SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#91987 - 07/28/00 10:59 PM GEM Question
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
What's the difference between a General Music WK8 and a SK760? I've never seen either one, but they seem to be quite similar from reading the descriptions on their web page.
Thanks,
Don

#91988 - 07/28/00 11:18 PM Re: GEM Question
DannyJay Offline

Loc: Merritt Island, FL, USA
I believe they are very similar. However the maine difference that I am aware of is the WK8 is a 61 note board and the SK760 is 76 keys. The WK8 has internal built in speakers and amplifier and the SK needs external amplification. There may be other minor differences as well.

#91989 - 07/29/00 12:02 AM Re: GEM Question
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Don,
The SK760 and the WK6 are exactly the same engines except for the 76 key keyboard with weighted keys(although not hammer action) vs the 61 and the WK6 has speakers and the SK760 does not. There is also the SK880 which has 88 weighted hammer action keys. The SK880 feels like a real piano, where the SK760 is somewhere between a synth and a piano.
The WK8 is the same as the WK6 except it has 8 meg of battery backed ram to store samples that you load from disk vs 2 meg of sample ram in the WK6. The WK8 also has the vocal harmony option already inside the keyboard, where you have to buy and install the vocal harmony option for the WK6.
So, if you had a WK6 and you bought the 8meg option and the vocal harmonizer, you would turn the WK6 or the SK760(which can have the same options) into a WK8. The WK8 only comes as a "mega station" which means there is a hard drive installed stock from the factory, where the SK760 and WK6 are either with floppy disk drive only or you can order either one as a "powerstation" which means they come with a hard drive installed from the factory, including hundreds of midi files and hundreds of extra styles and sounds. The only other difference between them is that the center of the keyboard, around where the large square display is, would have a wood grain appearance on the WK8 and the WK6 and SK760 are charcoal grey in color.
Now, there is now a WK8"se"(special edition), which also includes a new chip which adds the piano sounds(as well as 31 other sounds) from the highly acclaimed Pro1 piano keyboard. Also, the "se" includes some new RASS (real audio sampled style} styles inside the keyboard as opposed to having to load these from the disk drive or hard drive.
I hope this helps solve the mystery of the different models available from Generalmusic. The hardest thing about this for customers to understand is that Generalmusic sells me the WK series and Peavey sells me the SK versions. I wish there was only one distributor so most customers would be able to get info about all generalmusic products from one source.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, Ca.
(Retired 2021)

#91990 - 07/29/00 08:26 AM Re: GEM Question
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks Guys,
I love my PSR9000, except for the weight. My friend at Peavey wants me to play an SK, but they are at least as heavy. And I still haven't actually played one. That's the only way to tell if a keyboard suits you.
I wonder if GEM plans to introduce anything new. It seems to me that they pay a lot of attention to upgrades and improvements, but the current series has been around for awhile.
Don

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online