SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#92215 - 01/07/06 11:28 AM Re: Groove Tube SFX-100...
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

I am interested, but the specs say there is an output for a subwoofer. I think that means that if I want a sub I will have to carry it separately and hook it it up each time. That sort of kills the benefits of compactness and quick setup. I will stick with my Logitechs.

#92216 - 01/07/06 11:42 AM Re: Groove Tube SFX-100...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I talked to one person who insists it will do the same as the Bose PAS, but on a smaller scale. If so, it would be great for nursing homes, assisted living, and similar venues.

Gary

But I don't think the PAS claims to simulate stereo does it?
from the ad: "as you might expect, signals with little or no stereo content are not affected by the Width control because Mono signals don’t stimulate the side speaker. But feed SFX 100 a good “Leslie” patch or guitar slap delay, and you may get caught
looking around wondering where all the extension speakers are hiding"

#92217 - 01/07/06 12:09 PM Re: Groove Tube SFX-100...
HankB Offline

Loc: Bossier City, La. USA
Would like to try one to see if it lives up to the claims.
http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/prod.itml/icOid/11834

Hank

#92218 - 01/07/06 12:35 PM Re: Groove Tube SFX-100...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Went to local GC today. They didn't have it in stock and have not carried it, but sales person said they would be getting a shipment and will call me when delivered.

#92219 - 01/07/06 01:10 PM Re: Groove Tube SFX-100...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bose does not claim to simulate stereo, however, it does claim nearly equal distrubtion of sound level in mono. The Groove Tube SFX claims it does provide stereo throughout the venue, but I find this difficult to conceive without checking it out first hand.

As for adding a sub, I hope it has sufficient bottom end so a sub is not needed. If this indeed the case, and/or the lows and be adjusted on the keyboard, it would be a dream come true for small venues and nursing home jobs.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#92220 - 01/07/06 01:27 PM Re: Groove Tube SFX-100...
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I went to my local GC. I went to the amp department and the salesman said they would have to special order the Groove Tube. He said he would get back to me later in the week with the particulars.

I was looking around the keyboard department and saw 2 units that were boxed and out of the way. I inquired about the unit and this salesman said "I didn't even know we had them". He opened it for me to look at. He said he would let me take it for 30 day trial without a stocking fee.

So I brought it home and hooked it up.

First impression-----Not impressed. No bottom end. Would probably need a sub-woofer.

The rotary organs and sterep effects are there, however as you increase the width it also seams to a more reverb, creating a muddy sound. I will play with the eq on the keyboard, but I don't think I will keep it.

Regards,

Jerry

#92221 - 01/07/06 03:06 PM Re: Groove Tube SFX-100...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerryghr:

First impression-----Not impressed. No bottom end. Would probably need a sub-woofer.

The rotary organs and sterep effects are there, however as you increase the width it also seams to a more reverb, creating a muddy sound. I will play with the eq on the keyboard, but I don't think I will keep it.

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry thanks for the feedback, please keep us posted on what happens. That's disappointing, like Gary said " This could have been a dream come true for smaller gigs and nursing homes."

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-07-2006).]

#92222 - 01/07/06 03:33 PM Re: Groove Tube SFX-100...
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I took it back. No hassles. I knew it wouldn't work for me. Just my opinion. I hope others try it and give their opinion also.

I really wanted it to work. It was a nice small package, well built,lightweight and easy to set up and carry. (the unit in Gary's post doesn't show a carrying handle. The unit I had has a nice handle on the top for transporting.) Just plug in two cables and start playing, however it was not worth the $541 after taxes. Pretty pricey for what I considered a good "practice amp".

Regards,

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerryghr (edited 01-07-2006).]

#92223 - 01/07/06 05:15 PM Re: Groove Tube SFX-100...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
This was what I was afraid of. The specifications indicated that in order to use this thing you would need a sub, which is one more piece of gear to pack around. Nope, not for me.

Thanks Jerry,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online