SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#91681 - 11/18/05 07:34 AM May be out of commission
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I bought a new CPU for my computer yesterday.
I will be attempting to get it operational this morning, so you may never hear from me again!
Of well, I'll use the laptop to keep in touch in the meantime.
DonM

#91682 - 11/18/05 11:40 AM Re: May be out of commission
DonM Offline

Got it on line at least. Now to start moving software and files.
This is mostly to test.
DonM

#91683 - 11/18/05 03:46 PM Re: May be out of commission
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It's not a tough job to install, but you have to work with the BIOS files a bit before everything elese will be functional.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#91684 - 11/18/05 04:07 PM Re: May be out of commission
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Well Don and Gary, we can always use a couple of tomatoe cans with string...I'm sure that you ol'e guys remember that from a few years ago...you know, before ram, hard drives, cells, laptops.....
Tony Rome

#91685 - 11/19/05 08:42 AM Re: May be out of commission
DonM Offline

Well, when I booted it, it took about 7 or 8 minutes to boot up. After it booted it was fine, except it didn't recognize the second DVD drive. I looked and the drive was plugged it correctly.
I spent most of the day deleting programs I didn't want (AOL, Norton, McAfee, etc), then installing stuff I did want (AVG, Zone Alarm, FireFox, etc.) I installed and ran PCTools and removed more than 200 bad registry entries.
Every time I changed something, I had to reboot of course, and it still took several minutes each time. I got online with Gateway and they couldn't find the problem, so they suggested I take it back to Circuit City and have their tech look at it. I did. He ran the restoration disk, and it was going to take hours because it was moving so slowly. He ascertained that the hard drive had problems and that they would return it to Gateway, so they refunded my money.
I came back home and booted the old one back up.
I had gotten a really KILLER deal on that computer. Pentium D with dual processor, 64-bit. 250 gig SATA hard drive, Dual Layer DVD burner and second DVD drive, 1024 mb memory, Windows Media Center software, all the bells and whistles. The "open box" price was $600. and that's why I couldn't resist.
I've found nothing else comparable for much under $1000.
Oh, well. . .
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online