SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#91458 - 08/27/02 01:58 PM Genesys from General Music
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I am not sure if this has been posted recently or not but the new Genesys has MP3 audio files to listen to. www.generalmusic.com Click the "play your dreams" link. This could be old hat but this is the first I've noticed them. My conclusion of the different style sounds is less than thrilling. I thought they were mediocre at best. I thought the Tyros demo sounds were much better.

#91459 - 08/27/02 02:49 PM Re: Genesys from General Music
eyrec Offline

Loc: UK
I think they are more endings from styles rather than demos. I've heard and played the Genesys and ordered one straight away. The CD's that come with it are great and the free microphone is also good for using in the house, well done Gem for including these. You can't judge anything on a demo. The Tyros is reasonable but still sounds to me like a PSR 9000. I'd personally never buy a Yamaha or Technics because the sounds and styles never get me excited or say buy me. Everyone is to their own and has different tastes.
What we need are some decent MP3's from the Genesys, not these mediocre snippets. I'm sure someone out there can post some?

Quote:
Originally posted by Idatrod:
I am not sure if this has been posted recently or not but the new Genesys has MP3 audio files to listen to. www.generalmusic.com Click the "play your dreams" link. This could be old hat but this is the first I've noticed them. My conclusion of the different style sounds is less than thrilling. I thought they were mediocre at best. I thought the Tyros demo sounds were much better.

#91460 - 08/27/02 07:40 PM Re: Genesys from General Music
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
My opinion of both the Genesys (I have it in my store) and Tryros (I had one for a few hours) are that they are both great in the style and sound department. I too have heard the MP3 demo's of both and the Genesys demo's don't to this keyboard justice! It's nothing like the few demo's I heard. One of the things important to know is that the Solton SG-1 which is the model of the Generalmusic Genesys sold by the German Company Solton, has been "tweeked" for the German market and doesn't sound the same as the Genesys. I love this keyboard and my customers have been blown away by the sound and style quality.
Do not judge Tyros by past yamaha keyboards like the 9000 series. You will be pleasently surprised when you hear the TYROS in person. the styles are exciting!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#91461 - 08/27/02 11:36 PM Re: Genesys from General Music
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
That's very true George, never judge a book, or shall I say a "keyboard" by its cover, ie., sub quality sound files on the internet:-). You would think GeneralMusic would at least put some decent demo sounds on their web site which would help promote their product better. Since you have heard the Genesys firsthand I will trust your opinion. But to those who haven't heard it in person would probably shy away from it after listening to those poor quality sound bites on their site. The Tyros demos were so much better that they actually got me excited right from the get go. Seems Yamaha knows how to promote their products "marketing" much better to the public, by the fact they make sure what people hear of their keyboards will tantalize not only their ears but their pocketbooks, notwithstanding that they are also the #1 maker and seller of pianos and keyboards. It seems the Genesys will be out of reach to all but those with deep pockets if the selling price is any where near the retail price. It has a lot of nice features but give me a break, $4,500? And not even 128 polyphony:-( But as my grandmother always said the proof is in the puddin', so I will have to see and hear the Genesys for myself and then decide.

#91462 - 08/28/02 06:10 AM Re: Genesys from General Music
ziggy Offline

Loc: Malta
I don't won't to start a CONTROVERSEY over here but I think that the price of $4500 is over Exagerated I have put a deposite and the pirce is much much lower than that (I LIVE IN EUROPE) I am not going to give the price but all I can tell you for those who can wait give it time and the price will go down.

[This message has been edited by ziggy (edited 08-28-2002).]

#91463 - 08/28/02 10:39 AM Re: Genesys from General Music
eyrec Offline

Loc: UK
The price I've just paid for my Genesys in the UK was also condiserably less than the retail price, just shop around. By the way, no 2 week wait it comes tomorrow, yippeeee.
I agree that General Music has put shabby demos on their site though. They have however been good enough to put the full operating manuals on for download so anyone can see it's full features. Full marks to them for this, just stick some damn good tunes and sounds on please, before people are converted to the dark side (Technics and Yamaha).

#91464 - 08/28/02 11:31 AM Re: Genesys from General Music
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I believe that was only a "suggested retail price".

I am sure that George Kay will sell it for lower price.

Also remember that this is one of the first next-generation keyboard to arrive, so when the others arrive (like Telos and other ones), the price will even go lower.

#91465 - 08/28/02 03:30 PM Re: Genesys from General Music
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Just to let you know, I do sell for less than retail prices. I am just trying to follow the rules around here and not quote prices on the forum. Customers may contact me directly to get my price.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online