SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#83919 - 07/05/05 03:12 PM War of the Worlds
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
So...who's seen it, and what did you think?

I thought the sound was spectacular. The sound effects and the special effects were both pretty good imo.
There was just this ominous deep ugly bass tone that was supposed to be from the alien tripods.
I just thought it was a great sound.
I could've done without the Disney ending though.

------------------
...shboom

#83920 - 07/05/05 03:27 PM Re: War of the Worlds
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
We saw it last night. Hadn't been to a real movie in quite some time and the sound and special effects were outstanding. There were a lot of flaws in the story line, but overall very enjoyable.
DonM

#83921 - 07/05/05 10:35 PM Re: War of the Worlds
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
I haven't seen War of the Worlds, and I don't plan to either.

It seems to me that a 'War of the Effects Departments', if you will, is raging through the movie industry. Just because computers can do it, each new movie just has to out-do the last one.

Yes, I'm aware that creativity comes into play in this aspect, but you can guarantee that every snippet they blow at you in a thirty-second tv commercial is such a mish-mash of fragmented, blink-of-an-eye clips, that I wonder why I would want to subject myself to a couple of hours of similar bombardment and be expected to shell out good money for the 'privilege' of doing so.

#83922 - 07/06/05 08:25 AM Re: War of the Worlds
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
.... I wonder why I would want to subject myself to a couple of hours of similar bombardment and be expected to shell out good money for the 'privilege' of doing so.

It's called ENTERTAINMENT, and like politics and religion, it's all personal taste ...
t.

#83923 - 07/06/05 08:29 AM Re: War of the Worlds
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
I can sympathize with your reasoning renig, I guess I just like to compare some remakes of old movies. I don't know where you're at age-wise, but I remember the original black & white, when it came out, and at that time, for it's time, it was not too bad.
Yes the special effects were over the top computer magic, but what really grabbed me, as I stated, was the sound.
Tom Cruise is nothing spectacular in the movie....they could have cast Carrot Top for all I care.

------------------
...shboom

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online