SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#89714 - 12/23/03 01:03 PM PSR2K - Power supply
MusicJohn Offline

Loc: Garner, NC, USA
Hello and Merry Christmas to all.

Last week, I did my first gig using the 2K, as a backup band to me playhing guitar and singing Christmas Carols. It turned out great, thanks to all of your help.

However, after reading about the power supply heating, I did notice that the PS was very warm.

Other than keep buying these things as emergency measures, has anyone come up with a better solution?

Musicjohn

------------------
MusicJohn

#89715 - 12/23/03 01:46 PM Re: PSR2K - Power supply
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Unfortunately, the 2K's power supply is an oddball that has a 16-volt DC output. All of the other power supplies are 12-Volt DC. You could construct a heat-sink that would help cool it down. You can do this by checking the online computer stores for cooling fans, which come in a variety of sizes. Then pick up a standard, aluminum-finned heat sink and glue it to the power-pack using a thin layer of Crazy Glue. Add the computer fan, which will have to run on another, much smaller power pack, and you'll find the power pack will run considerably cooler--even on the hottest days.

The bottom line is in this business you must have spares--even spare power supplies. While I've only had a single power supply failure in nearly 20 years, I was fortunate enough to have a back-up on hand at the time and was playing again in less then two minutes. If you don't have a back-up supply, you're playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun--not a good thing to do. Yep, they're expensive, about $70 but if and when you sell that 2K, you can always sell the power supply to the same person as well.

One thing that will help make it run cooler is to keep the keyboard's volume level down and use the PA's volume to provide increased levels. The higher the keyboard's volume, the more power you're drawing from the power supply.

Good Luck,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 12-23-2003).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#89716 - 12/23/03 01:51 PM Re: PSR2K - Power supply
Dnj Offline

Great advice Gary....
Yep...buy 2 of them asap I did....
another tip....
"Never drop a hot AC power adapter"
or you can kiss it good bye!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online