SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8519 - 01/12/08 04:10 PM Advice for buying a keyboard
tjstjs Offline

Hi,
I am relatively unfamiliar with the details of keyboards but I have recently been experimenting with Ableton and Reason and want to have an actual keyboard to input stuff into the software. It doesn't have to have speakers or do anything fancy, just input to my computer via USB. I have read about a few keyboards that have "MIDI out" ports and "USB connections" but I'm unsure if this is actually what I need. Specifically, what port and cable do I need to do this? Do you have any suggestions of a cheap keyboard that could be used for these purposes pretty easily? Thanks a lot

Tjs

#8520 - 01/12/08 04:12 PM Re: Advice for buying a keyboard
tjstjs Offline

I should probably have mentioned I want to record MIDI signals not just straight waveforms

#8521 - 01/13/08 07:23 AM Re: Advice for buying a keyboard
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
If its just MIDI you want to record (i.e. control your setup and play your soft synths with the dedicated keyboard controller) then all you really need is a MIDI keyboard. Nowadays MIDI transmits via both MIDi cables and USB/Firewire.

So if you're after a MIDI controller keyboard then a trip to your local music store should help you find what you need. If you want recommendations then I personally like CME stuff. Dirt cheap, feels good and comes with plenty of external controls that you can assign to anything.

The only thing that confused me about your post was you mentioning built-in speakers. If it's just MIDI you want then wy would you need them? You already have speakers don't you?

cheers,

EDIT
Oops... wrong icon for the post again. My bad.

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-13-2008).]

#8522 - 01/13/08 04:29 PM Re: Advice for buying a keyboard
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online