SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#90547 - 09/05/03 07:04 AM Re: OMG! PLG150-DR & 9000 Pro works!
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I'll be ordering one of thesewith my new ES !!!

Thanks Jim

AJ

#90548 - 09/05/03 10:27 AM Re: OMG! PLG150-DR & 9000 Pro works!
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Jim,

Very interesting comparison. Different sounds for sure. The PLG card, to me sounds powerful, a somewhat electronic sound, definitely an in-your-face sound.

In regards to the "dsldemo.mid", 53 seconds into the piece there is a patch change, same bank but changing to patch #2. On my Edirol SD-90 which comes with XGLite voices, the piece starts off with StandardKit 1 but switches to StandardKit 2 at that point (like it should). There is a definite difference there (I prefer kit #1). I'm not sure if I hear a change with the PLG card. Is there? The Edirol XGLite sounds way different than the PLG, a lot closer to the original 9000 Pro sound, I think. Yet I still like it. One could argue which one sounds more "natural" or "acoustic".

Like I said, it was very interesting to hear this...Thanks!

mike

#90549 - 09/05/03 10:50 AM Re: OMG! PLG150-DR & 9000 Pro works!
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Jim,

I can see why you like the PLG-DR board much more than the stock 9000 Pro Live Drums. The DR sounds considerably more realistic and has much longer samples. While I'd like to have heard the demos without reverb, I think it gets the point across. Still I prefer a sampler for drums over any arranger or even module drums although my Roland XV5080 does have some nice drum sounds.

#90550 - 09/10/03 06:51 AM Re: OMG! PLG150-DR & 9000 Pro works!
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
just stumbled onto this thread -- so is it possible to use the DR card in connection w/ the 9kpro's onboard styles? how cumbersome is it to set up each style that way? (guess the easiest way would be via registrations...)
are you still liking the sounds of the DR?
thanks in advance for any/all insights...

#90551 - 09/10/03 12:49 PM Re: OMG! PLG150-DR & 9000 Pro works!
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Tom: it is not possible to use the PLG150-DR with the onboard styles of the 9000 Pro. I've tried many tricks that all failed, and Yamaha specifically told me that the styles would not work with the DR - only with midi files.

I love the sounds of the DR but modifying each of my midi files with the SysEx needed to assign MIDI channel 10 to the DR and select the proper drumkit, plus edit the drum sounds and remix the arrangements, is a serious pain that I'd like to avoid. I'm debating whether it's worth the effort to modify and remix hundreds of my live files that I use or if I just want to stick the DR into a new Motif ES 8 I'm getting at the end of this month and just use it exclusively in the studio. Since I'm dreading reworking my midis, the latter option looks good at this stage.

#90552 - 01/04/04 08:05 AM Re: OMG! PLG150-DR & 9000 Pro works!
Sherpa Offline

Loc: Mexico City, MEXICO
Dear Friends.

I'm like yours with a PLG150-DR & 9000pro, uncompatibility problems, this forum is very interesting I hope that this encourage Yamaha to really look for the final customer and program a new OS that supports PLG150-DR or PLG150-PC with the 9000pro.

Me as you tried to find information of the relation of this products, but was very dificult, the only really stuff I found was this forum. Bluezplayer and The Pro has the reason, we as final users are alone with our expensive unusefull Yamaha equipment.

Cheers

CF

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online