SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#91584 - 04/17/05 11:38 AM Registrations v.s. Gig disk for quickly acces
Matteo Offline

Loc: Croatia
Hello ewerybody!
I have PSR1500 for about 2 month and i like to hear your opinion about playing live
I use frequently about several styles(polka,waltz,beat,slow rock...),and mostly
mix the songs,without stopping,when I'm in the same rhythym
I start use registrations for quickly acces. I read about gig disk to!

I like to hear from you gays ,advantages and fault for both system,and is there
some else system to for quickly acces?
Thank you !!!

#91585 - 04/17/05 03:17 PM Re: Registrations v.s. Gig disk for quickly acces
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Matteo,

With the 1500 you, and most other keyboards, you can use both registrations and gig disks, and both can be stored on the USB storage device or smart media card. Access time is just one second at most, which is plenty fast enough. Additionaly, you can store a number of songs on your Music Finder Directory and make custom MFDs that will be similar in many ways to registrations. Lots of options to work with, all of which will provide you with seamless entertainment capabilities.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#91586 - 04/17/05 09:55 PM Re: Registrations v.s. Gig disk for quickly acces
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

This is from a post I did on SVP world some time ago. It is the system I use with the hard drive on my Tyros. I believe that the PSR1500 has mass storage like the PSR3000 doesn't it? If that's true you can then use the same system.

I am currently considering getting a PSR3000 and understand that what I save on one kb I can easily transfer to the other.

To me, this is a lot easier and especially the absolute quickest way to get from one song to the next as I describe it.

Hello

It seems we could all benefit on a thread with how you all use your hard drive, how you organized it.

So here goes. This is my current approach which works very well for me. It is a very fast way to go especially when performing live:

I use ten style categories on the hard drive which work out well because the window shows ten 'slots' per page.

I set mine up as Ballad, Country, Fox, Latin, Misc, Pop, R&B, Rock, Swing with sub folders Swing F(fast), Swing M(medium) and Swing S(slow)and Waltz. I use song title names followed by their style name and what keyboard the style came from.The Misc folder is to be used for new unique folders like Polka, Christmas, Irish (for St. Pats day), or anything in this nature.

I also notate if there are particular intros/endings, variations,and OTS settings I want to use.

I notate intros and endings as a, b, c rather than I,II,III. The variations are A, B, C, D and the OTS settings are 1, 2, 3, 4. If I want to use something other than OTS I use initials like P for piano, U for user voices, P3 for Registration Memory (or Preset) 3 etc.

This obviously needs to be abbreviated so all important info is visible in the screen . So for example:

Hello Dolly, Foxtrot, PSR2000 style, into b, variations B, C, D, Piano for solo, and ending c would look something like: HelloDlybBCDcP~Foxtrot2K. That way you can see the song title and the different setting but the style name and name of the keyboard the style came from is hidden unless you press "Name" and want to check to see what you've used already.

With Michael Bedesems Music Finder Program you can also print out this as a list and keep track of what styles you have used, if you are using a particular style or intro/ending too much or if you want each style to be different for each song.

Actually I have three sets of these 10 categories at present. The first 10 I put a small letter "a" before the category titles like a BALLAD, a COUNTRY, a FOX, etc. This denotes all the tunes I play by ear with no music. So far I have only put in my best , most used, and most popular tunes the audiences tend to like.

The second page of style categories looks like this: wr BALLAD, wr COUNTRY, wr FOX, etc. This page denotes tunes I use music for. I had to use the "wr" so it would go past the last entry on page one which is Waltz. While I could have used numbers for this, I find in a live situation the least amount of thinking is the best. So when I see the "r" in "wr" I think r=read music.

Currently my third page is for styles in the 10 categories that are good and ready to be used for a song, either to name it and put it on page one or two, or to just pick a style on the fly and play a song that fits that style. I list these with a "x" before the category stylesto force it to the 3rd page. Such as: x BALLAD, x COUNTRY, etc.

I put all my tunes first into the Music Finder after printing out the correct names and then deleting all those extra songs. So just my tunes go in. Much easier to deal with.

When entering a new song in the Music Finder, I first check my printout to see if its listed. If it is I see if I like it. If so I use that, but more often than not I pick a different style and speed as you will find out a lot of the song suggestions don't fit you. So I use the origianl Music Finder only as a starting point.

I put all my tunes in the Music Finder first with the different styles that fit, then pick the best one and put it on the hard drive. This way at the outside chance the hard drive would hang up, I can still keep going in a live situation.Then once I find the versions I like I transfer it over to the hard drive categories. Of course here we can change and save the OTS and speed, etc.

To save all info with the speed and OTS you must press Digital Recording/Style Creator/Assembly/Save/HD1/choose Style folder wanted/Save/OK or you will only save the style with its factory default setting. An unfortunate lesson to learn the hard way.

This is a super fast way to go from tune to tune in a live gig situation as compared to hunting around in the Music Finder. As you press the ending for one song, you can quickly decide what style and/or song you want to play next, press the right button or two, wait till the light goes out for your ending, press the new song title and off you go with absolutely no lost time whatsoever.

Then I have a folder named "zStorage". This title forces it to the last page. In it I have all kinds of files and folders like MIDI Songs, Styles, Registrations etc. All very neat (well kind of) and handy.

I have often used numbers to put things in order also.

When going though a disk or hard drive folder testing out external styles, I have found it a good idea to put a "0" in front of the style name for ones that sound good and looks like you can make use of it. They of course all jump to the front of the "pack" easy to narrow it down and zero in even at a latter date after you would have forgotten what you had done before.

This is all a lot easier to do then all these instructions look believe me, otherwise I would not have done it this way. I can think of no quicker way to get around in a live setting not knowing what the audience may want to hear until it happens on the spot.

Hope this food for thought is helpful.

Lets here some more ideas on how you use your hard drive.

Best

Scott
Actually in reading this I realized I no longer need to list page 2 as "wr". Now just "r" + style category will force it to the 2nd page for those tunes that I "read" music on.

Previously, page one I did not use the letter "a" and had no other choice then but to use "wr" so it would force it past Waltz.

Scott Langholff
http://www.ScottLMusic.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 04-17-2005).]

#91587 - 04/18/05 05:48 AM Re: Registrations v.s. Gig disk for quickly acces
Matteo Offline

Loc: Croatia
Thank you,Gary and Scott for your time and good explanation!

Scott,PRS1500 have mass storage(smart media),I have 128MB, and think this is more than i need.
Have USB to,but i only use to transfer data between kb. and pc.

I'm mostly play in seasson(from Juni to September)
Play accordion from long time and guitar to,and decide switch to kb.

Bouth PSR15 because think dont need vocaliser(on the stage is two,three of us and sing in two or three voices)
and think this is pretty good kb for me(cheaper too)
Almost everything i play by ear. Ofcourse ,have book of words in front of me,and in some songs
above the words put the name of accord what i must play.

So, i'm new in this world of playin,and i try to put things like you are,
think this is very good idea put some prefix in the name of folder and force to last page
because when switch beetwen midi,user style,user voice,registrations,always see folder in every area

I only dont undrestand music finder. Can i associate with user styles(with different OTS)?
Where i find explanations about makin my own MF?

Thanks for sharing your expiriences with me !!

#91588 - 04/18/05 09:05 AM Re: Registrations v.s. Gig disk for quickly acces
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Matteo,

One of the best ways to learn about your new keyboard is to visit the PSR Tutorial's Lessons Section where you find detailed information on how to use not only the MFD, but all the other functions as well. Nearly all of the instructions for the PSR-2000/2100 also apply to the PSR1500/3000 with some minor differences.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online