SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91850 - 08/26/07 12:41 AM OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

My AT&T cell phone contract is about up for renewal (9/3rd), so I think it's time to consider upgrading my phone. I Currently own a Motorola RazR. I like it: Nice and slim. Now I want a Smartphone. Checked out the iPhone at the Apple Store, but quickly realize it LACKS important features (to me) like 3G (which has full region wide coverage in my area: San Francisco/San Jose-Silcon Valley) & GPS navigation. I've also researched the other smartphone offering, from the Nokia N95 and latest Palm Treo, but have since learned that though both these phones support 3G, their 3G type is ONLY compatible on European 3G networks, not the 3G networks here in the USA. Bizarre but true!

Ok, been reading all the latest buzz on the cell phone forums & associated review sites, about the latest Smartphone offering by HTC called the Kaiser, of which is already receiving rave reviews, and touted as the device iPhone should have been. I've also recently learned that AT&T will be offering this phone on 9/3 under the AT&T branded name: HTC 8925 Tilt, aptedly named because it's screen tilts at any given angle above it's slide keyboard. The HTC Tilt (aka: Kaiser) runs on Microsoft's lastest Windows Mobile OS 6, and supports external memory cards of up to 8GB (wow!), and also includes a 3 mexapixel camera. This phone also supports basically free Skype calling to multiple PC users (group voice and/or IMchat) to anyone on a PC in the world, as well as dirt cheap priced SkypeOut to landline phones worldwide. The full function PDA & calendar will make it (thanks to area wide 3G coverage in the San Francisco Bay Area) a breeze to access the internet, make/receive calls, schedule & book gigs anywhere on the run, whether in the car, on the street, or at the beach, and benefit from the even faster WiFi connection at cafe hotspots & piggybacking to wireless wifi broadband in & around my home. I can't wait till AT&T's 9/3 roll out of this phone, of which coincidently happens to be the same day my current AT&T contract expires. Cost: $499 with a 2 year contract renewal.

Ok. Do I really need something this powerful? Probably not. Do I want this phone? yes. Will I actually get it? Hard to say yet till I finally have a chance to try it. The other option would be to instead upgrade to the new 3G RazR2 (projected price $200 with 2 year contract) coming out only a few weeks later. Choices, choices. Decisions, decisions.

Who has recently purchased, upgraded, or currently doing research on the lastest smart cell phones avialble now or coming out shortly? Got feedback/opinions/recommenations?

Links:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=P41hoK-jX3I
http://www.modaco.com/Paul-Reviews-HTC-P45-t256569.html
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/05/24/htc-kaiser-unboxing/
http://www.htcclub.net/en/shownews.php?ID=265

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-26-2007).]

#91851 - 08/26/07 02:50 AM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Hey Scott,
Never bought a AT&T phone.. But I do own this stock that gets paid for every AT&T activation... I've double me money... http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SNCR
Got in at $17.50.. Don't know how high it will go?

Any stock traders want some ideas give me an email.. You never need anyone to like your music to make money in the stock market...

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 08-26-2007).]

#91852 - 08/26/07 09:10 AM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
Dnj Offline

NEXTEL baby!!!
Can you say walkie Talkie oh yeah!

#91853 - 08/26/07 10:26 AM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott, I bought the EnV, and the best testament I can give is this:
my teenage daughters BOTH want one !
I sprung for the navigation too ... it's fantastic.

#91854 - 08/27/07 08:55 AM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Scott, I bought the EnV, and the best testament I can give is this:
my teenage daughters BOTH want one !
I sprung for the navigation too ... it's fantastic.

UD, thanks for the testimony, I'm due for an upgrade to a new phone in a couple of months and have had my eyes on the EnV. Scott, love the looks and specs of the HTC Kaiser, keep us posted on what you decide on.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 08-27-2007).]

#91855 - 08/27/07 09:50 AM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Uncle Dave, cool phone indeed. as I know a couple of friends who own & enjoy the LG EnV as well, and Verizon (CDMA type phone service) certainly has a great reputation for good coverage around the Country (USA). Unfortunately CDMA phones (unlike GSM phones) won't allow you to simply 'swap out' a SIM card, giving you the opportunity to use your unique phone number (and all your settings: address book etc) on any other GSM phone, allowing you to select the most appropriate phone (full featured powerful, bang around rugged, or ultra thin) to take out on any given day/situation. I hate being locked into to using only a specific phone, especially when there are now so many cool 3rd party unlocked phones out there for sale now. The other advantage of GSM type phones is the ability to use your phone when traveling abroad (Europe/Asia). Can't do this with CDMA phones. Interestingly enough, one of my two buddies (above) now has his eyes on the HTC Kasier as well and planning on switching to AT&T now to gain the GSM phone benifits outlined. - Scott

#91856 - 08/27/07 09:58 AM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi Scott,

I'm currently using the Tmobile Wing which is also made by HTC and I'm loving it. It is basically the same as the 8525 (I think) from AT&T and it's lacking the tilting feature.
I went with Tmobile since AT&T coverage is horrible down here in San Diego. It runs Windows mobile 6 and does run Skype as well and beats having to carry PDA + phone at the same time. I know you'd probably go for AT&T because of the 3G functions but I thought I'd mention that I'm very impressed by any phones from HTC.

#91857 - 08/27/07 10:24 AM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
Dnj Offline

Dave hows the Keyfeel?

I will duck now .

#91858 - 08/27/07 10:31 AM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
....hahaha ... good one Donny !
Funny thing - I actually bought THIS model BECAUSE of the keypad ! I like to answer email from the road, but my thumbs are too clumsy to use the regular phone keys ! This one lets me type on a teeeeny-tiny kb !

#91859 - 08/27/07 10:31 AM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
Scottyee Offline

Wiz: As a relatively frequent visitor, I've got to agree with you about AT&T coverage in San Diego, but have noticed of late that it's improved greatly. Yeah I too am convinced HTC's got the hottest cutting edge phones with all the bells & whistles now. Great to hear you're enjoyng the Wing by HTC. See that PCWorld just gave it high marks. Because cell carrier re-brand their phones, it's often difficut to realize who the actual manufacturer is. Yeah, the HTC 8925 Kaiser (re-branded AT&T Tilt) is the replacement for the AT&T 8525/T-Mobile Wing . Btw Claude, curious what the 3G coverage is like in the San Diego area as I plan to be down your way sometime after I get my new phone with 3G.

Scott

#91860 - 08/27/07 11:07 AM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
Scottyee Offline

Claude: almost forgot . . . any possibly you could call me via Skype (on your T-Mobile Wing) so I can hear how it sounds? Email me (address link provided on my website) and if you have the inclination, let's schedule a little cell phone to PC Skype test chat. Thanks - Scott

Skype id: scottyee

#91861 - 08/27/07 09:40 PM Re: OT: Anyone here a cell phone junkie? !
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Scott,

From what I've heard, 3G is starting to have pretty good coverage down in San Diego.
Anyway, you've got mail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online