SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#90283 - 07/11/07 11:53 AM Update G70 damages and UPS
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Apparently, in shipping a used G70 to me UPS literally dropped the ball on this one. In this case the ball unfortunately was my G70. Within a day of getting it I noticed the top portion of the LCD was missing close to a quarter of an inch of it's display. Also the end panels were loose.

I filed a claim with UPS. A few days later they requested I bring the G70 to a UPS facility for inspection. I refused, since it was their fault and they should come to my home to examine the damage. They settled for photos that showed the damaged box and the packing materials. Actually there were no packing materials like bubble wrap or any other type of cushioning material, just the G70 in a Gator case, which by the way was not packed by the seller but by a UPS store.

The good news is since it was packed by UPS they are agreeing that they are at fault and will settle the claim. This morning I spoke to the authorized Roland service center. The tech there tells me the LCD needs replacing,( Roland has it in stock so the wait for the new screen won't be 5 weeks as he indicated if it was not in stock). He also found loose screws inside the case that came from the end panels. The end panels were also damaged and were not in stock at Roland for reorder, so he fastened them so that they stay in place. BTW the right side panel was off center enough so that it caused the highest key on the board to stick. What a XXXXX mess! UPS did a number on this one. The package was insured, I'm waiting for the Roland repair shop to fax me a written quote. But the cost is probably going to easily exceed $600.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 07-11-2007).]

#90284 - 07/11/07 12:53 PM Re: Update G70 damages and UPS
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Steve,
As you know UPS has approved the claim for HankB. He sent them photos of the keyboard before it was shipped, and a copy of the receipt where he bought it from George Kaye.
There are lessons here:
1. Buy insurance
2. Keep documentation
3. Don't use UPS

Actually, I'm surprised they settled so easily, but I suppose they had no choice. Even the UPS employees who packed it verified it was in perfect shape when it left Louisiana.
DonM

#90285 - 07/11/07 01:13 PM Re: Update G70 damages and UPS
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don, if you feel more confident with using Federal Express, I'll be glad to send you the funds to ship and insure the G-70. Actually, I'm thinking that shipping delicate music equipment is a crap shoot at best. My first piano from George (a Casio wk 8000) survived, but the packing material was destroyed (FedEx). The next two Roland keyboards arrived unharmed (FedEx). Last Friday, I got the Gator Case, drop shipped by George and the FC-7 pedal. Both were shipped by FedEx and the shippers were pretty much completely chewed up.

Steve has me pretty worried, with the damage to his G-70. Just let me know what you thinks we should do. Another option would be to take the unit to UPS, give them my shipper #,have
them pack it and take photos. At leaast that way, UPs might stand good for any damage.

FedEx is fine for me, if that's your preference.

R.

#90286 - 07/11/07 03:30 PM Re: Update G70 damages and UPS
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ, why don't you drive down there and pick your baby up..

The last 12 keyboards I have shipped or received via UPS and DHL...have been shipped and received as they were...like new...
Maybe I am just lucky..Half of the keyboards I shipped were in good cases..and I add bubble wrap inside too...

For some reason I have not heard from my G1000 buyer, and he hasn't posted feedback on Ebay..That's another thing that bugs me..Half my Ebay people never give me feedback...Doesn't really matter though..I have enough deals and still 100% positive feedback..

#90287 - 07/11/07 03:58 PM Re: Update G70 damages and UPS
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Steve,
As you know UPS has approved the claim for HankB. He sent them photos of the keyboard before it was shipped, and a copy of the receipt where he bought it from George Kaye.
There are lessons here:
1. Buy insurance
2. Keep documentation
3. Don't use UPS

Actually, I'm surprised they settled so easily, but I suppose they had no choice. Even the UPS employees who packed it verified it was in perfect shape when it left Louisiana.
DonM

Thanks Don. Hank did let me know that UPS approved the claim. I thought they'd fight the claim, but I think the bottom line was the photos they request from me of the box showed signs of being banged around. Add that to no bubble wrap and I think they realized it was there fault not anyone else's.

#90288 - 07/11/07 09:57 PM Re: Update G70 damages and UPS
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Don, if you feel more confident with using Federal Express, I'll be glad to send you the funds to ship and insure the G-70. Actually, I'm thinking that shipping delicate music equipment is a crap shoot at best. My first piano from George (a Casio wk 8000) survived, but the packing material was destroyed (FedEx). The next two Roland keyboards arrived unharmed (FedEx). Last Friday, I got the Gator Case, drop shipped by George and the FC-7 pedal. Both were shipped by FedEx and the shippers were pretty much completely chewed up.

Steve has me pretty worried, with the damage to his G-70. Just let me know what you thinks we should do. Another option would be to take the unit to UPS, give them my shipper #,have
them pack it and take photos. At leaast that way, UPs might stand good for any damage.

FedEx is fine for me, if that's your preference.

R.

Russ,
I think I'll go ahead with UPS. I'll make sure to take photos and get it insured. I'll put it back in the original packing, and then let them package it also.
I didn't get to it today, but that's another story!
DonM

#90289 - 07/12/07 05:49 AM Re: Update G70 damages and UPS
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
#1.If you have a damaged package by UPS, do not use Fed Ex to send that package back to the owner or buyer... That will eliminate any claim against UPS.
#2. If your shipping with UPS from East Coast to West Coast, insist on 3 day select .. That way the product will ship via Air, not ground... This will help with handling...

#90290 - 07/17/07 08:15 PM Re: Update G70 damages and UPS
Dnj Offline

Steve whats the latest on your G70 repair?

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a job you Love, and you will Never have to Work a day in your life! ”

#90291 - 07/18/07 01:28 AM Re: Update G70 damages and UPS
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Steve whats the latest on your G70 repair?

The repair shop tells me the screen is due in Thursday. Once it's there he'll install and have ready for pick up this Friday. If delivery is delayed I'll be waiting another week because the shop is closed for vacation starting 5 PM Friday.............

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online