SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#91605 - 03/12/06 04:02 PM Re: My new software setup!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
HI Tony,
BIAB does not let you play in realtime.
Jammer Live does, but there's not a great deal available in the way of styles. You can create your own apparently.

OMB also has a sequencer, plus an arranger section that can save as a midifile.
The arranger function works a bit like BIAB ie type in chord progression & drop n drag style parts & you've got a midi backing track in a matter of minutes.
One great thing about omb is that you can edit psr styles.
ie you can list event edit a track, you can save individual tracks & do a mix n match to create new styles, you can also save a whole part ie variatons, intro's etc & copy them to another style.
You can even convert & modify the velocity of drum tracks ie the style may have xg drums but the soundsource is gm, you can create conversion tables.

For the $50 or so dollars, it's a pretty amazing program.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony W:
[b]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 03-12-2006).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#91606 - 03/13/06 06:39 AM Re: My new software setup!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Sounds really good to me too. What is Hypersonic 2 (vst or soundfonts) and how much does it cost? Thanks for sharing those sounds.
With your P250 or DGX305 you can trigger fills, variations, etc with the lower notes of the keyboard? How well does Hypersonic sound using the Yamaha style files?
Starkeeper

#91607 - 03/13/06 08:00 AM Re: My new software setup!
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Hypersonic is a VST / DXI / Standalone sound module, with synth workstation capabilities. It's like a Yamaha Motif in software format. It has a big library of sounds and great editing capabilities. It's got a phrase arpegiator, the ability to create your own bank setups using your own patches. All patches can be triggered through midi messages. It comes with a preset GM library, that can be used with GM sounds for those who don't like to setup banks and patches by them selves. It's got a phrase arpeggiator, the only thing it hasn't got is a sampler, all samples are embeded in the system, so it's basically a ROMpler. The power of this system is wild! You get a great bang for the buck, the sounds are in my opinion superior to most hardware synths on the market today. If you have One Man Band software you can use yamaha styles to trigger HyperSonics sounds. You have to use MIDIYoke or some other kind of virtual midi patch bay to transfer the midi signals, but once you've done that you can run HyperSonic in GM mode and the patches will change without any editing what so ever. But if you put in some configuration work, you can access the full blown power of hypersonic. I'm currently working on a patch bank with Megavoice compatible patches for playback of Tyros styles. I will post more examples as I go along, but for now you can listen to the examples of what I allready posted. Fly me to the moon, is played by me in realtime using the Jazz Club style from the DGX-305, that is the same style that the Tyros has. FranklySoul is the intro and outro from the same style from the Tyros, megavoice.mp3 is my first attempt at creating a megavoice compatible patch, it needs more editing to be complete. I'm blown away by the power of this workstation! As for the costs, it's a bit expensive for a plugin, but it's worth every penny in my opinion! It retails at $399, but I've seen it on the web for $299. But for that money you get ALOT of music! Add the $50 for One Man Band, and it's not too shabby... if you allready have a keyboard and a computer with 512MB ram or more... well then $350 + some configuration time, and you've got yourself a Tyros

Doc-Z

Doc-Z

#91608 - 03/13/06 08:15 AM Re: My new software setup!
Starkeeper Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by doc-z:
Hypersonic is a VST / DXI / Standalone sound module, with synth workstation capabilities.

So you don't need a wrapper or vst host to use Hypersonic?
I have a computer with 512MB ram and Soundblaster sound card.
I have OMB.
I have a 61 key keyboard. 76 keys wud be better
I have Yamaha style files.
I have a 2.1 speaker system.
Starkeeper

#91609 - 03/13/06 08:06 PM Re: My new software setup!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Doc,
do you require some form of steinberg software to actually get the dongle , or is it part of the hypersonic software.

I have an old cubase floating round somewhere that used the old serial dongle. Maybe I could upgrade my cubase if required.

Just out of interest, can you change the drum mapping.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by doc-z:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#91610 - 03/13/06 11:34 PM Re: My new software setup!
doc-z Offline

I had to purchase a dongle, it was not included in the package, that cost $20 so it wasn't a big deal..

Yes you can make your own drum mappings, you can make your own kit of the samples you want, in the places you want. You can make velocity switched patches, you can do everything a sampler can do, just not import new samples, but you can make up patches using the vast library of included samples, just like a normal ROMpler.

You can use it inside a host, or stand-alone. I run it stand-alone for realtime work, since it gives me the best latency. As for using it with a soundblaster, I don't know how the ASIO drivers for those cards are, I'm using a Terratec Producer 22 card, and I get near zero latency. You need MIDI-Yoke from www.midiox.com or something simular to transfer the midi signals from OMB to HyperSonic, since OMB doesn't support rewire.

Doc-Z

#91611 - 03/14/06 05:58 AM Re: My new software setup!
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Doc-Z, I could not help but notice your comparison between Hypersonic 2 and Yamaha Motif sounds. I think Yamaha acquired Steinberg somewhere in the recent past. Am I right on this assumption?

#91612 - 03/14/06 06:49 AM Re: My new software setup!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#91613 - 03/14/06 12:18 PM Re: My new software setup!
Starkeeper Offline

Unfortunately the thread on the Synth Zone, "Yamaha buys Steinberg Yikes!!" is no longer available, but there were quite a few negative posts. Yamaha is not big on supporting old products (even old software). Should be interesting to see what direction they had in mind when they bought Steinberg. Maybe they will manufacture a keyboard with softsynths and compete with Niko, Abacus, etc.
Starkeeper

#91614 - 03/14/06 10:59 PM Re: My new software setup!
doc-z Offline

A lot of the sounds sound the same as the motif... But some are alot different. My guess is that the old samples from HyperSonic 1, developed by Wizoo, are different, and have a more Korgy sound, but the new Hypersonic 2 samples are very simular to the Motif, Hypersonic 2 was realeased a long time after version 1, and people were getting tired of waiting for a new version, so my guess is that Yamaha after aquirering steinberg helped in the development of Hypersonic 2. There are alot of simular functions to the motif, phrase arpeggiator and phrase library for instance, the editing modes and insert effects are very yamaha.

Doc-Z

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online