SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#91253 - 12/12/01 11:00 PM Windows XP & Music Software Programs
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just got a new computer: Dell Dimension 8200; Pentium 4, 1.8 gigahertz, 512megbytes Ram & 40 gig HD running Windows XP home version.

Before purchasing the Dell, I checked with the folks at Cakewalk and they said that Cakewalk Sonar is 100 per cent compatible with both the Dell 8200, Windows XP, as well as the M-Audio Midiman PCI Delta 66 sound card I plan to use to record digital audio. I'm now wondering if my other music programs (Band in a Box 10, EMC Styleworks Universal 1.6, Sound Forge, Style Edit, CASMedit, Cakewalk Overture ) and other general software programs will be compatible with Windows XP.

I'm interested in hearing from Windows XP users ,as well as others here, to find out if there are any known music programs (or any other specific software programs) that are incompatible with Windows Xp.

- Scott

#91254 - 12/13/01 02:14 AM Re: Windows XP & Music Software Programs
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott.....WinXP...Cubase,Cakewalk,SoundForge,EMC Style Works Universal, BIAB all run fine on my XP.
The No-No's on my XP are Yamaha XG Works, XG50 SoundDriver, Roland VSC88.
I emailed Yamaha about the XGWorks and all they could say is there is a new version out in Jan 02.
Most of the problems are possibly down to Bill Gates. XP will not let you even try to load a program if its OS does not like it.
Information to other forum readers...If everything is running to ones satisfaction do not change to WinXP unless you are really intent upon making Bill Gates even richer.

I use Norton Ghost Image to enable me to quickly (within 10 minutes) have either XP or SE running on my PC.
The other alternative is make a dual boot system.

Graham UK

#91255 - 12/13/01 03:39 AM Re: Windows XP & Music Software Programs
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Scott
I had the same problem with XP Profi and music programs ( Encore,Cake,Band,Yamie etc)
Now,my compu is working with a HD partition and two OS .
When I start it I can choice :
1-Windows ME for music programs.
2-XP profi for Internet,Office XP, etc.
Regards,Chico

#91256 - 12/13/01 09:15 AM Re: Windows XP & Music Software Programs
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
The only program that I couldn't run on Windows XP was Cubase. This never worked for me under Win2000 either but worked just fine under Win98/ME. Since Windows XP code is mainly based on Win2K, I didn't really expect it to work.
Other than that, SoundForge, WaveLabs, Cakewalk Sonar, ProAudio 9 all work great!

Regards
- Claude

#91257 - 12/13/01 09:30 PM Re: Windows XP & Music Software Programs
Scottyee Offline

Thanks a lot for all the great advice.
Ex- cel-lent ! Now I just got to find the time (amist the rest of the holiday madness) to set up the Dell and get all the stuff on my current computer (HP Celeron) ported over. Wish me luck!

#91258 - 12/13/01 10:16 PM Re: Windows XP & Music Software Programs
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Scott
I'll bet your KN5k TechManager hard disk connection won't work on your new computer. It wouldn't work on mine. I have to use my old laptop with the "IBM" style parallel port. Good thing your moving over to yYmaha, huh?
Tom

#91259 - 12/13/01 10:43 PM Re: Windows XP & Music Software Programs
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Tom, have you checked out with Keysoft Service
if there is a updated driver for the Techmanager?
Or maybe a program update?
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#91260 - 12/13/01 11:04 PM Re: Windows XP & Music Software Programs
Scottyee Offline

Tom: Hey, Are you kidding me? What OS(Windows XP, 98, Me, 2000, or?) did it not work on for you? I had thought because the Dell Dimension 8200 includes a bi-directional parrallel port that it would work with TechManager. I somehow recall that the parallel port had to be bi-directional. Sounds like I may have to keep my older HP computer around and dedicate it specifically to TechManager.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online