SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#90302 - 10/02/07 02:51 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I used to use Norton protection products until it became clear that they were making my computer run at half speed.

To regain performance I un-installed Norton and used the MacAffee "Internet Security", which was better apart from the fact that the anti-spam part of the product completely locked my machine for 10 minutes when e-mail came in, and then had quite a high false-alarm rate so I ended up checking e-mails by hand anyway.

So when the 12 month renewal premium cam in (and would cost me more than buying it new again at the local PC store) that went too.

Now I use the free version AVG Anti-virus from GriSoft and it hasn't let me down yet.

Spam is filtered using rules in Outlook; crude but effective. I'm thinking of changing Broadband provider so that will force a change of e-mail address which hopefully will stop a lot of **** for a while!

You may still feel the need for a Firewall. If your PC hooks up to the internet via a broadband router of some decription then you are already protected by a hardware firewall and so it can be argued that you don't need a software firewall at all. I'm not sure I'm totally happy with that argument, although at present I'm just using the standard "Windows XP SP2" firewall and it hasn't registered any naughty access attempts in 9 months so maybe the conjecture is correct!

Nevertheless "Comodo Personal Firewall" has been mentioned in a few GB PC Magazines as a pretty good system, and recommended to me at times, and it is also free. http://www.comodo.com/

#90303 - 10/02/07 02:55 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I use AVG free...never any problems...

Ian

#90304 - 10/02/07 02:57 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Scott
You can re-install Zone, but make sure you have no other programs running, and manually set up a restore point. (Also create a restore point before you manually update any software)
No Security suite is perfect but the top names, Norton, Fsecure, Zone, AVG, even MacAfee are all pretty good, so just go for the one that you can get the best deal on.
Make sure you un-install any other security software before installing another one.
Hope this helps

Bill

#90305 - 10/02/07 03:41 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've used AVG on all computers for several years. It's great. I also use Zonealarm with no problems.
DonM

#90306 - 10/02/07 04:07 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Scott

My protection
1-AVG free version (for years and years)
2-Ad aware SE from Lavasoft
3-Microsoft XP firewall

My AVG is scheduled to update every day at 09.00am .

Chico

#90307 - 10/02/07 06:06 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
A little off topic but I use a disk image program it creates an image of your hard drive. you can restore it anytime you like, it does a complete restore erases and overwrites the drive back to the date you saved the last image.
It is almost automatic tell it to do an image and walk away in an hour it's done.
You'll never have to reinstall windows or any programs.
I use it before I change anything on my computer that way if it doesn't work tell it reinstall and walk away in an hour it's like it never happened. It even works if you have to swap out a new hard drive in case yours fails.
It will also boot from a cd to restore your computer.
Best 75 dollars I ever spent. I save to a usb drive,, I have a back up of the computer when it was new and further down the line as I installed programs and they were working right I made other images.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 10-02-2007).]

#90308 - 10/02/07 06:28 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Scotty....I also use AVG Free version it runs everyday...
SPYBOT Free version....run once a week...
AD-AWARE Free Version....run once a week
and no problems....with Norton I always had problems, PC-cillin always had problems....
with McAfee....always had problems....
Hope you fix the problem, good luck
TR

#90309 - 10/02/07 09:11 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Yup..Tony,
Your protection is identical to mine. Love that AVG Grisoft.

Prior, I bought and tried to use Norton, and later McAfee...both of which created problems. In addition I got into a hassle with McAfee over renewal payments taken out of my credit card. I couldn't get a hold of anyone at McAfee and my credit card carrier had to resolve the issue.

#90310 - 10/02/07 09:32 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott....I can't emphasize strongly enough what "jwyvern" said here about Norton residue in your files and Registry. It has to be cleaned out......completely cleaned out.

I'm in the middle of this hassle right now. I had a computer problem and after trying everything to correct it, I went and tried to delete Norton. It "half-deleted." I couldn't get it out and I can't do a re-install. It's a mess.

I did a lot of research on what to do with this. Everyone told me..."DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE WHILE YOU HAVE TRACES OF NORTON ." And, yes, you must use that Norton Removal Tool.

I'm not sure just what your problem is but if it were me, from what I know now, I would definitely clean Norton completely out and THEN (as one of the member said here) take your time, but make sure you're "protected" while you're taking your time.

I'm NOT going to re-install Norton. I bought a Kaspersky package for when I'm ready.

Another thing. Just because folks have "security packages" that they "have no problems with," it doesn't mean they are effective! It just means their programs sit there nicely on the hard drive and don't bother anyone. I want to know how effective something is!!!

I just read the PCWorld tests. They rated Spybot and Ad-Aware very low so don't count on them to catch the little demons.

Again, I'm not sure if you fixed it by now, but keep in mind what I wrote here anyway.

Mark

#90311 - 10/02/07 09:54 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Scott

We also use the free AVG and it works great. We have had absolutely no problem. We had in the past used some of the big names mentioned here and had problems. I was a bit concerned in the beginning wondering how something as important as this could be handled by a free progam, but we have had not one virus since using AVG. I can't say that about the other "name" brands we used in the past.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online