SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#84527 - 12/04/05 10:12 AM Working for the City/County
KN_Fan Offline

Hi all,
I have a quick question- I am considering to be working for the city. I understand that there is no 'perfect' employer to work for, but the benefits are good, and the hours are decent, and what I heard that the stress level is pretty manageable (more than the industry I am in right now- retail).

But I also heard that government jobs are not as easy to get as the ones with the usual corporate America, is this true? I am not talking high level position, just entry-mid level support staff.

Please share your wisdom

#84528 - 12/04/05 12:09 PM Re: Working for the City/County
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
What city are you talking about????

#84529 - 12/04/05 01:10 PM Re: Working for the City/County
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
government jobs are usually pretty easy, not always the best pay but good bennies, not usually a big tunover.
It has been my experience that you have to know someone to get you in the door, because it's a good job, everyone that works there wants to get their own people in.
I've worked for the county for 25 years 7 to 3 no nights, no weekends, paid holidays, vacations, sick time, no stress nice laid back job.

#84530 - 12/04/05 09:15 PM Re: Working for the City/County
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks Mikeathome-

I'm thinking of something along the lines of combination between data entry/Data base maintenance..I think I found the job I like, but it requires something like 10,000 keystroke per hour or something.

I am a pretty fast typist (about 50 WPM, comfortably around 45 WPM- error free), which translates about what they ask, I'm just wondering if they really strict in evaluating such thing?

Tony- I am in the pacific Northwest.

KN

#84531 - 12/05/05 01:04 AM Re: Working for the City/County
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hi, KN_FAN,
you mention keystrokes. You are probably aware that it will strain your wrists enormously, sometimes enough to hinder your ability to play.

#84532 - 12/05/05 09:02 AM Re: Working for the City/County
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
government jobs are usually pretty easy, not always the best pay but good bennies, not usually a big tunover.
It has been my experience that you have to know someone to get you in the door, because it's a good job, everyone that works there wants to get their own people in.
I've worked for the county for 25 years 7 to 3 no nights, no weekends, paid holidays, vacations, sick time, no stress nice laid back job.

I must disagree with you on this one.
I've worked for a municipality (Canadian equivilant of your county).
I've been with them for 25 years, but that's only because I do my job, and I do it well. Basically, if you don't cut the mustard, you don't stay...union or no union, you can be replaced.
I've spent the last 15 years in the Engineering dept. as a CAD draftsman, along with specialized graphic design. I've also taken on the role of VBA program writer, but that's only because I had an interest in it, and no one else wanted to do it, so I've kind of created my own job security.
My employer has been very fair, but again, the bottom line is..."if you can't cut it...you can't stay."

Yes...we do have those situations where people will recommend family members, or friends for a job, but down the road, they're weeded out, if it's poven they're incompetent or just coasting.
I think working for a municipality/county/city....is what you make of it, and if you decide not to make anything of it....then in turn, you don't make anything of your life....and you have only yourself to blame.
I for one, like my job with the municipality.....but I don't take it for granted.
Just my thots....

#84533 - 12/05/05 07:38 PM Re: Working for the City/County
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks for the input guys-

Just wanted to clarify, I didn't mean to sound I want to slack away and sleep on the job, cause I know I'm a good worker, I just thought that working for the government, I don't have that pressure of making the sales, and catching the dollars all the time, then again I could be mistaken. Perhaps I should even consider non-profit industry?

#84534 - 12/05/05 08:58 PM Re: Working for the City/County
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
KN...
If it's of any help....the field I'd like to get into (if I was a little younger) would be any GIS (Global Information Systems) related work. Definitely in high demand, and definitely the current wave in Information Technology.
btw: the 10,000 keystrokes thing sounds a somewhat high...

GoodLuck...

------------------
...shboom

#84535 - 12/06/05 03:03 PM Re: Working for the City/County
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by shboom:

I must disagree with you on this one.
I've worked for a municipality (Canadian equivilant of your county).
I've been with them for 25 years, but that's only because I do my job, and I do it well. Basically, if you don't cut the mustard, you don't stay...union or no union, you can be replaced.
I've spent the last 15 years in the Engineering dept. as a CAD draftsman, along with specialized graphic design. I've also taken on the role of VBA program writer, but that's only because I had an interest in it, and no one else wanted to do it, so I've kind of created my own job security.
My employer has been very fair, but again, the bottom line is..."if you can't cut it...you can't stay."

Yes...we do have those situations where people will recommend family members, or friends for a job, but down the road, they're weeded out, if it's poven they're incompetent or just coasting.
I think working for a municipality/county/city....is what you make of it, and if you decide not to make anything of it....then in turn, you don't make anything of your life....and you have only yourself to blame.
I for one, like my job with the municipality.....but I don't take it for granted.
Just my thots....
[/B]

I hope you didn't think I was trying to imply that you wouldn't have to do your job or be proficient at what you do.
To make a long story short I did my job, nobody bothered me I didn't work 12 hour days, nobody was clawing over each other to get to the top. I liked the set hours and no weekends and lots of time off. Gave me a nice living and enough time for a family and music.
It didn't suck too bad for a day job. If I knew someone looking they would be better off there than Mickey D's

------------------
I'm sorry if I've offended anyone
qqqwq@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 12-06-2005).]

#84536 - 12/06/05 03:34 PM Re: Working for the City/County
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Many Long Vacations are a nice bonus for certain employees of the Federal Government ...just ask George

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 12-06-2005).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online