SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89307 - 09/27/10 03:54 PM Used to have a lot to say?
analogcontrolfreak Offline

It's funny, but when I first joined this forum, back in 2003. I used to have a lot to say. However, as the years progressed, I had less and less to say, until I just stopped all together! Of course back then it was more exciting, well for me anyway. I was into synths really heavy back then, even though I never really did anything with them. The spark was there, the ambition was not.

I guess what really happened, was the fact that I never really applied myself to playing, or even creating electronic music. Plus my over zealous need to want a new synth, ever so often or my obsession with them did not help me in anyway, shape or form. So I started to write less and less, until one day I just stopped!

Oh sure, I would stop by and post something, from time to time but not too often. I also feel like I alienated a few friends on here as well. Sorry for that! Of course now I would like to rectify all of that, and a least try to post something on here on occasion.

Until next time!

Paul

#89308 - 09/28/10 04:44 AM Re: Used to have a lot to say?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Feeling a little queasy (coming off an illness) so I'll have to keep this brief. I find your post intriguing, introspective, and probably a little bit reflective of most of us. What you may be describing here is a process that most of us go through until the day we pack it in; it's called MATURING. As we mature, our perspectives change, our interests change, and although our basic mindset and value system may stay largely intact, the little actionable bits that actually determine what we do, also change. Our humanness makes us hope that those changes are for the better, that as we get 'older and wiser', we become better people.

I can certainly relate to the 'synth' experience you describe. We get so caught up in the technology and the 'potential' of the TOOL that we forget why we're there, to craft a product. You need go no further than the main ARRANGER board to See example after example of this. In my own journey, I've gone through many iterations of synths and workstations and arrangers and modules and controllers and ........... In the end, I've returned to my musical roots and now get the most enjoyment playing my cloned Hammond B3 (Nord C1/PK7a). Not a lot of bells and whistles, no mp3 player, no sequencer, no looper, no harmonizer, no patterns, no styles; not even a pitch bend lever. But what it does have is the potential for me to express myself musically with sounds and dynamics that touch my soul. This keeps me focused on the music and not the 'tool'. For others, it may be the wail of a rock/blues guitar (think Santana) or ivories 'tickled' in a special way; but in all cases, it is always the heart and soul of the music, and never about the technology.

As far as bruising a few egos along the way, 'been there, done that'. Only a handful of very exceptional people (Capt. Russ, DonM, Rikki, and a few others) have managed to avoid that pitfall . Not wanting to do that anymore is good enough for me and is pretty much where I am right now.

Gotta head out to my Doc, now, but a very interesting post which I hope I haven't taken too far off-base. I'm hoping Russ and others will respond.

chas

#89309 - 09/28/10 06:19 AM Re: Used to have a lot to say?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Hi Paul,

Always nice to hear from you. Let me take this opportunity to say "welcome back, Chas" and here's hoping that you're feeling better.

I never really had much to say on the forum. Too many posts are about technical stuff and they don't interest me at all plus no one gives a hoot what I have to say anyway. Ain't that the truth. Ha! Ha!

There are those that post post after post and seem to practically live on the forum. They either have too much time on their hands or are so bored that they can't think of doing anything else. That's rather boring to me.

I've found myself slowly withdraw from the forum. Mind you, I've never been a very active member, but I like to keep myself busy with other things besides music...or spending all day on the forum. Perhaps your friends -and yourself- have found other interests as well. You do have an interest in old grammophone players, don't you? Sometimes we have to give up something in order to gain something.

Lately I've found a renewed interest in the Chinese Classic "Spring and Autumn Period". And my language studies are an ongoing thing. I simply don't have time to feel bored.

"What you may be describing here is a process that most of us go through until the day we pack it in; it's called MATURING. As we mature, our perspectives change, our interests change, and although our basic mindset and value system may stay largely intact, the little actionable bits that actually determine what we do, also change. Our humanness makes us hope that those changes are for the better, that as we get 'older and wiser', we become better people."

So true, Chas.

Okay, all I said has nothing to do with the thread but I just felt like saying it. Ha! Hope you don't mind, Paul.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#89310 - 09/28/10 01:37 PM Re: Used to have a lot to say?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Paul,

The mere fact that you are looking at your actions and attitudes over time and evaluating the appropriateness and impact speaks volumes about you. Your posts have been thoughtful, introspective and worth both your time and the time we spend learning your ideas and beliefs. That is a whole lot more mature way to approach interpersonal contact than many.

I'm not the only one who looks forward to hearing from you.

Your friend,

Russ

#89311 - 09/28/10 04:35 PM Re: Used to have a lot to say?

WOW! Thanks for the positive feedback. It really means a lot to me. I really do appreciate it. I am so glad I have friends like you guys. Even if it's just online!

I should post like this more often. As I seem to get more responses, then to ones on just technology. Every once in awhile I do have something interesting to say. Plus your replies, help me out as well. Which at times I do need. So Thank You, Chas Taike, and Russ!

BTW: If you have not seen my YouTube channel, please stop by and check it out! http://www.youtube.com/user/Edisonfans19?feature=mhum

Also I am on Facebook as well. Just type in Paul Kondig, to find me.

BTW: I even started a thread in the Moog Discussion group. It's on the Minimoog at 40.

Thanks again!

Paul

#89312 - 09/30/10 11:54 PM Re: Used to have a lot to say?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Just the latest example of why I prefer The Bar to the regular forums, lol...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#89313 - 10/01/10 01:23 PM Re: Used to have a lot to say?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I think it also goes back to the artistic side of playing and creating original work. It takes a certain mind set to committ yourself to do something artistic.

I recorded alot in 2001 & 2002. When I try to revisit that mind set, it gets difficult.

I can see why a musician or band would go a year or two or three between albums.

The same would apply to painters or any other artistic endeavor.

It ain't easy!

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 10-01-2010).]

#89314 - 10/01/10 04:43 PM Re: Used to have a lot to say?

That is so true!

#89315 - 10/04/10 03:49 PM Re: Used to have a lot to say?
124 Offline

+10 to this thread. I certainly echo the sentiments made here so far. Thanks for venturing into this topic, Paul.

p.s. Good to see you up and running, chas.

#89316 - 10/04/10 04:02 PM Re: Used to have a lot to say?

Thank You, 124, and Your Welcome!

#89317 - 10/04/10 04:31 PM Re: Used to have a lot to say?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi Paul

I went through the same period as you. My perspective is a little different from the others however.

As I grow older, I choose to stay away from venom, unrelenting conflict, drama, and intolerance. I just can't stand it anymore. I'm not talking about common disagreements, but pure disregard for civility and gentlemen-ship. I just can't stand it and that's why I stay away from this board as it has become very commonplace here.

Some of the most lovely people that used to frequent this board no longer come around any longer. So I guess it's not just me.

Good to hear from you and stick around, this board needs nice folks like you.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#89318 - 10/04/10 04:47 PM Re: Used to have a lot to say?

Thank You Al. I really appreciate it! I think I will stick around this time. This has been my best thread ever on this board.

#89319 - 10/04/10 10:22 PM Re: Used to have a lot to say?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Al, all the good guys hang out at the Bar.

(not-so-good)Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online