SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87913 - 12/11/08 01:05 PM Antiques (A suggestion.., if you got a few yourself)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I just want to pass something on to members here who might happen to have an antique in the family that has been collecting dust for years.

I collect antiques and I'm sure others here do as well... However..., you'd be surprised at how people (unknowingly) destroy the value of an antique item.

I was just looking at an auction for a mint condition civil war era black powder revolver. BEAUTIFUL FIREARM! It still has a very visible engraved scene on the cylinder too. However, this knucklehead selling the firearm just DESTROYED the value of that old Colt (probably reducing its value by more than half). Looking at the pictures it was obvious the guy polished the brass, and polished the wood grips!!!!! OMG! He has no idea what he just did to the value of that firearm. Collectors look for signs of "natural aging". An old firearm that has 140+ years of petina on the grips and brass is a GOOD THING. You can lightly oil the frame, and bar..., but for the love of all that is holy.., DON'T POLISH THE BLOODY BRASS OR WOOD GRIPS!

People for some reason get the urge to CLEAN old things or refinish/stain them if it's furniture. DO NOT..., I'll say again DO NOT DO THIS. So many valuable antiques lose more than half of their value because of this.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-11-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#87914 - 12/11/08 02:39 PM Re: Antiques (A suggestion.., if you got a few yourself)
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Squeak, you're so right. A few years ago, I polished an old WW11 Rand sidearm. It's worth $700.00 now, but would be worth $1200 or more if i hadn't touched it.

I have an old 53 ES 295 gibson. Had it redone in Black 10 years ago. Had I left it untouched...well, I don't even want to talk about it

Dumb old Russ

#87915 - 12/11/08 02:47 PM Re: Antiques (A suggestion.., if you got a few yourself)
squeak_D Offline

Ohhhhh man Russ.., you refinished that guitar! Yikes!!!!!! One of the early Fender Tele's came up on the Antique's Road Show not too long ago. EVERYTHING original..., case, strap, amp, and sales slip! The bloody guitar alone was worth damn near $45,000 The little extras pushed the total value for the lot up to $50,000!
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#87916 - 12/11/08 03:20 PM Re: Antiques (A suggestion.., if you got a few yourself)

Yea, but I know better now. I 'm so old that I have guitars I bought new for a few hundred dollars that are worth more than my house is now!

Amaising, isn't it?

Problem is, I can't bring myself to sell a single one, and I have more than 300.

Russ

#87917 - 12/11/08 05:13 PM Re: Antiques (A suggestion.., if you got a few yourself)
squeak_D Offline

One of these days Russ.., I'm gonna show up with just a sleeping bag.., some candy bars, and a case of Pepsi and literally spend a weekend in your warehouse

#87918 - 12/12/08 12:40 AM Re: Antiques (A suggestion.., if you got a few yourself)
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I 'm so old that I have guitars I bought new for a few hundred dollars that are worth more than my house is now!

Yep I know how that is. In 1976 I bought a 1964 Gibson ES335. It wasn't really vintage then but it sure is now. But like you Russ there is no way I could ever sell it.

#87919 - 12/12/08 07:19 AM Re: Antiques (A suggestion.., if you got a few yourself)

Nigel, my favorite ES-355 was stolen in 1975. I replaced it with a new 1976 ES-355 (red, with a bigsby). I never could keep it in tune, so I just didn't play it. After the store I got it from got a really good repair guy, I took it to him (about 95). Others had just adjusted the rod. He discovered that there was a lifetime warranty on it, IF (big IF) i could proove I was the original owner. I had no idea where the reciept was. A neck replacement was $450.00 at the time. Carl, my long-time friend and owner of Carls Music Center, disappeared in the back. 1/2 hour later, he came back with his "out" book. He let musicians try instruments, and logged them in and out. There, in the book was a record of the day I took the 3335 and a 147RV, with an indication that it was sold to me and an invoice number. Gibson accepted the entry as proof of purchase. Turns out, the problem was a missing truss rod nut. At the time, Gibson ran hot and cold as far as QC is concerned.

Another reason why I always try to shop with people I know and trust.

STill hve the 335...it's GREAT, and valuable (not sure how much).

Russ

#87920 - 12/12/08 07:22 AM Re: Antiques (A suggestion.., if you got a few yourself)

Squeak, you'd be welcome, BIG TIME! I'd introduce you to my favorite "antique"...Annie, the lady who has put up with me for over 43 years.

(raise your right hand and take a vow of silence on that one)!

Russ (no spring chicken, either) Lay

#87921 - 12/12/08 10:37 AM Re: Antiques (A suggestion.., if you got a few yourself)
squeak_D Offline

Russ.., I've been talking to the wife about taking a trip over there... Do you realize that you and I are less than 2 1/2 hours apart..???? On mapquest Lexington KY is only 2 hours and 25 minutes from my home. I'm right next door to you in West Virginia. I'm about 30 minutes east of Huntington WV.

My wife had me do a search for visitor attractions last night for Lexington.

#87922 - 12/12/08 11:57 AM Re: Antiques (A suggestion.., if you got a few yourself)

Squeak, Dave (UD) and Zuki have survived a trip to the "dungeon". Let's look at getting together after the first of the year. It'd be GREAT!

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online