SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86022 - 01/30/06 01:49 PM RARE GUITARS $50,000.00 per string
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
check out this article about collecting guitars and their current values: http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/extra/P142831.asp

Amazing, I say,
Bebop

#86023 - 01/30/06 02:24 PM Re: RARE GUITARS $50,000.00 per string
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, BeBop, for the article. I've been an avid collector for 50 years and have over 300 pieces. Many are really valuable (pre-CBS
Fenders...my first good one, a 52 ES 295, lots of L-5's, etc.). Others are just fun, like the Robin mentioned in an earlier post.

I have taken busines depreciation on all of them and buy the maximum a year I can legally get away with.

It's my retirement, but I can't bring myself to part with a single one, although I have given 4 or 5 away to really promising jazz students over the years.

The thing is, I can't get as attached even to old B-3's as I can with a real piece of wood with vibrating strings aging with grace.

I smile when I look at some of the appraisals, but the joy they have brought me in my lifetime is priceless.

Russ

#86024 - 01/30/06 06:40 PM Re: RARE GUITARS $50,000.00 per string
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Russ and Nigel, I thought about you dudes when I read this article in my stock market news this afternoon and that is why I posted it here. I thought the article was too long to post so just the url pointer.
Glad it was of some interest to you
Bebop

#86025 - 01/31/06 12:56 AM Re: RARE GUITARS $50,000.00 per string
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Great article Bebop. Thanks so much for thinking of us and posting the link.

I just love guitars so much. Like Russ says there is something so very organic about a wooden instrument with strings. They really are alive. Although I appreciate the value of rare guitars my passion is simply playing them. I always feel sad when I see guitars that are never played. My only valuable guitar is a 1964 Gibson ES-335 while the rest of my guitars range from US Fender Strats through to cheap Korean copies. The guitar I use all the time with my band is a $300 Schecter Stratocaster with Duncan pickups. I love that guitar but it has very little monetary value. It just sounds and feels great so that's what I use. I have no problem being seen using cheap guitars.

But if I was Keith Richards ( or Russ ) I'd love to collect vintage guitars. They realize the true value of great guitars and appreciate that they need to be preserved.

#86026 - 01/31/06 07:01 AM Re: RARE GUITARS $50,000.00 per string
captain Russ Offline

I'm with you, Nigel. For performing, I use what feels and sounds good. Some of my favorite are "beaters". On my jobs last week, my nylon string was a ratty old Yamaha. My Jazz guitar was a full size DeArmond X-155 (briefly made a few years ago off the Guild x-155 molds-out of business). The basses were a DeArmond semi-hollow short neck (looks like a 335) and a Japaneese Squire P bass. None of these cost or are worth more than $500.00, but they are GREAT!

I sometimes use beaters when I'm concerned about damage, but usually, I just want to.

Of course, my all-time favorite is that old Guild you so graciously posted photos of last year. No real value, but what
memories!

For bass, it's a 63 jazz, which is played weekly and rarely needs any work. Of course, since I played it 6 nights a week in my "wild and crazy" days, it looks like somebody ploughed fields with it. After playing it almost 40 years I shopped for a "daily player" replacement and bought, you guessed it, a new American Jazz bass. It's my all-time favorite fretted electric bass. I've turned down some pretty big bucks for the old one, but would never get rid of it.

Thanks, folks, for putting up with this rambling trip down memory lane!

Russ
(still "pick" OK..just don't "grin" like I used to)!

#86027 - 01/31/06 08:41 PM Re: RARE GUITARS $50,000.00 per string
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Great thread Beebop.

For the longest time, I used to think the Tele was the ugliest guitar on the face of the earth....
...Oh how things change as we grow wiser.
My Tele is my main gigging guitar, versatile, relatively light compared to the SGs, IMO.

I also proudly own an Ibanez Musician. This is a heavy piece of wood. It's excellent for studio work (where you don't have to stand for 3 or 4 hours.) Full 2 octave neck through body, Mahogany and Maple, about a gazillion tons of brass....but heavy. Excellent tonal quality, extremely fast neck, did I mention it was heavy!!.

My Rick? Hey...it's a classic, not quite as versatile as the Tele for speed and tone change, but a unique sound in itself. The tailpiece had a severe crack in it, so it had to be replaced, good luck trying to find original parts.

Ah....my sweetheart...Danelectro 12.
When I look for a guitar, the first thing for me is it's gotta feel right, in the neck. Easy movement, minimal fret/finger interference. This one melted in my hands when I picked it up. Couldn't leave without it.

I picked up a rare Hagstrom a while back. These guitars have got the fastest necks around. Am I right Nigel? Not overly versatile in the tonal varieties, but when it's this fast, it's a fair compensation.
Fender Tele

Ibanez Musician

Rick

Danny Boy

HagtromII

Thanx for taking us down memory lane Beebop.

ps. I saw one of these floating in a music store the other day...
...I want it....I want it so bad!!
http://www.rockcityguitar.com/rc/items.asp?.r=263614&p=3&id=821

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 01-31-2006).]

#86028 - 02/01/06 12:16 PM Re: RARE GUITARS $50,000.00 per string
captain Russ Offline

Saw that Dano before...it's the one on your website, isn't it?

COOL!

I have one original Dano, and 5 of the re-issues. The six string bass model (think Rawhide, some early Duane Eddy and doubling of the upright bass on old Motown pieces)
is lots of fun!

Pick on, folks!

Russ

#86029 - 02/01/06 12:37 PM Re: RARE GUITARS $50,000.00 per string
shboom Offline

Look closely Russ...
...that's a twelve string bass.

------------------
...shboom

#86030 - 02/01/06 02:02 PM Re: RARE GUITARS $50,000.00 per string
captain Russ Offline

Really? My monitor isn't great. When was this made? Does that mean that the neck is 30 plus inches? Never saw anything like this and I've been a Dano fan since I bought my first Dano double (12 and 6) in 1963.

I've seen a 12 Baritone, but not a bass.

Russ

#86031 - 02/01/06 03:17 PM Re: RARE GUITARS $50,000.00 per string
shboom Offline

Originally made by Hamer.
I'd like to get it.....just to have it!!

------------------
...shboom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online