SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8853 - 08/16/09 04:32 AM Garritan vs Ivory
Recorder Offline

Hi everybody,
I'm looking for very high quality virtual grand piano; I need it for "solo" classical music performances, so I can't accept any compromise. I just ruled out many software: all modeled instruments (Pianoteq or similar), because they sound like a synth and not like a real piano.... probably it's a promising technology, but not for now. Quantum Leap is very very large (more than 200 GB, I believe!!!). So, my doubt is: Garritan Authorized Steinway or Ivory Grand Pianos?
I'm particularly interesting in Steinway sounds (as I said, only for classical music performances; so, not interesting in any pop-rock, techno or similar....), and Garritan seems the best; but I heard Ivory's demos and they sound great; and Ivory has two more pianos (Bosendorfer and Yamaha).
I think that sound is great in both, what is your opinion?
And, what about computer performances? I use Windows XP SP3, Dual Core Duo Intel processor, very fast WD hard drive, RME Firefaced 800 audio unit and KAWAI CA91 digital piano (MIDI controller). I prefer to use my virtual piano as VST plugin, not in standalone mode. What do you think could be the best choice between these two software?
Any information is very appreciated. Thank you.

#8854 - 08/16/09 06:46 AM Re: Garritan vs Ivory
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
It’s all down to personal choice, what suits one person may not suit another, just like real pianos.
Pop over to this site http://purgatorycreek.com/ and choose the Digital Piano Shootout, which will allow you to compare all the different VSTi with a Real Steinway.
As to a computer, then choose one that is at least half as good again as the minimum spec suggested by the software.
Hope this helps

Bill

#8855 - 08/16/09 02:16 PM Re: Garritan vs Ivory
Recorder Offline

Hi Bill, thank you very much for your reply.
Yes I'm agree with you that's a personal choice; as you can see I just made a heavy selection and I'm considering only two instruments.
Anyway, I'm browsing in mentioned web site..... WOW!!! Very very useful, THANK YOU!
I let you know.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online