SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#86299 - 07/24/06 04:38 AM Squam Lake - anyone been?
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Hello,

Being a big fan of the film, 'On Golden Pond', I've always wanted to visit Squam Lake in New Hampshire where it was filmed. Apparently you can visit some of the main sites still present from the film. Since I now live in England it's quite a costly trek to go for a visit, so am just curious if anyone on here has been there? If so, is it just as beautiful as in the film?

I'm not only interested in visiting because of the film. I've always loved lakes and hope to have my own cabin by a lake some day.

Carrie

#86300 - 07/24/06 08:46 AM Re: Squam Lake - anyone been?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi Carrie,

I didn't know that bit of trivia, but New Hampshire has been on my list of places to visit for quite a while now. I live in New York, so it's a much closer for me. I've been to Vermont in the fall, and that was spectacular. Friends have said NH is even more beautiful. The movie "Baby Boom" always seems to pop in my head when I think of these two locations. Did Diane Keaton's character move to Vermont or New Hampshire from her advertising job in New York?

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#86301 - 07/24/06 09:32 AM Re: Squam Lake - anyone been?
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
http://www.squamlakeschamber.com/about.php

Carrie & Al

Guess where I'm from. LOL

I have visited New Hampshire many, many times and do love its mountains and lakes. I never tire of its beauty.

I've not been to squam lake but would venture a good sized bet it's even prettier then the film shows it to be.

Carrie you would find that Squam lake would be only about 2 1/2 hours from Boston, Ma. There is so much more to see as well.The New england states are worth a visit for sure.

With the price of fuel being so high the traffic might be more forgiving. East to west travel in Maine, N.H. and Vermont can be tedious because its mostly 2 lane roads. North to South is Ok

Flights from the UK to the North East are advetised in the Boston Globe with some great fares from time to time.

If you get serious about coming Email me I might be able to help out with a little info & research for you.

Jerry

#86302 - 07/25/06 01:22 AM Re: Squam Lake - anyone been?
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
Hi Al,

I haven't seen the film 'Baby Boom' so someone else will have to provide the answer to your question.

Jerry,

I'm so jealous! I know my husband would love to visit New England too, just because he's from England. We're travelling to my hometown in Indiana next month, but we couldn't afford those plane tickets - my parents are paying. As soon as we get the money this is top on my list of places to visit. Maybe we could drive up from Indiana with my parents or something.

Thanks for that link too. Interesting reading! I just might take you up on that info/research offer!

Carrie

#86303 - 07/25/06 01:37 AM Re: Squam Lake - anyone been?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Carrie UK

I'm familiar with Squam Lake and the surronding area. It's all beautiful country, I live about 3 hours south of Squam Lake. As Mainer has said, it's prettier than in the movie. I have skiied and hiked in for many years in New Hampshire. Some of them in the Squam Lake area. Out of all the New England States, New Hampshire IMHO is the best. The scenery is fantastic. If one travels north by car on Interstate 93 you'll see some beautiful sites. Plenty to see and do there.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online