SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#91711 - 04/18/02 10:49 AM What's the best program???
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
I need some kind of a dictionary for my PC to
spellcheck when I type.
Between my typing and spelling, I got problems! I know there several programs that have spellckeck in them! All though right can't think of the names.
I never was very good with a PC! But just manage to get buy!
Could some of my friends help me out here?
All the best,
Nobby

------------------

#91712 - 04/18/02 10:55 AM Re: What's the best program???
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Nobby,
a program like Microsoft Word (or any other word processor) has a dictionary to check one's spelling; you can then copy and paste what you have written inside the Synthzone posting area (the one I am writing in right now, however is called).
Regards,
Andrea

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 04-18-2002).]

#91713 - 04/18/02 04:24 PM Re: What's the best program???
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Andrea,
Your right, a lot of people use Microsoft
Word! That would be a good program.
Is this an easy program to learn?
I bought an older used PC several years back that had a version I believe of M.W.,but when
I got my new PC it wouldn't load!
It was to old. But it had a dictionary!
Guess I'm going to have to update my PC somewhat!
Like to have a new one! But that's out of the question!
Thanks for your feedback on my problem!
God Bless you,
Nobby

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 04-18-2002).]

#91714 - 04/18/02 04:54 PM Re: What's the best program???
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Microsoft dominates the word processor world nowadays and continues to charge exorbitant prices for their products. But remember back when there was a contest among word processors? Word Perfect used to go neck and neck with Microsoft Word. Each program could just about do everything. Well, Word Perfect is still around, and dirt cheap. on CNET, the lowest price for Word Perfect Office 2000 was $84. But on E-bay, I saw lots of "new" Word Perfects going for under $20. Something like that would have a spell checker included in the package. As for being easy to learn, nobody will live long enough to figure out everything these office packages can do, but running the spell check usually involves nothing more than clicking on a picture of a dictionary, and everyone can figure out how to cut and paste.

#91715 - 04/19/02 08:19 AM Re: What's the best program???
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
Hit F7 in word, it will start the spell check.

There are plenty of ways to do a spell check for free on the internet. (babelfish, your yahoo email etc.)

#91716 - 04/19/02 09:18 AM Re: What's the best program???
Anonymous
Unregistered

The quickest/easiest way of spell checking text, is indeed the solution proposed by Andrea. But there are excellent totally free solutions, althought recommended only for experienced users, for those not afraid of computers. One example, for those who are curious, is http://www.lyx.org/ . It's based on a (not easy to learn) scientific writing package named "TeX/LaTeX" (used in the academic community), but this "front-end" makes things almost as easy as with Microsoft Word or Word Perfect. It uses a 100% free spell checker named "ispell" (or "aspell"). I won't get into details here, because it won't be a good solution for most of you guys, but those interested in further details are invited to e-mail me directly.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 04-19-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online