SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#85181 - 01/24/05 03:02 PM Stroke Symptoms
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

Ask the individual to smile.

Ask him or her to raise both arms.

Ask the person to speak a simple sentence.

If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately
and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher. After discovering that a
group of non-medical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm
weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting last February. Widespread
use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the
stroke and prevent brain damage.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10
people, you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

#85182 - 01/24/05 04:27 PM Re: Stroke Symptoms
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
While you're waiting for the paramedics to arrive, if you have them available, give the person three to four ordinary asparin if they're still able to swallow without aspirating. This could save their life. Most strokes are merely small blood clots, some so tiny that they can easily be dissolved with ordinary asparin. The person will, obviously, still require immediate medical attention, however, immediate is the key word. Clot busters administered for strokes are frequently not administered in a timely manner, especially in emergency room situations where the staff is beleaguered with everything from gunshot wounds to bloody noses. My last trip to the ER was a 12-hour exercise in futility where the proper diagnosis was not rendered. Two days later I had emergency surgery to remove my gall bladder.

Good post Glenn,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#85183 - 01/26/05 01:23 PM Re: Stroke Symptoms
BillErickson Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
While you're waiting for the paramedics to arrive, if you have them available, give the person three to four ordinary asparin....

I'm not sure I would recommend that treatment, Gary. While most strokes are caused by clots, a small percentage are caused by burst blood vessels. I should know -- my father recently passed on after having suffered one of these strokes. Giving asparin in this case would be the *worst* thing you could do.

#85184 - 01/26/05 03:54 PM Re: Stroke Symptoms
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In the somewhat rare instance a small blood vessel burst, which is also known as an aneurism, there is usually very little that can be done for the patient. The only corrective measure requires a surgical procedure, which must be done at the hospital. There is no on the scene treatment, including aspirin, that will effect the patient's outcome. However, aspirin can have a positive effect on the outcome of those who have clot related strokes, which is the vast majority. My deepest sympathy on the passing of your father.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online