SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89210 - 08/16/10 04:00 PM Great motorcycle ride.....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Yesterday afternoon, as I do often in good weather, I took a motorcycle ride. I work all night until 9:00 AM-then sleep until about 2:00
PM. I stopped for a cold drink, and while I was standing around the Shell station, my phone rang. It was my very good friend Taike calling from Taiwan. We talked for about 15 minutes, but I had to head back to town for a meeting. I'm going to try to call him at 7:00 PM-about 5 minutes from now. That will be 7:00 AM-when he wakes up. He's an all round good guy, who has had an unfortunate bunch of bureaucratic screw-ups, which have resulted in his dear wife, Nok and his great little son have to go back to Laos. He won't see them until Chinese new year, in late January.

I'll let you know what happens after I talk to him again.

Russ

#89211 - 08/16/10 04:35 PM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
captain Russ Offline

Just reached Taike. Suffice it top say he is a person of real substance. He will be sending me details of the progress of a monk we are helping thru college and/or law school.

I'm so very proud to have him and his great little family in my life!

Russ

#89212 - 08/16/10 10:22 PM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
It's always good to hear from you, Russ.

We managed to cover quite a few topics in the short time we talked, didnt' we: bureaucracy, education, business, family, friends, etc. A very interesting chat indeed.

We gotta do it more often.

Greetings from Nok and Mapanoy. Nok often asks about you. Mapanoy "Da Dude" says he wants a "real" airplane. LOL

Taike

ps: Actually I set my alarm at 6:30 but often get up at 5:00 or even earlier. I dislike staying in bed once I'm awake.

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#89213 - 08/17/10 08:36 AM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I don't mean to hijack your thread Russ but I wanted to show you my new baby. Haven't ridden in about 15 years used to have a few Honda Goldwings. At 60 I decided to go for it.

Harley Heritage softail classic.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 08-17-2010).]

#89214 - 08/17/10 08:57 AM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
captain Russ Offline

Mike, that's one great ride! I like to ride curvy country roads thru some hills near my house. For that, I ride a little 650 cc Suzuki Savage. It weighs 352 lbs, is a "one banger"{ and "eats up" the curves). Not good on the interstate, though-shakes you to pieces after about an hour. I also have a Kikker hardtail kit bike, a couple of 60's restored Cushman scooters, a Kymco scooter and a 56 Harley three-wheeler I bought from the Air Force in 1962 (I was a high school senior). I rode it back from California with an upright bass tied on and restored it over the years. It starts when It's damn good and ready!

Love the toys, especially ones with an engine on them!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-17-2010).]

#89215 - 08/21/10 12:45 PM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, stop me!!! I just went out to look at, and ended up purchasing, a Kymco Xciting 500. At the moment, I have less than 100 miles on the Lance Duke 250 that I bought a couple of weeks ago. The guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It doesn't have a great rep for performance, but it does for comfort and reliability (which is more important to me right now). I'll probably put the Lance up on Craigslist and try to break even.......or just keep it around for fun rides around the neighborhood.

chas

PS: Nice bike, Mike. I'm getting out of the Motorcycle business (still have 4); too old plus a hip replacement. Looks like it's going to be scooters only in my future. Sniff, sniff. I started out with an old Harley 74 when I was @ 16.

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 08-21-2010).]

#89216 - 08/21/10 01:42 PM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
captain Russ Offline

Now, Chas, why would ANY SANE PERSON BUY A PIECE OF JUNK LIKE A KYMCO (LOL)?

Just kidding, of course! I've had my little 150 since 2002, with absolutely no service issues, except a battery every three years. Only have 4250 kilometers on it, but it's only used from the office to lunch, a downtown appointment, etc. I have a windshield and a luggage box. While it will hold 60 MPH fairly easily, it's going flat-out and not good for interstates. I've been on that monster you have, and it will easily cruise at 70mph on interstates all day. I'd ride non-stop to Atlanta today on it. In fact, when (and it may be soon) it's uncomfortable for me to ride my Savage (the clutch gives my left hand fits after a while), that would be the very one I'd get.

Must be mental epilepsy....great minds thinking alike, and all that.

Now, all you have to do is figure out where to tie that Nord on...!

Enjoy...see you soon!

Russ

#89217 - 08/21/10 08:20 PM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
You can't go wrong with a Kymco. Chas, you described it perfectly well.

Another good brand is SYM.
http://www.sym-usa.com/

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#89218 - 08/22/10 09:54 AM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Shoulda known you guys would be scooter trash, too.

-89 FXRP, well massaged and EFI'd here.

Over the years, I've been known to ride anything and everything, though. Not brand-specific at all. Have owned and ridden plenty of Kaw's and Hondas into the ground here, mostly inline fours.

"A twist of the wrist..."

Stay safe,

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#89219 - 09/07/10 04:15 PM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
cgiles Offline

Russ, sorry I missed your call the other day. Believe it or not, I was out riding with my son, he on the Triumph and me on the Shadow. Might be my last ride on the Honda as it's up for sale along with the Lance Duke 250. I'll be doing most of my riding on the Xciting 500 from now on (or until I get the new 700ri or a Burgman 650 Exec). I just ordered the taller Givi windscreen for it to hold down the wind buffeting and maybe extend my riding season an extra month. How'd you like the x500? Enough power, you think, for the freeway? Mine seems to roll along pretty comfortably at 70-75 with a little bit of reserve. I ride pretty conservatively now, anyhow.

Going up to Philly to visit a sick friend. He just had a second stroke in as many weeks. Doesn't look too good. I'm afraid we've reached an age where this kind of stuff starts happening to our friends and peers (and to US). Talk to you when I get back.

chas

#89220 - 09/08/10 07:39 AM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
captain Russ Offline

Chas, I'm like you. Don't really want my main two-wheeler to be a (UGH) scooter, but am preparing for that when it happens.

My problem right now is my left hand and the clutch on a motorcycle.

Ideally, I'd like a SYM 500cc, but they don't make one. Kymco is my choice, since I've had such good luck with my 2002 Kymco 150. They're GREAT...better, I think than some of the brands known better around here.

World-wide, they're "top tier" bikes.

The only thing stopping me from getting one in January (2011 model) is there is no dealership in Lexington. My long-time friend and small motor guy was the dealer. They pulled the line-gave it to a larger bike shop, and that shop stopped handling the line recently. Nod will keep things running for me, but initial warranty issues are a possible problem.

64 1/2 year old "scooter nerd"...ain't that a bitch?

Russ (nerd boy) Lay

#89221 - 09/08/10 07:58 AM Re: Great motorcycle ride.....
cgiles Offline

Russ, stop worrying. 64 1/2 is the new......uh, 64. Of course you already know this (from riding your 150), but, 'twist and go' is pretty easy to get used to if you ride in traffic a lot. Except for the way they handle the 'twisties', I don't find a lot of difference between the scooters and the 'real' bikes. Be safe.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online