SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85543 - 08/14/05 11:33 AM Help: Low volume connecting MP3-player to stereo.
painkiller Offline

Loc: Sweden
Some time ago I bought a MP3-player. I recently discovered that my stereo had a RCA-in jack and I wanted to test how well the MP3-player would sound through my stereo speakers. There was only one problem: when I had connected the MP3-player the volume was extremely low. If I put the MP3 player on max volume it was barely acceptable, but doing so will drain the battery quickly. Also, maxing the stereo volume out is inconvenient because I often use my stereo to listen to CDs and audiobooks and it's not so good to have to switch volume all the time . My question (AT LAST!) is: Is there an easy (and cheap) solution to this problem? The MP3 player has a line-out jack (a 3,5 mm or 1/8" one) and my stereo has a RCA-in jack.

------------------

Robert.

#85544 - 08/15/05 06:24 AM Re: Help: Low volume connecting MP3-player to stereo.
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well the easy way around this problem is to simply buy an AC power adapter for your MP3 player. That way you won't need to worry about the batteries draining.

If on the other hand you like pain and suffering of doing things Mickey Mouse way then try connecting by using a headphone jack on your MP3 player. Usually headphone outs on Walkmans, Discmans, MD and MP3 players are hotter than line outs. OF coarse then you will need to worry about batteries again. ALso, you might want to get rechargable batteries. Saves lots of money.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 08-15-2005).]

#85545 - 08/15/05 11:35 AM Re: Help: Low volume connecting MP3-player to stereo.
painkiller Offline

Thanks, but I've thought of both . I actually tested the headphone jack and it's significantly *lower* than the line-out . Regarding an AC adapter: there is one included (for charging the battery) and the manual states that it shall not be connected unless you want to charge the battery. I don't know if this is the usual security talk, but I don't want to destroy anything by testing .

------------------

Robert.

#85546 - 08/15/05 02:08 PM Re: Help: Low volume connecting MP3-player to stereo.
3351 Offline

Well, it's a first time I hear about a headphone jack being weaker than line out... But in today's world of cheap ass technological wonders everything is possible. Afraid that the only option you have then is to mess with rechargable batteries. Not that you haven't thought of that either but tragically that is all that is left.

Another option would be to trash the damn thing and get something better. But you have to be able to afford that. I had to do that with the audio interface for my new Mac. I picked up an Edirol and was getting a very weird noise on the main outs. Not very common for Macs. Noise and crap of that sort is usually a PC thing. However the only solution to the noise problem was a more expensive audio interface. I went with MOTU 828. Works like a charm now.

So unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do about this bizarre problem that you're having with your MP3 player. If you can only connect the AC to charge the batteries then I guess you can't really use one to power the thing. I'm just wondering why they didn't just ****ing give it a normal AC power supply. I mean most people would try to do what you're trying to do which is connecting it to external amplifiers and systems. That is why they gave the damn thing a line out jack right?

Personally I don't mess with that kind of stuff. If it ain't pro stuff I don't touch it. Used to , but had enough!!!

-ED-

#85547 - 08/16/05 07:06 AM Re: Help: Low volume connecting MP3-player to stereo.
painkiller Offline

Seems like I'll have to live with it. I have a solution though, but it doesn't solve the problem: to copy all files to my computer and play them from there. It's over 10 GB, and with my USB 2.0 currently not working it would take me hours to move everything, so I'll have to wait with that too.
Btw, this is pro stuff .

------------------

Robert.

#85548 - 08/16/05 07:55 AM Re: Help: Low volume connecting MP3-player to stereo.
3351 Offline

Well, since there are exceptions to everything under the sun this powerless excuse for an MP3 player can be safely called notta so pro.

I already thought of suggesting that you use your computer instead but I also figured that you thought of that because you are indeed using a computer to talk to me.

Another thing that you might've thought of already is copying your library to a few CDs or DVDs (for more convinnience) and playing it with your DVD player. Unless of coarse you've got a really old one or your TV setup is located in another room away from your Hi Fi or a mixer.

Getting an iPOD would be good too. I think the smaller ones are about $100 uS and as you know and already thought of they don't hold anything over a gig and if they do then they cost more than they are worth. Unless of coarse what you have already is a weird version of an iPOD.

Well, I can't realy be helpful to you I guess. I feel bad now.

On the bright note the new interface for my G5 is smokin'! Obviously not anywhere near as good as my older Digidesign PCI cards but nevertheless firewire interfaces have their advantages.

Good luck with your stuff. Hope you find some solution.

-ED-

#85549 - 08/16/05 10:54 AM Re: Help: Low volume connecting MP3-player to stereo.
painkiller Offline

Thanks again Ed!
I think you misunderstood me a bit, but that's my own fault smile. I don't have one of those small flash players (they don't hold 10 GB either). I have an iRiver H320, which is a really great piece of hardware. It's not really the MP3 player that's the problem either. I thought there was some kind of device to put between the MP3 player and the stereo to amplify the signal a bit, that would be the ultimate solution. Btw, I tested the player with one of my friend's computer speakers some time ago and it worked fine smile. Oh yeah, now I write too much again smile. Anyway, moving the files to CDs or DVDs would defeat the whole purpose of having the player: being able to change files, delete files and so on.
Hope I haven't wasted too much of your time smile.

P.s.: Why should I buy an iPod? Isn't iPod an MP3 player wink? I already have something better laugh.

PPS: I think I remember you said once that you used a screen reader (like me). What screen reader do you use and what version? (It's always interesting to know)

------------------

Robert.

#85550 - 08/16/05 02:47 PM Re: Help: Low volume connecting MP3-player to stereo.
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Your situation sounds to me like possibly a problem with your MP3 player.
We use one for break music between sets, and it functions just fine. Don't ask me the make & model, it's our guitar player's, but our system kicks the sound out just great, and yes he does use an AC adaptor. Check the overall gain in the channel your going to.
Just my thots....

------------------
...shboom

#85551 - 08/16/05 02:59 PM Re: Help: Low volume connecting MP3-player to stereo.
3351 Offline

Well, missunderstandings and confusion are cool as long as they turn into understanding and clarity.

Now that you told me that you have something better than an iPod it is obvious that getting an iPod isn't one of the smarter options. However, if you get one for free, I suggest you hook that up to your stereo instead.

I am currently using only Mac OS X on both my G4 and a brand new G5 (dual 2.7Ghz processor 1.25Ghz bus. 8GB of ram. It is a beast). OS X Tiger (10.4) actually features a screen reader of it's own. No additional software to install. Just hit "command+F5" when the Mac starts up and everything will be read to you. Some cool navigation modes to mess with too. Voices seem to sound good too.

On my PC I used to run ZoomText 8 which is both a magnification + Screen reader program. I liked that one a lot. It was the best of outSpoken and ZoomText put together. I also used Connect Outloud but not for long. It's navigation controls were a bit of a mess. For me anyway.

I've given up on using PCs ever since my ThinkPad had it's last hard drive crash. It was a brand new drive and wooom. Just went down one day. No reason. XP was unable to re-install so I think the drive is dead. Paying for one isn't really within my plans right now since first of all I have something better and second wife and I just had a baby, moved to a new house and bought me some toys for music. Right now I don't want to blow hundreds of dollars on something that I don't need to use. Before Tiger OS X came out new Macs didn't feature any screen reader support and since that has changed I don't really intend to go back to PC horror. I never used PCs for music anyway but even for browsing the web they were .. quircky. Especially when ZoomText just came out.

-ED-

#85552 - 08/16/05 10:37 PM Re: Help: Low volume connecting MP3-player to stereo.
painkiller Offline

Shboom:
I think it's only partially the MP3-player's problem, because I tested to connect both my computer and my keyboard to the stereo and also had to turn up the volume for these a bit (not as much as for the MP3 player, but still). Thanks anyway smile.

3351:
Nice to know about that Mac thing, if I ever will use a Mac. I have used PCs ever since I got my first computer and I've rarely encountered any failures. I also used ZoomText some years ago, but when I got Jaws I didn't need ZoomText anymore (I use a braille display instead of zooming now).

------------------

Robert.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online