SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87467 - 06/17/08 09:23 AM thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The Rondo copy of a Selmer arrived just a few minutes ago.

It's the first playable copy I've tried. It's a "keeper" for the price. The bridge doesn't lay completely flat on the front, there is a strange piece of foam under the tailpiece to make it work, fit and not rattle, but, as a playable decorator, it's OK. Can't believe the thing was only $214.00 with shipping. The case alone looks like it's worth that.

Fred, given the price, if what you're wanting is a fairly accurate copy, it's OK. I am planning to use the Cordobo on jobs (the dealer claims he's set it up to make it playable). Wish the Saga had been playable. It was the one made out of the original 1932 Selmer tooling.

Fred, I'll check out Saga at NAMM. That would be the obvious choice if they have solved the "green wood" problem they had a few years ago. And, the model I chose (the "D" with a big D shapped sound hole) can be purchased for a little over $600.00, I think. Their Blueridge series is getting good reviews from Bluegrass players.

So, Nigel, if the neck stays in, it's a keeper. It comes with really light strings (non-ball end, believe it or not), and any bow would cause buzzing strings.

Fun little $200.00 toy!

I LIKE IT!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-17-2008).]

#87468 - 06/17/08 11:00 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!

Hold on, guys. 10 minutes with the instrument and I found serious fret problems. Not just buzzing, but fret adjustment so out that the same note holds over three successive frets.

I'll take it to a repair shop, but don't have much hope for it.At a minimum, tuners need replacing, also. Think the foam tailpiece insert is needed to keep from rattling and harming the wood. Intonation is out as far as I've seen with any production instrument, with no way to set/adjust. Oh, well...

A disappointment.

Russ

#87469 - 06/18/08 12:21 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Oh I am so sorry Russ. I'd hoped this would work out better but I guess not. Make a complaint to Rondo and send it back to them. Kurt is pretty good about honoring his return policy.

#87470 - 06/18/08 12:23 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!
Nigel Offline
Admin

I wouldn't bother having it worked on. I'd either exchange it for another or simply get a refund.

#87471 - 06/18/08 12:35 PM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Sorry to hear that Russ.
Like Nigel I wouldn't bother too much and send it back if that's possible.

So it still looks like I need someother search. I'm in France though in august, so I think I'm gonna visit some musicshops.

Fred

#87472 - 06/21/08 10:42 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Hold on, guys. 10 minutes with the instrument and I found serious fret problems. Not just buzzing, but fret adjustment so out that the same note holds over three successive frets.
Russ

Russ is there no truss rod that can be adjusted that may fix the problem?

#87473 - 06/23/08 08:15 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!

Nigel, there is a truss rod, but the problem with all Selmer copies is the lack of any mechanism to raise the bridge without a shim. The design is very complicated to reproduce.

In the case of this instrument, the buzzing is around A flat up to C across the fretboard. Frets are similar to the ones used on old Gibson Fretless Wonders...very thin and hard to get just right. The neck is not out of adjustment at all, it's the closeness of the strings and the bad frets.

I just got an email back from Kurt, and he offered to take it back. I'm going to keep it, try to have a little fret work done on it and then hang it on my office wall. I mostly wanted a decorator, anyway.

I'll play the Cordoba with a pre-amp I just got.

Glad you gave me the Rondo contact. Kurt seems like a good guy.

Russ

#87474 - 06/23/08 11:36 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
The neck is not out of adjustment at all, it's the closeness of the strings and the bad frets.

Russ

So introducing a little more of a bow in the neck wouldn't add some more relief to raise the height of the strings slightly?

Yes Kurt is a very honest vendor and always stands by his policy of allowing returning guitars that have a problem. I have bought a few guitars off him over the years plus I know many other friends that have as well. One of the guitars I bought did have a problem and he promptly had it picked up and sent the replacement.

#87475 - 06/23/08 01:48 PM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!

No, Nigel, the problem is so bad that introducing a slight bow would not take care of the problem. I just came back from my technician and he thinks a fret job on about 7 frets will make it at least playable with minimum buzz. As it is, the same note plays on 4 different fret positions on 5 strings.

Just got another email from Kurt answering a question about a foam insert into the tailpiece that was left there in error. I like him...wish he had other lines to sell!

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-23-2008).]

#87476 - 06/23/08 01:49 PM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!

Now, I'd buy the $50,000.00 Benedetto I saw Saturday at NAMM from Kurt in a heartbeat (yea, right). I'd maby get the plywood "beater" they just introduced with no "F" holes for $10,000.00 (yea, that'll happen)! Or, the little travel guitar for $2900.00 without case or accessories (dream on old man).

Actually, I am going to order the Heritage version of an L-5 for around $8,000.00. Great quality guitar and good people. Mewt and liked the new owner.

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-23-2008).]

#87477 - 06/23/08 04:59 PM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Did Kurt say whether he another one of these guitars in stock that doesn't have the same problem? It sounds like it would be easy for them to check it and if so then you could just replace the one you received.

#87478 - 06/23/08 05:07 PM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!
Nigel Offline
Admin

The best guitars Kurt sells are the higher end Agile guitars with the alnico magnet pickups like the DLX-2800 ( and higher ) Les Pauls. I use one of those myself with the band I play in. IMO they are much better than the Epiphone copies for the price. They really do use maple slab tops and the frets are nicely hand finished. There are a huge amount of good reviews for these at Harmony Central.

#87479 - 06/24/08 07:18 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!

Nigel, i already delivered the guitar to the technician. the guy does 10 hours of work a week for me maintaining my collection. I pay him a salary. so he just put it on the list. Really will be ok for a wall hanger, and not worth the time to ship it back.

It will be fine when it's done...just not a player.

Russ

#87480 - 06/26/08 11:58 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!

There is a problem with most mid-priced guitars...the frets are simply placed in the cut grooves, where they can often work up. The fix is a $250.00 fret job, where the frets are leveled perfectly and then permanently fastened in place. I do this on all my $1000.00 plus newer guitars. The technician tells me that he has temporarily fixed the frets on the Rondo, but that they are so small (part of the design) that they will work up. I'm going to hold off a full glue-job for now, since it would cost more than the guitar.

Still like this little guy. It's just not ever going to be a player.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-26-2008).]

#87481 - 06/30/08 01:12 PM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!

Just got back from the shop. A $75.00 repair/fret job got the little guy playable.

It's a keeper, but I wouldn't recommend anyone buying it as a daily player.

Cute, though,

Russ

#87482 - 07/21/08 11:51 PM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!
Nigel Offline
Admin

So glad you were able to get it playable at least.

And to finish a thread that relates to Django here is a link to Andreas Oberg playing gypsy jazz showing Django still lives on in today's musicians. http://youtube.com/watch?v=bW1yziWcb2M&feature=related

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 07-21-2008).]

#87483 - 07/22/08 06:57 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!

Thanks, Nigel. Really interestig historic stuff. Surprised how loud these acoustic things are.

BTW, trying to order a Flying V case from rhondo, and keep getting error problems. Have emailed them-no response.

Do you have a phone number?

Russ

#87484 - 07/22/08 09:57 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!

Nigel, one other thing I had to do is add neck position markers. the Saga, coronado and others don't have these, and it's a little hairy when you're playing in upper positions.

This little guy is in my office as one of the daily players.

Russ

#87485 - 07/23/08 02:03 AM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Thanks, Nigel. Really interestig historic stuff. Surprised how loud these acoustic things are.

BTW, trying to order a Flying V case from rhondo, and keep getting error problems. Have emailed them-no response.

Do you have a phone number?

Russ

Hi Russ, I've never phoned them actually. I've only ever had email contact. But I did find this number online 603-542-5100 don't know whether it is still good as they have closed the showroom they used to have and now just do online sales.

Isn't Kurt responding to you via email?

#87486 - 07/23/08 12:25 PM Re: thanks, nigel...the Rondo is here!

Nigel-just got confirmation on my order...some kind of glitch in the order process. New case for the Flying V shipped today.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online