SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87115 - 12/27/07 10:41 AM Neat Music Program in Lexington...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I was just asked by my grandson (inherited-my youngest married a lady with a 13 year old)to make a jazz guitar presentation at a unique program in Fayette County Schools. A young teacher started a program teaching youngsters guitar as an elective. He got a local businessman and music store to donate 10 SH Epiphones and 4 nylon string guitars and 10 small amplifiers. They meet twice a week and have guests...bluegrass players, rock, blues, classical, etc. They had their Christmas program a week ago on a week-end night, so I couldn't go.

What a neat idea! It's a program which qualifies as an elective. I just agreed to fund a 2nd program. I'll buy a PA and mikes, 6 SG Epiphones, 6 Squire Strats, 3 nylon string and 3 steel string acoustics with preamps, two Squire basses, 1 small bass amp, music stands, cords, picks, instrument bags, guitar stands, etc. I will maintain/replace equipment as necessary. I'll also provide a small recording set-up so the group can produce a recording as one of the last projects of the semester.

The program I fund will be a little different. With a 2.5 grade average or better, based on financial need, I'll supply an instrument and amp via a work-equity program to the top student each semester. I'll take a look at the cost of setting up a promising young player with a professional quality rig and let them work it out at my company. In the process, I'll let the one student per semester get exposure to sound score work and help set up equipment for some of my jobs.

I just ordered the instruments and will meet with the teacher this week-end. I'll also take an active roll in scheduling guests. At the end of the semester, we'll have a dinner at a restaurant I work (food will be good-the music (me) will suck).hopefully, some of the kids will be able to "sit in".

I'm really cranked. The guitar was my way out of a terrible, abusive childhood, and, if I can do the same for even one kid, the effort will be worthwhile.

Long-term, I'm going to think about creating a music program based in my warehouse. We'll take referrals from the disadvantaged community (my warehouse is right in the middle of that area)and keep the program open 7 days a week for area participants to hang-out. There will be strict participation rules (must stay in school, maintain munimum grade averages...no legal problems, etc.) We'll have a permanent bandstand, well equipped, scheduled lessons, etc. We'll also have a work-equity program for deserving kids to obtain the instrument they need. This program will involve drums, guitar, bass and keyboard.

There was a long-standing disadvantaged youth
program here in Lexington that had to be disbanded several years ago after the founder and 30 year director was convicted of the sexual abuse of many young participants over the years.

I'll meet with city officials early in January to start the process.

I can't think of a better legacy as I consider partial retirement in several years.

I'm really cranked!

Russ

P.S. UD-I'll be asking for advice from the resident "pro" in this area-YOU!

#87116 - 12/28/07 01:26 AM Re: Neat Music Program in Lexington...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That really sounds like an awesome project Russ and you really are the right guy to push it along. I look forward to hearing about how it is progressing.

#87117 - 12/28/07 08:37 AM Re: Neat Music Program in Lexington...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Great notion, Russ...

Its a program that could help countless kids in your area take the "next step" in music.

I do hope we get to spend sometime together in the new year, my friend!

Well done...

#87118 - 12/28/07 10:14 AM Re: Neat Music Program in Lexington...
captain Russ Offline

I feel like this is REALLY a worthwhile project. I spent $10,000 on ther first level yesterday, and have committed $50,000 for "phase 2" at the warehouse.We're not even going to worry about tax deductibility and non-profit status right now...maby later, if that would help the program grow.

Who knows...we may be working with the next Oscar Peterson or Wes Montgomery very soon.

This makes me FEEL GOOD!

Russ "the professor"{ Lay

#87119 - 12/28/07 10:34 AM Re: Neat Music Program in Lexington...
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
"Who knows...we may be working with the next Oscar Peterson or Wes Montgomery very soon"

Maybe future Synthzone members at the least.

I have a feeling you will be very successful. The best of luck with your program. Guys like you and Uncle Dave really make tremendous differences with these kids, unlike most goverment programs.

Just to be clear I know this isn't a government program. The point is motivated individuals can often bring the greatest results even if it's on a small scale.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Mainer (edited 12-28-2007).]

#87120 - 12/29/07 09:43 AM Re: Neat Music Program in Lexington...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, "heartwarming" is too sappy a word to express my feelings about this endeavor of yours; suffice it to say, thank 'god' for people like you who are able to see beyond the pettyness of such things as whose equipment is superior, what genre' of music is best, etc., etc., and see the real issues; ie. providing opportunities for talented, hard-working, morally-responsible, but otherwise 'disadvantaged' kids. The main requirement, as I see it, is that they bring THEIR 50% to the table.

One of the aviation organizations that I belong to (and been an officer of at the national level), The Black Pilots of America (comprised mostly of Black ex-military and or airline pilots) runs a program similar in concept to yours. Although aimed primarily at disadvantaged, inner-city youth, it is open to all and we have always had good representation from both the White and Hispanic communities. I would not personally be involved if it were not open to all. What's important (to me) is that the individual student be willing to make the necessary investment in time and hard work.

I have donated $5000.00 towards the purchase of a trainer (C152) and each year donate matching funds for a scholarship to our aviation summer camp (usually held in Tuskegee, Al (Moten field, home of the Tuskegee Airmen), or Pine Bluff, Ak.

Without the interest and support of plain ol' individuals (such as yourself), most of these kids would probably never get or be exposed to, some of the opportunites in these somewhat exotic (avaition/music) careers.

I wish you every success and can't think of a better role-model than you and your sons (I'm guessing they'll get dragged in as well ). Man, oh man, sure wish I lived a bit closer (and were a bit younger).

chas

#87121 - 12/29/07 12:44 PM Re: Neat Music Program in Lexington...
captain Russ Offline

Chas, what a great effort! As you know, I have a real interest in aviation, and really see the value of your group.

We'll get together this year, if you have the time. I'll be in Atlanta often on a tool packaging project.

You try to be "crusty", sometimes (I do, too), but you're bright, articulate and conscientious...traits I really admire.

I actually heard of the aviation group on PBS and really admired the effort at the time.

Always glad to hear from you. Email me anytime you want to just chat.

I value our association and friendship.

Russ

#87122 - 12/29/07 05:34 PM Re: Neat Music Program in Lexington...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ and Chas your certainly are selfless individuals. First class all the way........great work you are both powers of example.

#87123 - 12/29/07 09:22 PM Re: Neat Music Program in Lexington...
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Russ, Chas,
One of my favorite movies of all time is "Pay It Forward". If you haven't seen it yet...rent it...buy it..steal it..er forget the "steal it" part. The two of you, as well as quite a few others among us (who most of all us old timers know) have done what we can to exemplify the principles depicted in the movie.

Nothing feels as good as feeling good. Paying it forward feels great.
Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 12-29-2007).]

#87124 - 12/30/07 05:19 AM Re: Neat Music Program in Lexington...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:

Nothing feels as good as feeling good...

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 12-29-2007).]

You're absolutely right, and that is why we are not nearly as 'noble' as we might appear. In almost every case, you end up getting more out of these things than you put in. I (along with my wife) have been involved with Habitat for Humanity for some time now and except for some recent health issues, would at this moment be in Mumbai, India on a build led by one of my good friends and former neighbor. BTW, there is a waiting list to get on a build led by (one of my heroes) Jimmy Carter. Makes you seem like this wonderful, caring, person; the truth is, it's like going on vacation with a group of some of the nicest, neatest, people in the world. Most of the groups on the international builds are from around the globe and at least half are young people (20's and 30's). Many lasting friendships are forged from these shared experiences. For some of you 'bored' retirees, try it, you'll enjoy it.

Another side benefit from working with young people is that they get exposed to the concept of volunteerism and "paying it forward". It's something they usually remember later on in their adult lives.

But enough babbling. Good luck and good health in the upcoming year.

chas

PS: Russ, I'm having a ball playing hardcore, "fatback" (think McGriff, Groove Holmes) organ with this Nord C1. This thing has huge 'testicles' along with some nice modern features. So before you give all your money away.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online