SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#90292 - 10/02/07 09:23 AM Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hello all,

After removing Norton Systemworks a year ago because it really slowed down my PC, I replaced it with Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 2007 (version 7.0.337.000). Starting yesterday (following latest Virus Def update) Zone Alarm is acting up and now, every time I run a virus scan, sometime right in the middle of the scan, I get the following/similar error message :

---------------------------------------------

The instruction at "0x7c901010' referenced memory at "0x0179bc9c". The memory could not be read.
click on ok to terminate the program

The instruction at "0x7c9010f3' referenced memory at "0x0179bc90". The memory could not be written.

click on ok to terminate the program

---------------------------------------------

This is happening on both of my two PCs in which (multi-user (3) version) Zone Alarm is installed.

On one of my PC's, I attempted to de-install Zone Alarm (via add/remove programs) and then reinstalled it, only to discover on reboot that my PC would now no longer boot into Windows. I then had to boot into SAFE MODE. I went into add/remove programs and didn't see Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite listed. I then checked the C:\Program Files\Zone Labs folder but noticed 'not just one', but 2 Zone Labs folders now: Zone Labs and Zone Labs (2), so suspect when attempting to reinstall, the (partially aborted?) install created the 2nd Zone Labs folder. Being now that I want to delete 'all traces' of Zone Alarm Security Suite files from my PC before reinstalling (or perhaps purchasing something completely different now after this fiasco), I dragged both Zone Labs folders to the trash and emptied it.

Ok, now I NO protection (either virus or firewall) on this PC, so have come here for help in deciding what to do.

Should I ditch Zone Alarm Internet Security completely and purchase another Firewall/Virus Security instead, or simply re-install Zone Alarm? If you recommend re-installing Zone Alarm again, what do I need to do to COMPLETELY REMOVE all traces of Zone Alarm from my PC first.

If you recommend another internet security suite program, WHICH ONE do you recommend? Is Norton Internet Security Suite 2008 better than earlier versions of Norton?

Thanks for all help and assistance.

Scott

#90293 - 10/02/07 09:38 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Dnj Offline

Avg ...its FREE
http://free.grisoft.com/

#90294 - 10/02/07 09:58 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Scott

May be you still have some traces of Norton and Zone alarm.
Step 1:You must clean all traces in windows/program files.
Step 2:You must run your defrag tool.
As said by Donny, install AVG (free software)and adios problems.

Chico

#90295 - 10/02/07 10:21 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Scott,

whenever I get an error message I put it into the google search engine and voila: you are directed to several computer geek forums with lots of answers.
Worked so far for me everytime.
I fixed a lot of problems this way not knowing anything about computers. Just printed out the answers and followed each step carefully.

Good luck

Eric

#90296 - 10/02/07 10:38 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
jwyvern Offline

Scott,
Removing Norton products is difficult (bit like removing ticks from your dog, they usually leave their teeth behind LOL!)

If you didn't use it already there's an official Norton Removal tool here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

I,ve been using the free avg for antivirus for about 6 months and it seems to be OK. Others I know who have been using it a lot longer seem very happy with it. I find it only slows the PC if you let it do a full system scan at the same time as you're actually using the PC.
I don't have experience with its use as a firewall - since I'm happy with Zone Alarm!

If you use Win XP you should be able to turn on Windows firewall - it'll protect you incoming, although I don't believe it alerts you to any programs trying to send stuff out from your PC, as ZA would for instance.

John

#90297 - 10/02/07 10:45 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Scott
The error messages you are getting normally relate to a conflict with another program.
Never remove folders from the Program files folder, only use the Add/Remove programs, or its own uninstaller.
As well as typing the error massage into Google (Always a good first step) check on the Microsoft Support site and the Zone Alarm support site.
The best move is to restore your computer to a time before the problem occurred. (If it occurred with more then one computer, then there is most likely a problem with the downloaded files) Check the web site to see if any problems have been identified, if not you can try again (Just make sure you disable any program that is not required to run the OS)
Hope this helps

Bill

#90298 - 10/02/07 10:58 AM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scottyee Offline

First of thanks to EVERYONE for your thoughtful replies. Thanks for the google suggestions. I did that, as well as posted on Za's support forum site, but never got a response back, but after reading the many varying answers on the various forums, became further frustrated & confused.

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Scott
The error messages you are getting normally relate to a conflict with another program.
Never remove folders from the Program files folder, only use the Add/Remove programs, or its own uninstaller.

The best move is to restore your computer to a time before the problem occurred. (If it occurred with more then one computer, then there is most likely a problem with the downloaded files)

Oops, Forgot to mention ABOVE that I indeed did perform a SYSTEM RESTORE to before the problem began, and of which now allows me to boot up in Windows XP properly again. Problem is now that even the though the Zone Alarm registry files may have been restored back to before the problem began, Za alarm no longer starts up or shows up in the system tray, and when I go into C:\Programs Files, I still see TWO (2) Zone Labs Folders with files within, yet Zone Alarm is not listed in "add/remove prgrams" anymore. That is the reason I had to manually deleted the TWO folders.

Ok, this all said, you think it's SAFE to attempt re-installing Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite at THIS point? Thanks.

Scott

#90299 - 10/02/07 12:07 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Scott...
For pure virus protection..don't overlook Donny's suggestion. http://free.grisoft.com/
Eddie

#90300 - 10/02/07 02:34 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

Za alarm no longer starts up or shows up in the system tray, and when I go into C:\Programs Files, I still see TWO (2) Zone Labs Folders with files within, yet Zone Alarm is not listed in "add/remove prgrams" anymore. That is the reason I had to manually deleted the TWO folders.

Ok, this all said, you think it's SAFE to attempt re-installing Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite at THIS point? Thanks.

Scott

Personally Scott, I probably would try reinstalling eventually, but would buy myself a little more thinking/research time say by switching on Windows firewall rather than jumping in straight away.
If you look in the ZoneAlarm Program Folder you may find a zauninst.exe file if that's not one of those already deleted!!! Clicking on those (one in each folder?) may uninstall the files for you since you can't find ZAlarm in Add/Remove Programs.
The cleaner you can get it before reinstalling, the better it might be.

John

#90301 - 10/02/07 02:39 PM Re: Please HELP: Experiencing Internet Security Suite Problems Again !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Avg ...its FREE
http://free.grisoft.com/

Hi Donny. Yep, I've heard good things about AVG, and the fact that it's free makes it all the more interesting. Curious if the free version offers 'as much' protection as the ones you have to pay for, such as Karparsky anit-virus (included in Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite) & Norton Anti-virus. Anyone know?

That said, and the fact that want a COMPLETE all in one internet protection software package (with spyware, ad blocking, and firewall protection as well), wondering what you guys think of the $59.95 paid version: AVG Internet Security package. How does this AVG Secuirity Suite compare to the competition? Is it worth the expense? Also, if you use the free version of AVG, what do you recommend for spyware & ad blocking protection? Thanks. - Scott

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online