SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8624 - 06/13/08 01:49 PM Virtual instrument software
2oldman Offline

Loc: Ephrata WA
My question has to do with virtual instruments - plugins. I've been away from the technology for a while and it looks like things have come a long way.

In the old days, you created MIDI files with a keyboard, then played them back thru the same keyboard utilizing the voices (patches) in that keyboard. You could change the patch in the software, but, if the 'tone generator' (keyboard) couldn't recognize that patch, it couldn't play it. But now, there's technology called 'virtual instruments'.

With a 'Soft synth' or 'virtual instrument' any instrument can now be digitally created on the computer. You create the MIDI track as usual, but then you can assign it any instrument in the software, and voila, it plays back as that instrument thru the audio (line) out of your MIDI interface. You don't have to play it back thru the MIDI keyboard, you simply run the line out to your amplifier.

What I want to make sure is.. is this really possible? I do understand this correctly? I really don't need a fancy tone generator or sound card or something else?

#8625 - 06/13/08 03:11 PM Re: Virtual instrument software
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi There
You must have been away awhile as virtual instruments have been around since the 90s.
A virtual instrument can be a tone generator, a sampler, an effects unit and many other types of equipment.
The difference is that unlike hardware, everything is done in software inside the computer. (Hence the virtual title)
Here are a few links that should help you along, as well as showing you what’s out there. http://www.kvraudio.com one of the best resources for Virtual Instruments
http://www.native-instruments.com Produces of a lot of popular plug-ins
http://www.steinberg.net/24_1.html The inventers of VST instruments
http://www.eastwestsamples.com/formats_and_categories.php Producers of some great plug-ins

There are also computer based keyboards that allow you to load in Virtual instruments, thus allowing you to use them as if they came as part of the instrument. www.wersi.de
http://www.lionstracs.com

You may also like to Google “General Midi” which is a standard adopted by all manufactures so that their instruments can talk to each other, including selecting the correct sounds.
Hope this helps

Bill

#8626 - 06/13/08 03:48 PM Re: Virtual instrument software
2oldman Offline

Quote:
You must have been away awhile
That, and maybe not paying attention!

Let me get real specific - because many sites I've been to don't really answer this one simple question: I can record MIDI tracks as always, but, I can play them back as ANY instrument I wish through the line out jacks in my MIDI interface (Tascam)?

#8627 - 06/13/08 11:58 PM Re: Virtual instrument software
abacus Offline

If you can output sound from your computer through your Tascam interface, and you can input midi information from your controller into the computer, then you can play any virtual instrument you like. (Assuming the computer is up to the job)
If you have recorded a midi sequence on you computer, you can send this midi data to the Virtual instrument and send the sound from the Virtual instrument to the output of your computer.
Best way is to download a few trial versions; you will soon get the hang of the basic operation. (Make sure you use ASIO drivers) If you are not sure of anything, then you will find the answer on KVR. (Just do a search)
Hope this helps

Bill

#8628 - 06/14/08 08:26 AM Re: Virtual instrument software
2oldman Offline

Quote:
abacus:]If you can output sound from your computer through your Tascam interface,

find the answer on KVR. (Just do a search)
Hope this helps
Point 1. Output sound. Yes, this is where my understanding drops. I have a new Sony laptop, Intel Pentium Dual core, and Realtek sound. The virtual instrument uses my sound card? Or does it create its own analog wave?

KVR.. that's the link you provided earlier? thanks

#8629 - 06/14/08 10:49 AM Re: Virtual instrument software
abacus Offline

The Virtual instrument uses the Digital to Analogue (D/A) converter in your sound card to convert its sound, it does not use any of the sounds built in to your onboard soundcard.
I would recommend you obtain an external Fire wire or USB 2 sound card, as most laptop D/A converters (Including Sony) are of very poor quality.
BTW You may like to post on the SZ Software arranger forum, as others have already done what you are trying to do.
Hope this helps

Bill

#8630 - 06/14/08 12:54 PM Re: Virtual instrument software
2oldman Offline

"obtain an external Fire wire or USB 2 sound card"

That's what I thought, and what a Sweetwater 'engineer' is not telling me. So, it's either:
1) Sequencing software with plugins and USB sound card
2) Sequencing software and external sound module - midi compatible
3) Drum machine and just use my P120 voices

[This message has been edited by 2oldman (edited 06-14-2008).]

#8631 - 06/17/08 07:18 PM Re: Virtual instrument software
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I just started getting into plug-ins, soundfonts, and virtual orchestras two years ago on this computer when I was still running Windows 2000. I was pleased! Foolishly I installed Windows Vista Ultimate (I payed $400!!!) and my SoundBlaster Live and Virtual instrument software refused to work. I just dismissed it but would like to get started again. Since Windows XP support will be history later this year, I guess I need to get updated software for Vista that will work. What do you recommend? -charley

#8632 - 06/17/08 11:25 PM Re: Virtual instrument software
abacus Offline

Forget Vista, it is a complete and unmitigated disaster, (Even Microsoft privately admits it’s useless for music software) stay with XP or if you are on 2000 upgrade to XP Pro. (Forget Media Centre)
BTW Microsoft has bought forward the replacement for Vista to 2010
Hope this helps

Bill

#8633 - 06/22/08 12:33 PM Re: Virtual instrument software
2oldman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Forget Vista, it is a complete and unmitigated disaster,
I'll take that comment with a grain of salt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online