SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8736 - 09/04/08 06:15 AM paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just curious if you happened to come back and check the threads you created and if you found the responses helpful.

Reference:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum1/HTML/004005.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum1/HTML/004019.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum1/HTML/004018.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum1/HTML/004020.html

I don't mean to come off in a negative way, and I realize that not everyone logs into internet forums every day and maybe this is the case here, but when someone provides help to me due to a question I posed on a forum, a personal thanks for the help follows. If for no other reason than to let the responder know that they are appreciated for taking the time to read the post and providing help.

As I said, I know it is quite possible that you have not yet returned to these forums and therefore haven't responded. But I would think that if a question was important enough to ask in the first place, that it would be as important to return soon to see if you received any answers. Then again it may be that you are fairly new to internet forums and the question of friendly forum etiquette never popped into mind.

Either way, a helpful hint: directly below the message field where you type your post, you will see a check box labeled Email Notification. Place a check mark in that box and then if anyone does respond to a post you create, you will be notified via email. This way it is not necessary at all to visit the forum regularly just to check a thread.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 09-04-2008).]

#8737 - 09/04/08 08:59 PM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
Just curious if you happened to come back and check the threads you created and if you found the responses helpful.

Reference:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum1/HTML/004005.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum1/HTML/004019.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum1/HTML/004018.html
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum1/HTML/004020.html

I don't mean to come off in a negative way, and I realize that not everyone logs into internet forums every day and maybe this is the case here, but when someone provides help to me due to a question I posed on a forum, a personal thanks for the help follows. If for no other reason than to let the responder know that they are appreciated for taking the time to read the post and providing help.

As I said, I know it is quite possible that you have not yet returned to these forums and therefore haven't responded. But I would think that if a question was important enough to ask in the first place, that it would be as important to return soon to see if you received any answers. Then again it may be that you are fairly new to internet forums and the question of friendly forum etiquette never popped into mind.

Either way, [b]a helpful hint
: directly below the message field where you type your post, you will see a check box labeled Email Notification. Place a check mark in that box and then if anyone does respond to a post you create, you will be notified via email. This way it is not necessary at all to visit the forum regularly just to check a thread.

[/B]

Some good points raised there. I run into this all the time. Post a reply to a thread and then not get any response back what so ever. At times I'm not even sure if the creator of the thread even bothers to check it after posting. Especially here at SZ.

I sort of attribute it to the fact that a lot of newbs who post here really are new to public forums and simply don't realize that it is sort of a courtesy to post a simple "thanks" or any follow up to their original question for that matter.

To me its not so much about getting gratitude but rather making sure that there's a normal two-way communication taking place. However, I do find some comfort in the thought that in case the thread isn't read by its starter its at least read by a person seeking answers to the same question. Say someone just Googles for an answer to the same question and SZ archives show up for their convenience as search results. I actually found this forum that way.

#8738 - 09/04/08 10:05 PM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
And both you guys have provided so much very good help over the years to people you don't even now. Even if you don't get much thanks from some of them I personally thank you so very much for generously providing your expertise to us all.

I don't think this problem is limited to Synth Zone but is widespread online. I have learned over the years not to focus on the shortcomings of some people but just value those who do make being online an enriching experience.

#8739 - 09/05/08 06:15 AM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. After reading 3351's post I realized that I should have pointed out one more important thing which is that my main concern is that the person needing help gets it. Sure it's nice to feel appreciated by receiving praise but the biggest thing to me is knowing that the time I put in to checking manufacturers websites, reading online manuals, etc. to research an answer for someone hasn't been wasted.

Speaking of praise, there is no better time than now to thank our host Nigel once again for creating and maintaining the website and forums at Synth Zone.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#8740 - 09/05/08 10:37 AM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
3351 Offline

Quote:
Speaking of praise, there is no better time than now to thank our host Nigel once again for creating and maintaining the website and forums at Synth Zone

+1

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-05-2008).]

#8741 - 09/05/08 11:54 AM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
Ditto

Dave you have always gone beyond the call of duty.

I hope all is going well for you.

Thank you Nigel you certainly are appreciated

Jerry

#8742 - 09/05/08 08:44 PM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Yo Dave!
Hope all is well with you.
I'm happy to see you're still sharing your pearls of wisdom.
Ciao,
Jerry

#8743 - 09/07/08 12:39 PM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Yes Yes.... applause for Nigel!!!!

On this send a message page/answer a post...

Will you point me to the place where I can ask to be notified of a response to my post??

I am not visually impaired, of mentally either....

On other forums...these places are in good evidence at the bottom of the posting page...

I will appreciate help.... show me where?

ELIZABETH

------------------

#8744 - 09/07/08 05:45 PM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by etwo4788:
Will you point me to the place where I can ask to be notified of a response to my post??

ELIZABETH

Hi Elizabeth,

I think the only time you can request to be notified via e-mail when a reply is entered is when you are the creator of the post. When you click on 'Post New Topic', directly below the text field where you type you question of comment you will see a check box for receiving e-mail notification.

If there is a way to add a topic to your watched list, I am unaware of it. Maybe Nigel can answer that one.

Best Regards,

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#8745 - 09/09/08 12:00 PM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
DAVE...

Yes, I know to look under where I post my message.... I do not see that opportunity though I have searched each opportunity to "click here".....

I know nothing about "watched lists".....

I DO appreciate your efforts to help...

ELIZABETH

#8746 - 09/09/08 04:27 PM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
3351 Offline

Quote:
I am not visually impaired

I'll pretend I didn't see you post that. I am visually impaired and believe me, with today's technology it is impossible to miss any links in forums.

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-09-2008).]

#8747 - 11/07/08 07:03 AM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
paracelcus Offline

Loc: lexington, ky, USA
I've been away from this site for awhile, and apologize if i seemed rude for not responding to the advice given. hopefully i'll be around a bit more frequently, and i'll always come here first when i have questions.

#8748 - 11/07/08 09:31 AM Re: paracelcus, thucka1, mrufino1 & bowiebolt
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
thank you to everyone that shares their time and talent to help the rest of us grow our learning curve.
Big thank you for Nigel to continue wading through all the BS that flows through here to keep everybody honest and happy.
Best to all,
Bebop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online