SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8641 - 07/06/08 02:54 AM MOTU 828 MK3
Recorder Offline

Just bought MOTU 828 MK3 audio unit, IT'S GREAT!!! Browsing MOTU's web site I found driver update and firmware update to 1.06 version. No problem for driver, but what about firmware? They suggested to power on 828 pressing PAGE button to put the unit in "firmware update mode" then launch the updater..... Well, is it really so simple? What about possible bad situations? When in "firmware update mode", if the update doesn't work for any reason, is it a recovery chance? And, what's new in new firmware version 1.06? (they don't specify ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about that). Any information is very appreciated. Thank you.

#8642 - 07/06/08 12:58 PM Re: MOTU 828 MK3
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Generally it's safe to do but if you have any concerns its best to contact MOTU. I own the MK II and had no issues updating that. The recovery procedure (in case the update goes sour) usually involves rebooting into the update mode and running the installer again. On the MK II you can also do the reset to factory and that also takes care of the quirks (if any introduce themselves after the update process)

...But just so you know the chances of the actual update process going sour are as slim as the chances of you getting struck by lightning. I mean shit does happen. Just not all the time and definitely not to everyone.

cheers,

#8643 - 07/07/08 09:21 AM Re: MOTU 828 MK3
Recorder Offline

Thank you 3351 for your reply. Yes I thought that firmware update could not be a problem, but.... you know, this is my new audio unit (expensive for me.....) and I keep attention! Unfortunately I found any info in its good manual. So, are this update really useful for you? Are they introducing new or modified function or is there just any bugfix? What is your experience with MKII? After using this MK3 I believe this is a very very good audio unit!!! I come from Echo Audio Layla24 (not so bad), but this is another world!!!
Thank you again.

#8644 - 07/07/08 07:25 PM Re: MOTU 828 MK3
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I think the new firmware must be installed in order for the unit to work with the new drivers. Don't quote me on that though. It's an easy process and in case anything goes bad it can be undone. (i.e. rollback or just reinstall).

BTW if you have any questions but can't find answers in the manual best thing to do is to submit a contact form on MOTU home page. I'm sure they won't mind addressing any concerns or inquiries you may have. That's what they are there for.

Suffice it to say I never had to do that since my MOTU has been perfect in every way since day 1. I only had to update the drivers for OS X TIger, Leopard and UB compatibility. Just routine maintenance updates. Nothing major. MOTU stuff is pretty flawless.

cheers,

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 07-07-2008).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online