SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86263 - 01/18/05 08:00 AM My Lucky Day
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I was summoned to serve on the Grand Jury. It is for a term of six months and every capital case during that time will go before that jury!
I went to the courthouse, and by the time they excused a couple, and issued bench warrants for five or six that didn't show, there were only 18 names left in the pool. They put the names in a box and drew them one at a time--12 jurors and 2 alternates.
I wasn't even worried--I've never won a drawing in my life! Three others and I were "free to go".
DonM

#86264 - 01/18/05 08:09 AM Re: My Lucky Day
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Not being picked is kinda like winning, huh Don?

In '96 I was summoned to a Federal courthouse and WAS picked to serve on a jury for a major drug case. I dutifuly sat and listened to all the testimony for six days. When it was time for deliberation, the Judge says, "Number 13, you are dismissed".

Unbeknownst to me I was #13 which means I was an alternate. I wasn't even allowed to stay to see what the outcome was. However, they paid me a whopping $40 per day plus mileage.

But, no severence. Bummer

Eddie

#86265 - 01/18/05 08:33 AM Re: My Lucky Day
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I served GJ in NY when I lived there ... It is interesting but also can give you a jaded look at our society .. For GJ they don't need much evidence to bring a case, and the GJ decides if it sould go to trial ... I never realized there was so much crime in Staten Island NY until I served ...
I've also served on other jury panels but was never assigned to a case ... I know it's our civic duty, but I'm not sure how I would feel deciding someone else's fate ...
t.

#86266 - 01/18/05 01:34 PM Re: My Lucky Day
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
I'm not sure how I would feel deciding someone else's fate ...
t.

Tony,

It is consciencious people like you that make the system work.

Don,

I can relate to not ever winning anything, with one exception - in 2000 I won sweepstakes at Harmony-Central, and they sent me and my wife on a very enjoyable trip to LA NAMM, complete with 5-star hotel, airfare, and admission tickets. To top it all off, they gave me $500 in spending cash. I still feel some loyalty to them and visit their web site every few days.

Cheers,
Alex

#86267 - 01/18/05 02:04 PM Re: My Lucky Day
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I allways wondered about this duty.

What happens if you run a company and you have no one to replace you ?
What happens to your daily job if you have to do your duty. Will your employer pay the days you're gone? Some court cases can last month's ?

Can somebody enlighten an interested foreigner?

#86268 - 01/18/05 08:46 PM Re: My Lucky Day
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I really don't know the answers to all of these questions, but I'm sure the employer must hold your job. There is a nominal pay for being a juror, I think something like $40. per day.
The judge today said that the ONLY people who didn't have to serve were convicted unpardoned felons, those unable to speak, read or write English, those over 70, and those with medical conditions that wouldn't allow them to serve.
I have heard that people with certain occupations are not called, including teachers and doctors.
DonM

#86269 - 01/18/05 09:02 PM Re: My Lucky Day
btweengigs Offline

They don't make it easy to get excused from any Jury that I know of. Among other candidates called when I was, were a few who said they had good excuses. They weren't even allowed to present them during the Jury Selection process until their name came up.

Most of those who were excused were dismissed because either the defense attornies, Prosecutor or both felt the candidate had a bias or was predjudiced in some way.

When I was called, I had a day job that was part salary, part commission. The company I worked for continued to pay my salary, but of course, I could make no commissions while in court.
Eddie

#86270 - 01/19/05 06:08 AM Re: My Lucky Day
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Some companies will make up the difference between your regular salary and the 'stipend' given by the courts, some (like the one I work for) will pay your full salary and the 'stopend' is a bonus ...

It can be very difficult to get out of jury duty, but some judges allow it for really extenuating circumstances ...
t.

#86271 - 01/19/05 01:27 PM Re: My Lucky Day
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I guess if you show them some half-waco tendencies, they'd let you go...........

#86272 - 01/19/05 02:10 PM Re: My Lucky Day
btweengigs Offline

Yeah...
To get out of jury duty.

For a drug case
You could show up stoned.

For a terrorist case
Wear a Turbin.

For a murder case
Wear an "I Love O.J." pin.

For a rape case
Bring a copy of Hustler to read during jury selection.

....well you get the idea.

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online