SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89874 - 10/04/05 06:20 AM Tyros2 Cool New Feature #3
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Wow, you can use a wireless ethernet controller with the Tyros2 to connect to the Internet.

See Page 206 of the User Guide

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#89875 - 10/04/05 08:38 AM Re: Tyros2 Cool New Feature #3
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hmmm. does this include bluetooth?

#89876 - 10/04/05 06:10 PM Re: Tyros2 Cool New Feature #3
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hooray!!! This is the best! No more USB cables! i can send MIDI files directly from my computer over my wireless LAN to my Tyros2. The same with style files. It is about time. Just for the record, the new Yamaha CVP pianos can do this, too.

Tom G.

#89877 - 10/04/05 09:54 PM Re: Tyros2 Cool New Feature #3
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Are you sure this allows wireless connections to your PC? I thought the only thing the Yamaha keyboards can access was the Yamaha site selling sounds and styles.

In other words, this wireless connection helps Yamaha separate you from your money.

#89878 - 10/04/05 11:58 PM Re: Tyros2 Cool New Feature #3
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:

In other words, this wireless connection helps Yamaha separate you from your money.

Alex, you have such an evil way of putting things...

#89879 - 10/05/05 04:45 AM Re: Tyros2 Cool New Feature #3
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Well, look at page 206 in the manual and right there in living black and white are your WEP, IP, and MASK settings for your router setup. I would say that's a wireless ethernet connection configuration screen.

Now the question is, can the board manage a connection to your PC or connect to a file explorer in addition to the built in browser. Only time will tell; i.e hands on proof.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#89880 - 10/05/05 08:37 PM Re: Tyros2 Cool New Feature #3
TomTomSF Offline

I follow the CVP User Group and recall discussions there about setting up the new CVP models with your wireless network. I am pretty sure they talked about sending MIDI files wirelessly to a USB drive plugged into the CVP. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Tom G.

#89881 - 10/06/05 12:03 AM Re: Tyros2 Cool New Feature #3
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Theoretically, if you insert a bluetooth USB device into the keyboard, and another into your computer, you should have no problem with wireless access. However be aware that bluetooth is quite slow. It might work for MIDI, but would not be recommended for any large data transfers...

#89882 - 10/06/05 07:42 AM Re: Tyros2 Cool New Feature #3
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Folks, whether wireless connection is possible or not is not the issue I was bringing up. The wireless connection may indeed have been possible, but what the T2 will do having made this connection is another story.

When you connect to Internet, you either use a cable (or phone) connection, or a wireless setup. Once you are connected, though, you have to be able to get to the website (specify the URL) and then access the contents at the site. Even if you do specify the site location, you need a way to access contents. I am sure that the Yamaha's website is built to allow navigation and operation using the limited browsing functions included in the Tyros OS,(I am also sure that it does not have a full browser feature built in). Even if all you wanted to do was to connect to your PC and access a shared folder, I don't think that Tyros OS allows you to do this.

In other words, you may be all hooked up, but nowhere to go (except Yamaha's website, specifically designed to sell you Tyros stuff).

I am also pretty sure that before you can log in to Yamaha site with your T2, you need to first connect with your computer and provide them with your credit card # (no send me the bill later option here).

As I don't envision myself spontaneously purchasing stuff from anyone (even if I did have a T2), this feature is of little use to me. If you, on the other hand, hear a style that appeals to you, and immediately want to plunk you money down to buy it, then this is something to get excited about.

Out of curiosity - Internet connection is supposedly available now in PSR 3000. Are there any 3000 users who have made use of this feature?

Regards,
Alex

#89883 - 10/06/05 05:48 PM Re: Tyros2 Cool New Feature #3
TomTomSF Offline

I could care less about browsing the internet on my Tyros2. Why would I want to do that when I have several nice computers available with much larger screens and faster performance, etc? The one and only thing I might use the Tyros IDC (Internet Direct Connection) for would be if it is absolutely required to download new voices, etc. But, I believe that will not be the case. According to CVP owners, you won't get much use out of the IDC unless you are a beginner and users can still download items on their computer and transfer the files to the Yamaha over their home network. I will be glad to be rid of the wires and just transfer files (MIDI, WAV and styles) wirelessly. I don't think that MIDI will work wirelessly until the new USB wireless standards are perfected. That is in the works now.

Tom G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online