SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#84106 - 02/06/08 10:19 AM Re: Winston Walls...B-3 Giant!
Winston1111 Offline

Loc: Charleston, West Virginia U.S...
I should have news regarding arrangements later today. When I spoke with his wife Lucille yesterday she informed me that he had passed away peacefully in his sleep early yesterday morning.
She indicated that the funeral arrangements will be made today.
She did say that she is going to bury his body in Fort Myers, Florida where they have lived for the last 15 years. So I will likely be making a road trip this weekend from my home here in Charleston, West Virgina (which was also Winston's hometown).

I have about 20 hours of video that I shot in 1998, 2000, and 2004 of Winston playing my B3 at various clubs here in Charleston. And I also have some footage of him sitting in my music room in July 2004 playing my B3 unnacompanied. I couldn't bring myself to watch any of it last night because I knew that it would sadden me even more than I already am. But I think that I am gonna look at some of it tonight.
I'll post again later tonight or tomorrow when I learn of the funeral arrangements from Winston's wife.

John

#84107 - 02/06/08 12:04 PM Re: Winston Walls...B-3 Giant!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hi, John...so sorry we haved to meet concerning such a terrible event. I remember Winston had a brother who lived here in Lexington, and I'm going to try to look him up this afternoon.

Man, I'd love to pay you for a dupe of any tape with Winston on it. The one at your home, unacompanied would probably be the most sentimental for me.

Winston played at a club called Up jump The Devil, at Comers after hours and at O'Keefe's in the 70's and early 80's. I worked with him at all three places and played at the Sportsman after hours. We were cross town friendly competitors.

His long-time drummer here was George Hall. I sent word to him through Janice Gentry, the wife of a mutual acquaintence (trumpet player) who died recently. She's going to choir practice with George's wife tonight.

A top advocate of what I and many others think is the best of truely American music is gone. He was a dynamic master. A world-class player and a great vocalist.

My life is much richer for having known him.

Russ Lay

#84108 - 02/09/08 06:58 AM Re: Winston Walls...B-3 Giant!
Winston1111 Offline

Loc: Charleston, West Virginia U.S...
Hi Russ,

I am also sorry that these unfortunate circumstances are the catalyst behind our meeting one another.

And like you, my life is also much richer for having known Winston Walls. He is tuly my most unforgettable character. The countless hours I spent over the years listening to Winston play as well as hanging out with him while he made us all laugh is something I will miss terribly. Although my spiritual beliefs lead me to conclude that I will see Winston again. Between Winston, Billy Preston, Groove Holmes, Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff, and so many others, God certainly has an impressive stable of organ players to call on when he needs one.

Winston's wife, Lucille, has made arrangements for a viewing to take place in Fort Myers, Florida on Thursday, February 14th from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. and his burial will be the next morning. I do not have an address as yet where flowers can be sent. But will in the next 24 hours or so.

By the way, I do remember Winston talking about playing at Up Jumped The Devil. I will send you links to a couple of great articles about him that appeared in our morning and afternoon newspapers yesterday here in Charleston.

I will be happy to share some video of Winston with you. I was finally able to look at some of it last night. He was truly a world class player and a master of the Hammond B3. I need to take the master video tapes that I have and compile a "Best Of" kind of a package. I have over 20 hours of footage of him playing and need to edit it down to two or maybe four hours of the best material. I will also include the footage of him playing my B3 unacompanied in my home. This will likely not happen overnight though. Please be patient with me and I will contact you when I have it ready. I'm not talking about years here. But probably at least a few weeks or a month or two.
The same performances that I videotaped I also recorded to a portable DAT deck using some nice mics. Naturally there is some audience noise but otherwise those recordings turned out fairly well. That is yet another Winston project that I will have to immerse myself in soon (editing those recordings down to a "Best Of" and putting them on CD's). I'll keep you posted on my progress with that. But please be patient with me on that project too. Thanks.

John Bailes
Charleston, West Virginia

#84109 - 02/09/08 12:45 PM Re: Winston Walls...B-3 Giant!
captain Russ Offline

Thanks so much, John. I sent you a private email and commented about what a good friend you were to Winston...no doubt about it. There's something about the closeness that happens with jazz players. It's unlike many other relationships.

Here at the "Zone", there are a lot of different kinds of people. Silly flare-ups happen more frequently than they should...usually about nothing but ego.

The death of someone like Winston really points out how very pointless some of the riffs are.

Please let me know when you have an address for the funeral home.

And, for "Zone" members, PLEASE appreciate the time we have together.

In spite of it all, I DO!

Russ

#84110 - 02/09/08 12:50 PM Re: Winston Walls...B-3 Giant!
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
My only knowledge of the man was via his 'Boss of the B3' album - a beaut. I would have loved to have heard more of him. My condolences to his family, and to those of you who knew him personally.

#84111 - 02/13/08 12:18 PM Re: Winston Walls...B-3 Giant!
captain Russ Offline

John just let me know that Winston's funeral is tomorrow in Ft. Myers, Florida. He also sent me some recent articles detailing highlights of his life and recognizing his tremendous accomplishments in his field.

He will be remembered and appreciated in the future.

And, he will be missed by John and I and countless others who discovered his amaising talent and abilities.

Russ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online