SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8436 - 11/17/07 11:58 AM A CR-v and a Flying V...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
More toys! Got my new Honda CR-v on Thursday and a Gibson faded flying V. Always liked Lonnie Mack and Lenny Kravitz-two of the prominent players of flying v's.

Daughter is getting married tonight (2nd time), so life is good...especially since the "zone" is back. Avery's new husband is older and has several grandchildren, so, at 62, I'm a great-grandad. WOW!

The best to everyone.

Russ

#8437 - 11/17/07 02:11 PM Re: A CR-v and a Flying V...
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
That's good stuff. Hope you've saved enough cash for the upcoming holidays.

A flying V eh? Big fan of those. I think ZZ Top were big on using them. At least I faintly recall a ZZ Top video where they played Explorers with furr on them. may be I'm thinking some other band but I think only ZZ Top have the long long long beards. I could be wrong about that of course...

As much as I like the Flying V shape I much prefer using good old SGs. I have a couple. One standard and one with P90s. Aside from PRS single cut SGs are probably my favourite. ...And of course the TL but that's another story.

Hey, congrats on your daughter's wedding. Mine's too young for that stuff so I don't know if its a good thing or bad. She's more into Hanna Montana now.

cheers,

#8438 - 11/18/07 01:47 PM Re: A CR-v and a Flying V...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Congratulations Russ, nice toy's indeed.
here's one in action...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg6zqejXvqI

I love them too, but like Ed for practical reasons I prefer the shape of an SG.
I still have my first SG I bought used in 1970 which served ten years on the road as the only guitar I had in those days.

Fred

#8439 - 11/18/07 10:59 PM Re: A CR-v and a Flying V...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Sounds like you have plenty to play with Russ especially with that Melody Maker you recently picked up. Hope you have lots of fun with the new Flying V. Now that is a definately guitar that was designed to be played standing up on stage .... not sitting in your arm chair at home It is a classic Gibson with a lot of history so it is an awesome addition to your collection.

#8440 - 11/19/07 09:33 AM Re: A CR-v and a Flying V...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Really never liked the SG. Always preferred a Les Paul, but the "V" is neat. I used it this week-end strapped high on my neck and kicked pedals and played solos with my B-3. Alternated between Rhodes and Guitar solos. A little bulky, but great sounding and feeling instrument. A Stienberger works much better for this purpose.

Since it's an inexpensive faded model, I am thinking about puttig a custom candy finish on it. The faded finish starts to quickly rub off, and I don't really want to touch the finish on better, collectible instruments. I'll post a photo when it's done.

R.

#8441 - 11/19/07 02:49 PM Re: A CR-v and a Flying V...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Really never liked the SG. Always preferred a Les Paul, but the "V" is neat. I used it this week-end strapped high on my neck and kicked pedals and played solos with my B-3. Alternated between Rhodes and Guitar solos. A little bulky, but great sounding and feeling instrument. A Stienberger works much better for this purpose.

Since it's an inexpensive faded model, I am thinking about puttig a custom candy finish on it. The faded finish starts to quickly rub off, and I don't really want to touch the finish on better, collectible instruments. I'll post a photo when it's done.

R.

Well Russ, I agree but couldn't afford one when I was 19 years old. (I own 6 LP's at the moment. ) Nevertheless the SG will not be sold since she served me very well during 10 years of semi professional playing, so it's more or less my baby. On top it's worth much more these days as what I ever payed in 1970 (it's the Standard cherry with the engraved lyre in complete original condition, only the frets were flattened once)

By the way if I have to change guitar/keybord I usually switch the guitar on by back, so it's not in the way while playing keys. (I use straplocks)
The only downer is that no play guitar of mine is without those small damages caused by mike stands in the way...

At the moment I use either my PRS or one of my LP's.

Keep on rocking...

We should actually post this in the bar section, since this is a synthzone...

Fred

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online