SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#89336 - 10/11/10 11:01 PM vBulletin?
Rich Z Offline

Any chance this site will convert over to a world class message board system like vBulletin? This style of message board is absolutely PAINFUL to use.

Not trying to be condescending, but this is the sort of message board style I would have used maybe 10 years ago when there was nothing better available.

So PLEASE modernize and upgrade! It might very well make a difference in participation here.

#89337 - 10/13/10 01:50 AM Re: vBulletin?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I'm just reluctant to lose an archive of over 300,000 postings made over more than 10 years. What is it you find so painful here that vBulletin provides? I have used vBulletin and it really doesn't seem to provide a lot more that really matters to me.

#89338 - 10/13/10 02:35 AM Re: vBulletin?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
When it comes to readability, this is perhaps the best forum out there. Easy on the eyes and easy to find one's way around.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#89339 - 10/13/10 03:35 AM Re: vBulletin?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
When it comes to readability, this is perhaps the best forum out there. Easy on the eyes and easy to find one's way around.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Taike

I agree...

#89340 - 10/13/10 11:07 PM Re: vBulletin?
Rich Z Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I'm just reluctant to lose an archive of over 300,000 postings made over more than 10 years. What is it you find so painful here that vBulletin provides? I have used vBulletin and it really doesn't seem to provide a lot more that really matters to me.

vBulletin has conversion routines for nearly all other message board systems, so you wouldn't lose a thing.

As for enhanced capabilities to offer your members by going to a more advanced and capable message board system:
  • Private messages that provide an internal method for members to contact each other outside of email (which has gotten progressively less reliable over time.
  • Threads are set up so that you can click on an icon and be immediately taken to the first reply within it since you last logged in.
  • Graphics can be attached and displayed by simply uploading from the member's home PC instead of having to load it onto a server somewhere and linking it via BB codes.
  • Code to embed YouTube videos is easily implemented making viewing such things immensely more enjoyable and convenient.
  • RSS feeds can be automatically imported into the site to connect with other sites, including other message boards, to display latest topics and news.
  • Any number of real time chat systems can be easily implemented so members can converse with others in REAL TIME.
  • Just the home page alone with displays of currently online members, a membership list is extremely useful.
  • Members could set up their own social groups, which are sort of like special interest forums that the members choose to have, rather than the admin.
  • There are more things that vBulletin has far surpassing the capabilities of this 10 year old bbs script.

Yeah, I understand that some folks get comfortable with even the most antiquated system, and there is always resistance to change from the more "dug-in" members. Perhaps the demographics of the people the topic matter this forum is likely to attract are ones who get easily set in their ways and you are comfortable with that as well. But stagnation is never really a good thing.

Anyway, just a suggestion. I've been running my own message boards using vBulletin for just over 8 years now, so perhaps I am just biased because I have gotten way used to the interface. Not saying that vBulletin would be the absolute answer, but ANYTHING more advanced than this 10 year old script would have to be an improvement.

Anyway, to put this in perspective, sure you guys could all still be using the synths that you had 10 years ago and be doing OK. But don't you LIKE the capabilities that the new technology brings to your fingertips? Well, message boards are the same thing. Yes, you CAN get by with the older stuff, but why would you want to when there are a lot of better options available out there?

BTW, where's the spell checker here?

Anyway, I'm done with this. Just thought I would throw my 2 cents out there. You can either pick the two pennies up off the floor or not. You probably don't know how many people DON'T sign up here because of the interface they see. It's your forum....

(btw, luckily I cut and pasted this reply before clicking the "Submit Reply" button, other wise when it apparently timed out and dropped my username and password, it also WIPED out my reply when I went back to fill in those fields. That sort of thing KILLS participation. Had I not had it saved, I would not have gone back to try again for a reply.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-15-2010).]

#89341 - 10/14/10 03:05 AM Re: vBulletin?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I will check it out. It it can import this forum then I would seriously consider it. Thanks for the info.

#89342 - 10/14/10 07:21 AM Re: vBulletin?
Rfinnshw Offline

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
First of all "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!"
to Nigel, for sponsoring this site on his nickel. $$$

My sentiments, in regards, to being frustrated with being able to participate, and use this site, as well as contribute.

Thanks again Nigel, for sponsoring this site.

Rfinnshw

#89343 - 10/15/10 11:08 PM Re: vBulletin?
Rich Z Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I will check it out. It it can import this forum then I would seriously consider it. Thanks for the info.

Here's a link that may help you -> http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?92-vBulletin-Impex-Import-System

I used their import program to convert an old Ikonboard system I had years ago, and it worked just fine.

Good luck!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online