SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#91214 - 01/16/00 03:56 PM Problem with my PSR-8000 !!
Sam Noels Offline

Loc: New York
Hi everybody! First of all, sorry for my English.

I've read and write already very much about my PSR-8000 in this message board (Mostly in the old forum). I'm overall very satisfied with this wonderful machine, and is - to my opinion - the most comfortable keyboard around, and beats the X1 completely, and have nice sounds and so-so styles and features. And according to the models I owned before, as PSR-500, then PSR-730, it's an amazing keyboard.

But recentely I discovered a new problem which bothers me very much! And I want from all of you who owns a PSR-8000 should try this out.

One of the most advanced features I found in the PSR-8000 more than previous models, that mostly you have different settings on any part, (Lead, R1, R2, Left), for example touch responce, pitch bend, sustain. and many more functions. On the PSR-740 when you set touch responce ON, it's affects all parts together. but in the PSR-8000 you can set each part for itself on/off and level, etc.

However, in the PSR-8000 I'm playing left hand with touch responce ON, and I love to control it manually, sometimes higher and sometimes lower. And lately I found out that my first button (C1) does not have touch responce! and even I press it very slow it plays very hard!

What can I do to it? Please help me some of you!

#91215 - 01/16/00 06:40 PM Re: Problem with my PSR-8000 !!
DannyUK Offline

Hey Uncle Dave, you were saying about you missed the Rasheed type statements, well heres one for you in this very post, the PSR8000 'beats the X1 completely'. Hmmmmmmmm...

Anyway Sam, I used to own the PSR8000 a moon ago (well it seems it since I got the X1) and I have to admit I have never come across your type of problem before as I used all 4 voice at a time and all were fine. I think it may depend on what voice you select? Some voices especially on XG have effects & touch response turned off automatically. Maybe this is what your experiencing!

Danny (UK)

#91216 - 01/16/00 07:15 PM Re: Problem with my PSR-8000 !!
Les Swartz Offline

Loc: Fremont, NE USA
Hopefully, that is an opinion from a pro, cause as an amateur who has both the 8000 and X1, I find the X1 easier to use, much more realistic styles, far better instrument sounds, a vocalizer far ahead of the 8000's, better touch and a recognizable after-touch. I bought the 8000 used and don't regret it, but it "ain't" no X1.

#91217 - 01/17/00 06:25 AM Re: Problem with my PSR-8000 !!
Sam Noels Offline

DannyUK! I'm very upset on your opinion to put me in the same level as Rasheed who is a low life guy and I hate him the same as you. I didn't do anything, just to write "to my opinion" that the PSR-8000 layout is easier than the X1. I didn't play already on an X1, just see my friend playing. And it's looks like for me very hard to use, at least for first-time users, and all of you have been writing the same already, that you have to play at least a few days to become familier with the X1. But the PSR-8000 is very easy to use. I'm not speaking from the voices and styles! What's wrong with my opinion? After all I'm in the US where everybody may let hear his voice and opinion, even worser opinions than my. Danny, since I'm reading and posting in this message board (about a 1/2 year) I've loved to read your comments, and I got many useful answers from you on my questions (OK, I was signed with a different name), and the first time now I'm very upset!

However, to your answer: this is not my problem. My problem is that all the keys are touch responce except my first key differs from the other keys. Maybe I will go back to the store I bought it for help.

Now one more question. I don't know what is "After touch"? In my PSR-8000 I try it out so many times, I change "After touch" from Off to On, and changing levels, but see no different. Maybe some of you can explain me how to try it out and how can I take advantage of this feature.

Again, sorry for my English.

[This message has been edited by Sam Noels (edited 01-17-2000).]

#91218 - 01/17/00 07:02 AM Re: Problem with my PSR-8000 !!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sam, Aftertouch allows you to modify the sound or effects by pressing a little harder on the keys. It is editable, meaning you can assign different functions to it. Most of the time aftertouch is set to vibrato, and you can add it by pressing harder on the key. I noticed on the 8000, the default settings require you to press fairly hard on the keys to activate the effect, but you can set the 8000 so that less pressure is required, then save your settings in registration memory.
P.S. I totally agree that the 8000 is far easier to learn than the X1, after having played both of them for several months, five nights a week. The X1 has vast capabilities and great sound, but it's hard to learn, particularly if you're not a veteran Solton player.

#91219 - 01/17/00 08:04 AM Re: Problem with my PSR-8000 !!
DannyUK Offline

Sam!

Oh dear, I appear to have done something in which I no way was intending to do, and thats to offend or upset anybody. Unfortunately, you mis-interpreted my statement thinking I was comparing you to Rasheed (as I was not), but only merely jokingly responding to another post here within the forum posted by Dave with regards to some 'suprising' comments missing from this forum recently, and then straight after I read Daves post I read your post and the first thing I read was your PSR8000 comments of it 'beats the X1 completely' which therefore I thought that was a bit extreme seeing that theres a 2 year gap in quality for starters and also a dozen other things that are better on the X1.

I also owned a PSR8000 for a long time and I really loved it to bits during its time, I made a lot of songs on it and used the harmonizer as well as SMF play back. There are even some features I miss on the PSR8000 and in some ways it is easier to use than the X1, but when I got the X1 and then mastered it in a way that I was very comfortable in most features, the PSR8000 became a distant memory, certainly in terms of sounds and styles. This is only natural as progression is always ahead of you.

I apologise for offending you, i never meant to at all, it was only a 'passing comment' not directing it at anybody. I in no way put you in any sort of league to Rasheed because he was a total waste of space, whereas your posts here are very much valued and we always look forward to posts from people like yourselves who at the end of the day make this forum the wonderful place it
has become.

Again, I am sorry.
Kind regards,

Danny (UK)

#91220 - 01/18/00 11:23 AM Re: Problem with my PSR-8000 !!
George Garrett Offline

Loc: Victoria.B.C. Canada
Hi Gang,

Am I to understand from the foregoing that the hated (by me)touch response of the 8000 can be switched OFF? The first thing I do on playing my own machine, the 730,is to switch off T.R. but when playing on my brothe'r 8000,am very disconcerted by the uneven-ness of volume, at various points during the performance. My brother, the better musician, has no trouble with T.R. by the way, but I don't think even he knows that T.R. can be switched off - if that, indeed, be the case.

Philistine that I am, I don't see the need for "Touch Response" in electronic keyboards, anyway...they're great for rock, swing,pops, etc, but the delicacies of Debussy, or the subtleties of Schumann, are best performed on a proper piano. I say this as one who loves to belt out Baroque, or run thro the Romantics, on my (t.r.-less)730, anyway.

So, say that it IS so, Joes...please tell me that one CAN switch off the touch response (when playing the melody, at least) on the PSR 8000...after that, all I have to do, is to presuade bruv...

Best wishes

------------------

[This message has been edited by George Garrett (edited 01-18-2000).]

#91221 - 01/18/00 12:01 PM Re: Problem with my PSR-8000 !!
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi George & All
Here's my very humble comments on touch response... I started playing years ago on the organ. I was "self-taught" and certainly no Pro. When I switched to keyboards, I hated the T.R. feature. I felt it resulted in less than adequate (and unpredictable) volume levels. And made me have to "bang the keys" harder.
Then, I decided to work with it. At first, I set it to a low level - so that it was just a subtle effect. As I learned more, I set the levels higher. What I discovered is that it makes for MUCH MORE expressiveness (is that a word?). In fact, it just makes my playing sound so much better now. On my Roland EM2000 (and old E96), even the left hand arranger parts can use touch response. This is a beautiful feature that allows a lot more variation and expression in my playing. I am still learning to use T.R. to best effect, but it is definitely a great improvement with it turned on. I only wish my Technics KN5000 had the left hand T.R. like the Roland!
Tom

#91222 - 01/19/00 05:53 AM Re: Problem with my PSR-8000 !!
Sam Noels Offline

The same me. I was hating touch response a few years ago, when I started to play on pro keyboard. But within the time I discovered that touch responce is beautiful, especially when playing slower songs, and using saxophone, or Sweet-trumpet (in Yamaha models), violin, and more, and using a drop of pitch bend make it even nicer. But when I'm playing faster-type songs (and using like brass sounds), I usually turn OFF the T.R. feature.

To turn OFF this feature in the PSR-8000, press the "Function" button, then press the "C" button to the left of the LCD, then the "G" button to the right, and again "C". Here you can set T.R. ON/OFF for each part saperately (Right & Left), and change levels (Hard, soft, etc.)

And that's where my problem is, because usually I like T.R. ON to my left voice, and the left voice sounds very nice with touch response, but lately my first key (C1) on the keyboard makes problems. It won't recognize touch sensitivity. And that's is very botherful.

#91223 - 01/20/00 09:30 AM Re: Problem with my PSR-8000 !!
George Garrett Offline

Loc: Victoria.B.C. Canada
Thank you TomTom and Sam - encouraged by your experiences, I'm going to give T.R. another go...But, just in case, Sam, I'll take note of how to switch it off in the 8000, and try it out on the model that I have my eye on, in my local music store.

Cheers, Mates

George

------------------

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online