SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#87429 - 06/02/08 03:59 AM E-Waste
analogcontrolfreak Offline

It's amazaes me, how much electronic waste, this country produces on a yearly baisis. Out of everything we have produced since the early 20th century. Electronic waste has been the biggest. Especially since the begining of the computer reveolotion, and the introduction of the PC. It got worse as the 80's and 90's progressed. Unfortunetately, I don't have figures on how much e-waste is produced?

What helps a little, is E-cycleing, which cuts down the number of electronics winding up in landfills. Though, this is not a signiffigent impact. There are some countries that continue to burn, or bury e-waste, that is hazzardous to the enviornment. Then, there is waste, that can not be recyled or dealt with prorperly. Much of which was generated in the 1930's-1960's, and wound up sitting in warehouses, just taking up space.

I feel, everyone should recycle there old dead electronics!

Please share your thoughts, and opininons.

#87430 - 06/02/08 08:24 AM Re: E-Waste
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Paul, thanks much for calling attention to a BIG world-wide problem; one we can ALL help with. We just took a pick-up truck load full of old PC's and monitors over to the local recycle center. This is accumulation after only 8 months or so. Imaging what is generated world-wide.

Thanks,

Russ

#87431 - 06/02/08 11:27 AM Re: E-Waste
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Unfortunately, we have become a 'discard and replace' society, driven by the manufacturers who say "it's cheaper to replace it than repair it" ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-02-2008).]

#87432 - 06/02/08 01:08 PM Re: E-Waste
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Unfortunately, we have become a 'discard and replace' society, driven by the manufacturers who say "it's cheaper to replace it than repair it" ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-02-2008).]

Tony here's a great example of that. I'm responsible for the well being of 30 printers and 50 computers where I work. Last week a laser color printer (relatively low cost 4 years ago $499.) I had some major problems with it smearing ink. If I hired a printer repair man it was $100 to walk in the door, plus parts and whatever other labor charges we would have incurred. Short story is I went on line found a refurbished HP 2600n color laser jet for $159 from Staples complete with 4 toner cartridges. Replacement toner for the machine that died as well as the refurb are $84 each. Do the math,well you don't have to, but you hit the nail on the head in your comment. Meanwhile I have 4 unopened toner cartridges that my supplier will take back and credit my account. No wonder why we are in a disposable society.

By the way I have a recycler that I call about once per year to pick up old PCs printers and monitors. He use to charge $150 to come on site to pick up. He doesn't charge any longer because he's making lots of money on recycling precious the metals he extracts rom the PCs.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 06-02-2008).]

#87433 - 06/02/08 04:21 PM Re: E-Waste
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Your welcome Russ. PC's have lots of presious metals. Gold and Copper. Of course copper is worth a lot of money nowadays.

Eeveryone, should try and recycle their electronics. Not just PC's, but cell phones, TV's, DVD players, camcorders, cables, computer keyboards.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online