SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87226 - 02/15/08 08:06 AM Honest people!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Nice surprise this week. I quit smoking a pipe several years ago, and had lot's of old pipes lying around. I found a guy via the web who buys and restores the things. I contacted him and he wanted me sto send him photos. I told him I'd just ship him the pipes and he could pay whatever he thought they were worth (the option was to throw them away). He offered to pay shipping up front, but I said I'd cover it. I shipped the pipes, some Zippo pipe lighters and a couple of old pipe racks.

In the mail a few days later was a check for $225.00. The amount didn't impress me, it was the guy's honesty! I called to thank him, had a GREAT visit, and made a new friend.

In a day when, sadly, many are trying to take advantage of others, there are some really honest people out there.

I've done business on a "handshake" with others here...DonM, Hank, George, Dave, Jerry (Mainer) and a few others. There are lots of others I'd trust on business deals...no question.

And that's reasssuring, particularly today!

It's nice to have friends you can trust!

Russ

#87227 - 02/15/08 02:05 PM Re: Honest people!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hey Russ, I just bought one of your pipes from that guy. Paid $2500.00 but the guy assured me it was a bargain at twice that price. Feeling a little guilty though, so I'm willing to let you have it back at the cut-rate price of $2000.00. Uh, I'll have to have the payment up front, though, as there are several people waiting in line.

chas

#87228 - 02/16/08 07:19 AM Re: Honest people!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
:0 hee hee hee

#87229 - 02/16/08 01:04 PM Re: Honest people!
captain Russ Offline

Chas, I appreciate a quick witt and smart ass humor most of all...almost enough to forgive that piece of crap C-1 you play.

By the way, I just ordered mine. Diki says you're a monster player, and that isn't surprizing at all.

Be well, friend. You must have gotten the pipe formerly used to consume "herbal" substances (60's).

"One toke over the line, sweet Jesus..."!

R.
(Former hippy, now middle class American)

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 02-16-2008).]

#87230 - 02/17/08 10:19 AM Re: Honest people!
cgiles Offline

I had an opportunity to hear Diki on keyboards with a band and he is a pretty fair player in his own right. If only we could get him to play the right kind of music . He is also a very musically knowledgeable guy, and was able to give me, not only a good explanation of, but also some really valuable tips, on getting comfortable with the rhythmic structure of Reggae music. I have never been completely comfortable with it (sorta like the first time playing 5/4) having been bred, born, and raised on 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, and 6/8. I shared his tips with the band (who don't have a problem with it, anyway) and they were intrigued to see it dissected in such an easily understandable way. Still, to play it well, you have to "feel it".

Diki did point out that the tone of the C1 could use a little more "grit". I agreed with him but pointed out that I turn off the (fake) overdrive and use a 1,3 registration instead of the more traditional (and grittier) 1,2,3. My 1,3 accentuates the percussive sound for soloing but is less ballsy (gritty?). You will need to experiment but I'm confident that between the pretty authentic drawbars, chorus, vibrato, reverb, and overdrive, you will be able to find 'your' sound (or at least close enough for government work).

Diki and I kicked around the idea of maybe meeting up in the Big Easy. I want to go down and check out the Habitat project at Musician's Village. Don't know if it will work out but if it does, it would be fantastic to have you meet us there. Although I've never been there, I know a couple of fairly prominent local musicians (no, not Branford Marsalis, though I'd love to meet him) who still live there. Keep it in the back of you mind.

chas

#87231 - 02/17/08 12:17 PM Re: Honest people!
Uncle Dave Offline

Anyone getting excited about the Diversi organ that Joey D is endorsing?

#87232 - 02/17/08 02:42 PM Re: Honest people!
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Anyone getting excited about the Diversi organ that Joey D is endorsing?

Only if it comes in at under 33 lbs.

chas

#87233 - 02/17/08 07:58 PM Re: Honest people!
Uncle Dave Offline

I think it IS really light. Joey is featured with it in this month's or last's KB mag.....I'll have to dig it out again.

#87234 - 02/18/08 03:42 AM Re: Honest people!
cgiles Offline

I saw the article and read the interview. In fact, I mentioned it here on SZ when that issue first arrived. There wasn't much info on it, as I remember, but it appeared to be the same physical dimensions as a standard B3. That probably translates into "heavy". I'm sure it has some great features and sounds if Joey is involved with it (although I believe he was the one that put the demo on my old Hammond/Suzuki and that sounded terrible - the organ, not the demo).

BTW, in my post above, I described registrations as "1,3" and "1,2,3" instead of the more common 80800000 and 88800000. Old habit. Sorry.

chas

#87235 - 02/18/08 12:45 PM Re: Honest people!
captain Russ Offline

Chas, I would really make an effort to meet you guys in New Orleans. I lived in Bilox1 when I was 13 and rode my little Cushman to New Orleand many, many times to stand outside and listen to the music.

Actually, I might combine the trip to stop by and See Don Mason, if he'd put up with me.

It's about time for me to go to Florida for a day on family business (grandma just turned 105), and I might try to make a swing through the deep South. Just keep me posted.

Also, if you have time, let me know what you think of the rough I posted a while back. I heard from Diki privately and appreciated his comments. Any comments, positive or negative would be appreciated.

Regards,

Russ

#87236 - 02/18/08 11:16 PM Re: Honest people!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sounds great Russ! I will make myself available whenever you find the time.
BTW, wee have a little informal "miniJam" that sorta developed for tomorrow. Joe Lee Richards is coming in from Arkansas. HankB, Billy Ledbetter www.billyledbetter.com
from Monroe, LA, Dean Mathis http://www.geocities.com/corkino/newbeats.htm
and a couple more guys from around here are all coming to the club I work. Always FUN in Louisiana!
DonM

#87237 - 02/19/08 03:21 PM Re: Honest people!
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

Also, if you have time, let me know what you think of the rough I posted a while back. I heard from Diki privately and appreciated his comments. Any comments, positive or negative would be appreciated.

Russ, this is tough for me because I don't know what your aim was with this composition. By that, I mean that I would rate it differently depending on whether you intended it as a jazz composition, jazz-fusion composition, or a commercial composition written for a specific project.

For starters, the musicianship and professionalism is obvious so we can quickly dispense with that. I can send you a list of detailed comments but I'll have to go back for a 3rd or 4th listen. Top of the head, here are some likes and dislikes.

Solos (especially guitar, no suprise there)
Structure (conventional, but that's okay)
Chord changes (sophisticated enough for interesting solos)
Drums and Percussion (really nice groove and well suited to the tune)

DISLIKES:
'Rhodes' slightly too 'TINE-Y', as in bright or shrill, for my taste. I'd use a softer, less agressive 'Rhodes', but with the same attack.

Organ - didn't like the choice of registrations; sounded 'out of place' with the rest of the instrumentation. Organ, yes, but perhaps a lighter, more modern, resgistration (I realize that that is so subjective - it was just a gut reaction kind of thing).

OVERALL:
I really like those horn parts; I'm partial to them anyway, as they make great 'hooks' for solos. Use them more if you plan to use this in a jazz venue. If I absolutely had to rate it:

Composition - as jazz, 7; as jazz fusion, 8-8.5; as 'commercial', probably 9.5.

Performance - 9

Recording - 8.5 (I know it hasn't been final-mixed or mastered)

Well, you asked.

chas

#87238 - 02/19/08 05:34 PM Re: Honest people!
captain Russ Offline

Thanks a lot, Chas. This is just the beginning of a major project-a rough which is presented to the client (an automobile manufacturer) as a music bed direction for a film I produced which was shown to financial analysists and employees.

It was all done in an hour or so, using whatever was lying around...mostly an old Yamaha tone generator, and Alesis drum machine. etc.

After approval of the storyboards and music rough, it goes to final; a real production with real B-3, guitar, horns, real percussion, etc. Can't be busy...would fight with the voice-over. No attempt at this point to do anything but get approval for a direction. No attempt to get acceptible final tones. It's the equivalent of the storyboard detailing footage, V/O's, etc.

Generally, the score is only 10% of the final production on a very tight timeline. Pay is great, and we're the only ones around this area providing original music. The President of the company has input. He loves acid jazz and fusion.

Can't get permission to share finals, which are owned by the client(s). Just posted because of repeated requests, but isn't a final production. Sound scores constitute about 1% of our annual business.

Appreciate your comments, because your opinion matters to me!

Thanks,

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online