SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8395 - 04/17/05 07:00 AM Ever heard about the new ATARI...???
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Who thought that ATARI lives on?
Ten years after the out of the great computer designer and manufacturer a new computer will appear under the sign of ATARI - the COLDFIRE!!!

Spend a little time to their project if you remind your 'old' ATARI as a good fellow...

Here is the link in...

Have fun - and dream of a better computer world... ...together with me!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 04-17-2005).]

#8396 - 04/17/05 07:13 AM Re: Ever heard about the new ATARI...???
sLOWER Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
What are the main diferenties between Atari and PC sistems??I never had Atari...long time ago I saw one that friend of mine had...

#8397 - 04/17/05 07:37 AM Re: Ever heard about the new ATARI...???
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Oh, I thought it said "Mac"!
Darn,
Well, next time you post about a Mac let me know.

-ED-

#8398 - 04/17/05 08:00 AM Re: Ever heard about the new ATARI...???
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Oh, I thought it said "Mac"!

Ouch...that hurts!!!

But it is possible that the new Atari will cost as much as a new Mac but nevertheless for me the Atari will be the better choice because of ABSOLUTELY NO M$ SOFTWARE...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#8399 - 04/17/05 08:09 AM Re: Ever heard about the new ATARI...???
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I had an ATARI seems many years ago now....and many happy days I remember midied to my keyboard.

#8400 - 04/17/05 08:20 AM Re: Ever heard about the new ATARI...???
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sLOWER:
What are the main diferenties between Atari and PC sistems??

Hm, I think the main advantages of an Atari versus a PC are:

1. the OS came and will come in a ROM
2. the OS is very small (under 8 MB)
3. the multi-tasking is preemptive not cooperative
4. the hardware was and will be concepted for midi/music like no other computer system was ever made
5. the hardware was and will be concepted for graphic/games in a quality like the PC will never reach (only the Mac reaches toward it)

But the Coldfire isn't ready yet. There was a first little success as the developer team ran a rudimental form of the Atari's MiNT kernel on the evaluation board. I hope they will reach out more in the next time...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#8401 - 04/17/05 08:41 AM Re: Ever heard about the new ATARI...???
3351 Offline

Well, I guess I should explain myself since reading between the lines is a gift that most of us can only dream of.

Being visually impaired I can't really work with computers that have no screen magnification support. So I wouldn't be able to use Mac's without inLarge and Universal Access or PCs without ZoomText.
To expect Atari to come up with similar software is to live in a dreamland. And odds are, if they even come up with anything like it it won't work as well, cost tons (or be free and crap) and the support for it will probably be n/a.
Plus, I can't imagine them trying to compete with Apple or even the crippled IBM.

Sorry man, passion for old Ataris is one thing (and we all share it BTW) but the practicality of owning one today and expecting to get as much out of it as one can get out of their Mac G5 is another fantasy.

-ED-

#8402 - 04/17/05 09:25 AM Re: Ever heard about the new ATARI...???
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
And odds are, if they even come up with anything like it it won't work as well, cost tons (or be free and crap) and the support for it will probably be n/a...

That's the strategie of MS (and sometimes Linux?) but not the one of Atari. TOS was a stabil operating system because it was small. All other possibilities that the hardware provided came as a support of a special program (special to its function). This concept is the best you can find.
Why trying to put all programs in the OS with an army of programmers because it must be released within the next half year. Do you mean you will get a qualified work out of it? I don't think so...

Quote:
Sorry man, passion for old Ataris is one thing (and we all share it BTW) but the practicality of owning one today and expecting to get as much out of it as one can get out of their Mac G5 is another fantasy.

I don't share this opinion because the 68k CPU was lightyears ahead of all the other CPUs. In 1996 we had a MC68060 CPU@66MHz that brought us 110 MIPS and was designed with an internal 64x64 bit multiplicator. No other CPU in 1996 has reached toward such high performed parameters including the first 3 Motorola's PPC CPUs.
Can you imagine? A CPU@66MHz is running faster than my old AMD K6/II @500MHz which ran even faster than a Pentium III @600MHz. I tell you if the new Atari will come the rest of the computer world will search for a new income...

Sure at first we 'Atarians' will be left behind the others because we only have some older programs to offer but they are mostly better than actual PC software.
One of the most advantages on Atari computers were the many competent software developers which made exclusivly good software products. Also the public domain market supplied many good programs for the TOS world.
BTW: Wasn't PD an invention by the Atarians?

Otherwise, Linux started with nothing more than a server kernel but what's on now? Linux kicks Windows away because the users did learn...

What do you have today? Many programs without any sense and a hand full of rain...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#8403 - 04/17/05 03:19 PM Re: Ever heard about the new ATARI...???
3351 Offline

You will find that to your disappointment I really know far less about computers than I do about mixing and recording.
Sure, I understand the basic differences between different platforms and languages, but that is as far as it goes.
Sometimes you are way over my head ! LOL

So with all of my arrogance, and un-educated approach of a narrow minded and end result hungry consumer I only care for things that work and do the job already.
I find that way too many manufacturers have great ideas and big plans for the future but to be honest, more than half of them lead nowhere.
That’s a fact.

So until Atari solidify their great plans and ideas and start making and selling computers that will outperform my brand new Mac, I can’t say that I can share all the excitement.

Therefore – MAC.
The rest is either still in plans or not anywhere near as cool.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 04-17-2005).]

#8404 - 04/17/05 06:18 PM Re: Ever heard about the new ATARI...???
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
...Sometimes you are way over my head ! LOL

I'm really sorry for that!!
Shame on me...

Quote:
Therefore – MAC.
The rest is either still in plans or not anywhere near as cool.

Yes, the Apple bites back!!! *LOL*
They have a good strategy in marketing AND technical production. But look out! Atari had have a similar strategy (only cheaper) and where are they today?
Ok, some missmanagements had also broken their neck, but many developers kept this system on running and more - they made upgrades and built new hardware. I would really like to know where the PC market will be if the last PC were sold ten years ago.

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online