SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#89805 - 09/15/01 03:31 AM Spontaneous looping of arrangements
Zamar333 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can anyone advise me about how the different top-end arranger keyboards handle this situation?: While performing live, I want to create a spontaneous chord progression, loop it, then add a full-range piano over top (or maybe some other solo instruments, such as jazz guitar in right hand, piano comping in left), while the arranger keeps playing. Then once this is all happening, I need to be able to walk out from behind the keyboard while it continues playing on its own, Then stand in front of the audience and perform a live instrument solo over top (or sometimes I need to talk to the audience while the keyboard keeps playing quietly behind me). Also the ability to change arrangement variations during this time is a big plus. After I jam, or talk, then I need to be able to go back behind the keyboard, resume playing live, shut off the arranger chords so I can modify the progression, all on the fly. This needs to be done seamlessly, as though a live band were playing and jamming spontaneously the whole time. I do one-man jazz & praise and worship concerts, and used to use a Roland E-86 that allowed me to do most of this. Now I just bought an SD1 which I will probably keep, if it suits my needs.

Is it possible to do all this on the SD1? What about the other arranger keyboards? How do they handle this? What about vocalization harmony? Can it be looped also? I'm hoping that now, with the vocalization technology, I can be even more effective in a live worship setting. If any members have some experience with this type of application, "jamming with yourself" while playing live out front while your keyboard backs you up, I'd like to hear about it. Also, can two sets of footswitches be hooked up, so I can operate fills and variations from out front, or from the keyboard, as needed? Thanks, and God bless! ~Salamat, from Steve K in Toronto

#89806 - 09/15/01 08:27 AM Re: Spontaneous looping of arrangements
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I believe Roland is the only brand that lets you do that "instant loop" chord seqience. I use to have some fun with that as well, but nothing else has done it since I quit playing Roland arrangers. It wasn't a big enough issue for me to give up, but if you really need it - I doubt that you will get it from Ketron. That's definatly a Roland item.

#89807 - 09/15/01 11:19 PM Re: Spontaneous looping of arrangements
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
UD
Do all Rolands do that? I have am EM2000 - do you think it has this feature? What is it called? Not that I have any particular need for this - I'm just curious if it's a feature common to all Roland keyboards.
Tom

#89808 - 09/15/01 11:27 PM Re: Spontaneous looping of arrangements
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tom - yes, the EM200 has it. It's really a cool tool. I use to use it alot when I was playing Roland gear. I believe it's in the upper left hand corner, next to the screen on your keyboard. Think it's called "chord loop"....or something similar.
With easy 3 or 4 chord tunes, it's very easy to record the sequence, and hit the auto loop button - that frees up your hands to do other stuff - use the mod wheels, pitch bend, whatever. I use to play "Sleepwalk" with it. I recorded the l vi lV V7 progression, then hit the loop - and I could use the pitch bender to get the guitar to sliiiiiiide the way Santo & Johnny did.Neat.

#89809 - 09/15/01 11:37 PM Re: Spontaneous looping of arrangements
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
In the VA7 it's in the sequencer menu; it's a kind of sequencer but of a simpler nature; it just records the chord sequence and not single notes. You can even save the chord progression on a minidisk and use it later to play that song; the coolest thing is that you are not bound to a specific style: the chord sequence works with every style you choose.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online