SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#91246 - 11/13/02 03:02 PM Re: PSR2K: Running MONO out the L/L+R Jack produces INFERIOR sound !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by cam8neel:
Can't you always just use both speakers together all the time so that it's a non-factor? Angelo

Yes, it's nicer to use both speakers, but not always realisticly convenient. For a full evening gig, yes, but for my type of gig schedule that occasionally consists of several single short 45 minute shows (back to back) at DIFFERENT venue locations thru the day, keeping setup/breakdown/transport time to under 10 minutes is essential.

#91247 - 11/13/02 03:17 PM Re: PSR2K: Running MONO out the L/L+R Jack produces INFERIOR sound !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi ScottY and all:

This is very interesting. I now wonder how much of a difference this made when I was testing different speakers? I tried going out mono on the L/R jack like it's supposed to be designed for. I did this with Roland amps, EVsx100's and some others. I did not like the sound that much. As a matter of fact when I tried the EV's I thought they sounded awful.

OMG Scott !
I can FULLY understand why you were so under-impressed with the sound now.
I think Yamaha needs to issue a WARNING that going out MONO thru the L/L+R jack can GREATLY diminish the quality of the sound of instrument sounds (voices) that rely on DSP effects. If I had only judged the PSR2000 and EVs thru the L/L+R mono output, I too would have passed on the SxA100's. Thanks goodness I didn't because even if connected to the R output only, the 2000 still sounds quite impressive.

#91248 - 11/13/02 03:38 PM Re: PSR2K: Running MONO out the L/L+R Jack produces INFERIOR sound !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Soundwaves and radio waves have similar if not identical properties. An extreme example of phase cancellation occurs when two or more ( more makes the effect more pronouced ) signals from the same transmitter arrive at your receiver at slightly different times. For anyone who has ever listened to a distant AM station at night or a distant shorwave station, you will notice that when you listen to the station, the audio quality becomes slightkly distorted as your receiver picks up multiple signals from the same source. This is due to the phase differences that take place when two or more signals are mixed. It becomes a lot more pronounced though because not only are the signals being mixed, they are also arriving at different times as one or more signals travels over a much longer distance ie ..it is reflected off the ionosphere or possibly traveling around the world ( aka "long path" ) to get to your reciever, while the closest signal may be traveling almost directly to your receiver from the antenna.

Although I'm not suggesting that the distortion would approach what I describe above, it is present in a similar manner ( as Simon suggests ), and it will have some effect on the sound quality, depending on what effects are used and how much phasing is introduced.

AJ

#91249 - 11/13/02 04:10 PM Re: PSR2K: Running MONO out the L/L+R Jack produces INFERIOR sound !
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

It has just dawned on me as I run this info through the old mental computer that this is why when only one of my JBL's arrived and the other a day or two late, that when I tried only one it was like OK, and better than that blasted Peavey, but a far cry from two JBL's in stereo.

This probably explains why I was very unhappy with the sound of the Peavey KB300, and also when I ran my PSR2000 through the speaker/amplification section of the top of the line Lowrey organ.

Life sure has interesting lessons hey?

Which brings up the point how much I appreciate this forum and you cats. This and people like Joe Waters, Michael Bedesem,The Yahoo PSR-style forum, ScottY, Uncle Dave and way too many other names to mention. I feel you guys are really family and I sure do like that feeling.

Bye

Scott

#91250 - 12/03/02 12:21 AM Re: PSR2K: Running MONO out the L/L+R Jack produces INFERIOR sound !

New idea/question. What will be the result if I plug the L channel of the PSR2000 to channel 1 of my Peavey KB300 (ouch), and the R channel of the 2K to channel 2 of the Peavey? Or say even a Barbetta 32c? Would this give me the full sound I want, or would this be one of those eletronic things that I don't totally understand where one cancels something out of the other channel in terms of power, signal , sound?

Scott Langholff

#91251 - 12/03/02 12:25 AM Re: PSR2K: Running MONO out the L/L+R Jack produces INFERIOR sound !

I wonder how all this works on a Tyros???

Scott Langholff

#91252 - 12/03/02 08:12 AM Re: PSR2K: Running MONO out the L/L+R Jack produces INFERIOR sound !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
This thread being bumped up to the top reminded me that after reading Scott's post,instead of just using the L/R Mono line of my kn6000 plugged into my Peavey amp (mono, not stereo), I tried plugging the L/R into one input and the R into another ... I was amazed at how much better, fuller, the sound was ..... Thanks again, guys.... Sorry I hadn't posted this sooner, because it is probably something we all should try even if we are using a mono system ...
t.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online