80
spalding4 Offline

Loc: england
keep it nice gents.

I agree that a good wide stand should reduce any potential for bounce no matter how hard you hit the keys but having said that a solid keyboard does make a difference. I think any board less than 25lbs in weight would move about too much if played really hard.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online