SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#90292 - 10/02/07 09:23 AM Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hello all,

After removing Norton Systemworks a year ago because it really slowed down my PC, I replaced it with Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 2007 (version 7.0.337.000). Starting yesterday (following latest Virus Def update) Zone Alarm is acting up and now, every time I run a virus scan, sometime right in the middle of the scan, I get the following/similar error message :

---------------------------------------------

The instruction at "0x7c901010' referenced memory at "0x0179bc9c". The memory could not be read.
click on ok to terminate the program

The instruction at "0x7c9010f3' referenced memory at "0x0179bc90". The memory could not be written.

click on ok to terminate the program

---------------------------------------------

This is happening on both of my two PCs in which (multi-user (3) version) Zone Alarm is installed.

On one of my PC's, I attempted to de-install Zone Alarm (via add/remove programs) and then reinstalled it, only to discover on reboot that my PC would now no longer boot into Windows. I then had to boot into SAFE MODE. I went into add/remove programs and didn't see Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite listed. I then checked the C:\Program Files\Zone Labs folder but noticed 'not just one', but 2 Zone Labs folders now: Zone Labs and Zone Labs (2), so suspect when attempting to reinstall, the (partially aborted?) install created the 2nd Zone Labs folder. Being now that I want to delete 'all traces' of Zone Alarm Security Suite files from my PC before reinstalling (or perhaps purchasing something completely different now after this fiasco), I dragged both Zone Labs folders to the trash and emptied it.

Ok, now I NO protection (either virus or firewall) on this PC, so have come here for help in deciding what to do.

Should I ditch Zone Alarm Internet Security completely and purchase another Firewall/Virus Security instead, or simply re-install Zone Alarm? If you recommend re-installing Zone Alarm again, what do I need to do to COMPLETELY REMOVE all traces of Zone Alarm from my PC first.

If you recommend another internet security suite program, WHICH ONE do you recommend? Is Norton Internet Security Suite 2008 better than earlier versions of Norton?

Thanks for all help and assistance.

Scott

#90293 - 10/02/07 09:38 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Dnj Offline

Avg ...its FREE
http://free.grisoft.com/

#90294 - 10/02/07 09:58 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Scott

May be you still have some traces of Norton and Zone alarm.
Step 1:You must clean all traces in windows/program files.
Step 2:You must run your defrag tool.
As said by Donny, install AVG (free software)and adios problems.

Chico

#90295 - 10/02/07 10:21 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Scott,

whenever I get an error message I put it into the google search engine and voila: you are directed to several computer geek forums with lots of answers.
Worked so far for me everytime.
I fixed a lot of problems this way not knowing anything about computers. Just printed out the answers and followed each step carefully.

Good luck

Eric

#90296 - 10/02/07 10:38 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
jwyvern Offline

Scott,
Removing Norton products is difficult (bit like removing ticks from your dog, they usually leave their teeth behind LOL!)

If you didn't use it already there's an official Norton Removal tool here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

I,ve been using the free avg for antivirus for about 6 months and it seems to be OK. Others I know who have been using it a lot longer seem very happy with it. I find it only slows the PC if you let it do a full system scan at the same time as you're actually using the PC.
I don't have experience with its use as a firewall - since I'm happy with Zone Alarm!

If you use Win XP you should be able to turn on Windows firewall - it'll protect you incoming, although I don't believe it alerts you to any programs trying to send stuff out from your PC, as ZA would for instance.

John

#90297 - 10/02/07 10:45 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Scott
The error messages you are getting normally relate to a conflict with another program.
Never remove folders from the Program files folder, only use the Add/Remove programs, or its own uninstaller.
As well as typing the error massage into Google (Always a good first step) check on the Microsoft Support site and the Zone Alarm support site.
The best move is to restore your computer to a time before the problem occurred. (If it occurred with more then one computer, then there is most likely a problem with the downloaded files) Check the web site to see if any problems have been identified, if not you can try again (Just make sure you disable any program that is not required to run the OS)
Hope this helps

Bill

#90298 - 10/02/07 10:58 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scottyee Offline

First of thanks to EVERYONE for your thoughtful replies. Thanks for the google suggestions. I did that, as well as posted on Za's support forum site, but never got a response back, but after reading the many varying answers on the various forums, became further frustrated & confused.

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Scott
The error messages you are getting normally relate to a conflict with another program.
Never remove folders from the Program files folder, only use the Add/Remove programs, or its own uninstaller.

The best move is to restore your computer to a time before the problem occurred. (If it occurred with more then one computer, then there is most likely a problem with the downloaded files)

Oops, Forgot to mention ABOVE that I indeed did perform a SYSTEM RESTORE to before the problem began, and of which now allows me to boot up in Windows XP properly again. Problem is now that even the though the Zone Alarm registry files may have been restored back to before the problem began, Za alarm no longer starts up or shows up in the system tray, and when I go into C:\Programs Files, I still see TWO (2) Zone Labs Folders with files within, yet Zone Alarm is not listed in "add/remove prgrams" anymore. That is the reason I had to manually deleted the TWO folders.

Ok, this all said, you think it's SAFE to attempt re-installing Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite at THIS point? Thanks.

Scott

#90299 - 10/02/07 12:07 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Scott...
For pure virus protection..don't overlook Donny's suggestion. http://free.grisoft.com/
Eddie

#90300 - 10/02/07 02:34 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

Za alarm no longer starts up or shows up in the system tray, and when I go into C:\Programs Files, I still see TWO (2) Zone Labs Folders with files within, yet Zone Alarm is not listed in "add/remove prgrams" anymore. That is the reason I had to manually deleted the TWO folders.

Ok, this all said, you think it's SAFE to attempt re-installing Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite at THIS point? Thanks.

Scott

Personally Scott, I probably would try reinstalling eventually, but would buy myself a little more thinking/research time say by switching on Windows firewall rather than jumping in straight away.
If you look in the ZoneAlarm Program Folder you may find a zauninst.exe file if that's not one of those already deleted!!! Clicking on those (one in each folder?) may uninstall the files for you since you can't find ZAlarm in Add/Remove Programs.
The cleaner you can get it before reinstalling, the better it might be.

John

#90301 - 10/02/07 02:39 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Avg ...its FREE
http://free.grisoft.com/

Hi Donny. Yep, I've heard good things about AVG, and the fact that it's free makes it all the more interesting. Curious if the free version offers 'as much' protection as the ones you have to pay for, such as Karparsky anit-virus (included in Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite) & Norton Anti-virus. Anyone know?

That said, and the fact that want a COMPLETE all in one internet protection software package (with spyware, ad blocking, and firewall protection as well), wondering what you guys think of the $59.95 paid version: AVG Internet Security package. How does this AVG Secuirity Suite compare to the competition? Is it worth the expense? Also, if you use the free version of AVG, what do you recommend for spyware & ad blocking protection? Thanks. - Scott

#90302 - 10/02/07 02:51 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I used to use Norton protection products until it became clear that they were making my computer run at half speed.

To regain performance I un-installed Norton and used the MacAffee "Internet Security", which was better apart from the fact that the anti-spam part of the product completely locked my machine for 10 minutes when e-mail came in, and then had quite a high false-alarm rate so I ended up checking e-mails by hand anyway.

So when the 12 month renewal premium cam in (and would cost me more than buying it new again at the local PC store) that went too.

Now I use the free version AVG Anti-virus from GriSoft and it hasn't let me down yet.

Spam is filtered using rules in Outlook; crude but effective. I'm thinking of changing Broadband provider so that will force a change of e-mail address which hopefully will stop a lot of **** for a while!

You may still feel the need for a Firewall. If your PC hooks up to the internet via a broadband router of some decription then you are already protected by a hardware firewall and so it can be argued that you don't need a software firewall at all. I'm not sure I'm totally happy with that argument, although at present I'm just using the standard "Windows XP SP2" firewall and it hasn't registered any naughty access attempts in 9 months so maybe the conjecture is correct!

Nevertheless "Comodo Personal Firewall" has been mentioned in a few GB PC Magazines as a pretty good system, and recommended to me at times, and it is also free. http://www.comodo.com/

#90303 - 10/02/07 02:55 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I use AVG free...never any problems...

Ian

#90304 - 10/02/07 02:57 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
abacus Offline

Hi Scott
You can re-install Zone, but make sure you have no other programs running, and manually set up a restore point. (Also create a restore point before you manually update any software)
No Security suite is perfect but the top names, Norton, Fsecure, Zone, AVG, even MacAfee are all pretty good, so just go for the one that you can get the best deal on.
Make sure you un-install any other security software before installing another one.
Hope this helps

Bill

#90305 - 10/02/07 03:41 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've used AVG on all computers for several years. It's great. I also use Zonealarm with no problems.
DonM

#90306 - 10/02/07 04:07 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Scott

My protection
1-AVG free version (for years and years)
2-Ad aware SE from Lavasoft
3-Microsoft XP firewall

My AVG is scheduled to update every day at 09.00am .

Chico

#90307 - 10/02/07 06:06 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
A little off topic but I use a disk image program it creates an image of your hard drive. you can restore it anytime you like, it does a complete restore erases and overwrites the drive back to the date you saved the last image.
It is almost automatic tell it to do an image and walk away in an hour it's done.
You'll never have to reinstall windows or any programs.
I use it before I change anything on my computer that way if it doesn't work tell it reinstall and walk away in an hour it's like it never happened. It even works if you have to swap out a new hard drive in case yours fails.
It will also boot from a cd to restore your computer.
Best 75 dollars I ever spent. I save to a usb drive,, I have a back up of the computer when it was new and further down the line as I installed programs and they were working right I made other images.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-02-2007).]

#90308 - 10/02/07 06:28 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Scotty....I also use AVG Free version it runs everyday...
SPYBOT Free version....run once a week...
AD-AWARE Free Version....run once a week
and no problems....with Norton I always had problems, PC-cillin always had problems....
with McAfee....always had problems....
Hope you fix the problem, good luck
TR

#90309 - 10/02/07 09:11 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Yup..Tony,
Your protection is identical to mine. Love that AVG Grisoft.

Prior, I bought and tried to use Norton, and later McAfee...both of which created problems. In addition I got into a hassle with McAfee over renewal payments taken out of my credit card. I couldn't get a hold of anyone at McAfee and my credit card carrier had to resolve the issue.

#90310 - 10/02/07 09:32 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott....I can't emphasize strongly enough what "jwyvern" said here about Norton residue in your files and Registry. It has to be cleaned out......completely cleaned out.

I'm in the middle of this hassle right now. I had a computer problem and after trying everything to correct it, I went and tried to delete Norton. It "half-deleted." I couldn't get it out and I can't do a re-install. It's a mess.

I did a lot of research on what to do with this. Everyone told me..."DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE WHILE YOU HAVE TRACES OF NORTON ." And, yes, you must use that Norton Removal Tool.

I'm not sure just what your problem is but if it were me, from what I know now, I would definitely clean Norton completely out and THEN (as one of the member said here) take your time, but make sure you're "protected" while you're taking your time.

I'm NOT going to re-install Norton. I bought a Kaspersky package for when I'm ready.

Another thing. Just because folks have "security packages" that they "have no problems with," it doesn't mean they are effective! It just means their programs sit there nicely on the hard drive and don't bother anyone. I want to know how effective something is!!!

I just read the PCWorld tests. They rated Spybot and Ad-Aware very low so don't count on them to catch the little demons.

Again, I'm not sure if you fixed it by now, but keep in mind what I wrote here anyway.

Mark

#90311 - 10/02/07 09:54 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Scott

We also use the free AVG and it works great. We have had absolutely no problem. We had in the past used some of the big names mentioned here and had problems. I was a bit concerned in the beginning wondering how something as important as this could be handled by a free progam, but we have had not one virus since using AVG. I can't say that about the other "name" brands we used in the past.

#90312 - 10/02/07 10:41 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Rome:
Scotty....I also use AVG Free version it runs everyday...
SPYBOT Free version....run once a week...
AD-AWARE Free Version....run once a week
and no problems....with Norton I always had problems, PC-cillin always had problems....
with McAfee....always had problems....

I could have written exact the same...

Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#90313 - 10/03/07 12:16 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
abacus Offline

Hi Scott
Here are some reviews of software and hardware security from PC Pro magazine; you may find it an eye opener.

Bill

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/archiveproductsearch/32/Security

#90314 - 10/03/07 12:52 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Scott,
1) use one link offered above or/and search on google how to COMPLETELY CLEAN UP Norton antivirus and related software. I had some problems myself, after cleaning it worked so much faster it was like I had a new computer.

2) As a matter of fact, I DON'T have any antivirus software running in my home PC. I only have the XP firewall, installed in the recent months. I had ONLY ONE virus attack in many years, say more than 5. And i have peer to peer programs running, and I browse the internet and download whatever I see. Though I don't recommend it to anyone that does "work" on their PC's, it has served me well.

#90315 - 10/03/07 01:16 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
abacus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
Scott,
1) use one link offered above or/and search on google how to COMPLETELY CLEAN UP Norton antivirus and related software. I had some problems myself, after cleaning it worked so much faster it was like I had a new computer.

2) As a matter of fact, I DON'T have any antivirus software running in my home PC. I only have the XP firewall, installed in the recent months. I had ONLY ONE virus attack in many years, say more than 5. And i have peer to peer programs running, and I browse the internet and download whatever I see. Though I don't recommend it to anyone that does "work" on their PC's, it has served me well.

You may not think you have a virus, but not all show up as causing damage to your computer, they may just be working in the background gathering information about you, your use, (Passwords, sites visited etc) and then sending it out to the perpetrator.
Without anti virus software you would not know anything about it.
Golden Rule, NEVER connect to the internet without at least a Firewall and Anti Virus protection.

Bill

#90316 - 10/03/07 08:32 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
You may not think you have a virus, but not all show up as causing damage to your computer, they may just be working in the background gathering information about you, your use, (Passwords, sites visited etc) and then sending it out to the perpetrator.
Without anti virus software you would not know anything about it.
Golden Rule, NEVER connect to the internet without at least a Firewall and Anti Virus protection.

Bill

BILL....I agree with your assessment and your advise 100%, never connect to the Internet with out ANTI VIRUS and FIREWALL
protection.....
TR

#90317 - 10/03/07 09:06 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
trident Offline

Bill and Tony,

though I may agree in principle, the only thing I need passwords about is Synthzone, one Greek free email I use for subscribing to whatever comes to mind, and Google mail.

OK, get in there and get my Greek mails, used primarily to transfer small files form work. by files I mean jokes and such.

#90318 - 10/03/07 11:17 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Trident, the problem with viruses is that one infection is one too many.

You may not conciously visit any "dodgy" areas of the internet, but if one of your "safe" sites gets hijacked you won't know until you've been hit.

Also you can get still get viruses embedded in e-mails. Can you be sure that none of your e-mail contacts will ever become infected and send you an infected message?

Without a virus scanner you probably won't know until it is too late. I would strongly advise that you use something "just in case". The performance hit of AVG is so low you will hardly notice.

#90319 - 10/03/07 01:43 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
trident Offline

I know, please understand, i am not a moron, most of the emails I get at home are coming from myself from work, we are talking txt files, not even .doc files, I don't even have Office installed on my home PC. In my work they of course HAVE an antivirus, firewall , the lot .....hell, it is a software company!!

I have donloaded and run adware programs at home from time to time, but apart from the usual GAIN-related things that come embedded with DIVX codecs, there is nothing else.

As I mentioned, I may visit Synthzone, fark.com, an online text game site called trukz.com, maybe wikipedia or youtube and that is it.

Some other sites i use are primarily news sites, or URL referrals from FARK, which in turn are usually well knows sites.

That pretty much covers my internet usage.
I may install the free AVG thing just for the sake of it.

#90320 - 10/04/07 11:51 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scottyee Offline

Update:

After several failed attempts at reinstalling Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite, even after following Zone Alarms so called complete removal steps, of which kept crashing my PC and causing me to have to perform a system restore to get my PC to boot properly again. After this experience, I've completely had it Zone Alarm (like I did with Norton previously) now.

I've gone ahead and taken the recommendations of others here and installed the FREE editions of: AVG AntiVirus , LavaSoft Adaware, and Spy Bot Search & Destroy, and enabled the Windows XP's built-in Firewall. Man, I already see a huge increase in my PC speed performance after having just switched from Norton/Zone Alarm to the above programs. Assuming I've still got more than adequate virus/spyware protection I'm glad I made this move, and have saved quite a bit of $$$ to boot, as the cost of those supposed pro version security suites are quite sustantial. It seems what you pay for in the pro versions of the same programs are feature enhancements, not the actual security level protection itself.

I also, thanks to MacAllcock's referal, plan to install the FREE version of Comodo firewall as well, as it looks to be more robust than the Windows built in firewall, and has garnered a lot of great website/mag reviews too. Is anyone here using/or used Comodo Firewall? Feedback? I also remember reading somewhere that the built in Windows firewall must be disabled when a 3rd party firewall software is utilized. Is this correct?

Thanks again to all that responded. Your continued feedback and recommendations remain very helpful.

Scott

#90321 - 10/04/07 02:03 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Scott,

I use free avast virus protector, low resource, non-intrusive http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

and free Ad-Aware. Scan once a week http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php?PHPSESSID=c00f9437431c506d28a93f6a620de11a

and use the built in Windows XP firewall.

No problems

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#90322 - 10/04/07 02:16 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Larry. Yeah, though I decided to try & so far very happy with AVG for now, I've read a lot of good things about Avast as well. That said, I just installed the free version of Comodo Firewall Pro and it's really working great. The reason I've now switched from the built-in WindowsXP Firewall to Comodo is because Comodo includes BOTH incoming AND outgoing firewall protection, whereas the built in Windows XP firewall software only supports incoming protection: Feature comparison between Comodo Firewa...wall protection

- Scott

#90323 - 10/04/07 07:29 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Scott,
we are unable to get reservations in Pismo Beach so won't make your concert gig on the 14th. It looks like the word is out and you have filled up the entire town and all it's RV parks.
So....we will go directly to Lancaster from Home. Maybe next time.
I sent you an email but I see from this thread your computer is having problems so decided to post it here too.
Best to ya,
Bebop

#90324 - 10/05/07 09:07 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
Scott, we are unable to get reservations in Pismo Beach so won't make your concert gig on the 14th. It looks like the word is out and you have filled up the entire town

Right, ticket sales are already nearly sold out for my annual concert there so the hall's gonna be packed. Bebop, sorry you can't make it this year. In the meantime, perhaps I can stop in & visit you & Jann in San Jose sometime, and have an opportunity to checkout your Roland E80 as well.

Back to the topic of:

Internet Security Programs:

Having now installed the FREE versions of AVG Anti Virus and Ad-Aware, I've now discovered both of them only support manually initiated computer file scans, and don't support setting up 'automatic scans' at scheduled intervals times/dates.

Though AVG's 'virus definitions' can be scheduled to be checked during a specified time ONCE a day, automatic 24 hours a day LIVE updating isn't supported, at least with the free edition of the program.

Realizing these FREE program version limitations, curious how others here who are using the free editions of: AVG anti-virus, Ad-Adaware, and Spybot work with the above limitations. Do you guys set up some kind of reminder to yourself to make usre you 'manually scan' your computer for virus's & spyware (once/twice a week?), and do you have to remember to turn on your PC during a specified time everyday to ensure the latest AVG virus defintions are automatically checked & updated?

Assuming the PRO versions of these programs provide 24 hour automatic live updating and automatically scheduled scan features, wondering if any of you have any interest in upgrading to the paid version of these programs. Thanks again for feedback.

Scott

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online