SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#85881 - 01/24/05 07:06 AM Saving $$$ on prescription drugs
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
My mother is elderly. I don't know how much she spends on prescription drugs but it's too much. She's incredibly healthy but does take some things. Whatever the doc says. The doc is God to her.

He just told her she has elevated triglycerides now, so he put her on something. Did he mention ONE WORD about what she could do with diet? Nope. I told her I bet she could likely totally solve the problem with diet mods, mainly reduce sugar. (That's her downfall, a sweet tooth.)

Anyway, just wondering if there is anything anyone has found (USA) to reduce drug costs. If there is any kind of drug discount card she could get. That actually works.

Buy generic, I would recommend that to her.

She's also loyal to a local pharmacist and I'd bet she could save by buying elsewhere. Depends on how much she could save. I mean, yeah, he's a nice guy but we're talking about a woman on a very limited income. And all he does is fill the prescription, it's not like he gives her advice she couldn't get from any pharmacist. The doc is the one who is God.

#85882 - 01/24/05 07:18 AM Re: Saving $$$ on prescription drugs
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I buy my drugs from Drugstore.com a division of Rite Aid. We have a Rite Aid on the corner and by ordering from the website the same drugs cost half what the local store charges. When I asked the local pharmicist if he could match the price he said no.
This is even cheaper than using one of those so called prescription cards even the medicare ones.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 01-24-2005).]

#85883 - 01/24/05 08:35 AM Re: Saving $$$ on prescription drugs
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Confidence in her doctor and pharmacist are important...leave it alone, this probably helps her maintain her good health..the mind is also a wonderous thing..

#85884 - 01/24/05 09:47 AM Re: Saving $$$ on prescription drugs
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I buy my drugs from Drugstore.com a division of Rite Aid. We have a Rite Aid on the corner and by ordering from the website the same drugs cost half what the local store charges. When I asked the local pharmisist if he could match the price he said no.
This is even cheaper than using one of those so called prescription cards even the medicare ones.

Heck, that's amazing. That much of a difference, same drug?

#85885 - 01/24/05 11:05 AM Re: Saving $$$ on prescription drugs
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Heck, that's amazing. That much of a difference, same drug?

Same drug, I don't know if it is because the corner store is in NY and the online store is in NJ.
Plus they send me an email to remind me to refill, they will call the doctors office and renew the scripts. They don't handle narcotics.

#85886 - 01/24/05 01:18 PM Re: Saving $$$ on prescription drugs
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Look into 90 day prescriptions by mail..We pay the same copay for a 90 day script as we did for 30 day script..

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online