SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#83749 - 02/14/05 03:17 PM What do you think about ethical standards?
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hello,
I want to know your opinion to a few things.
Here the questions:

1.) Does such a thing as absolute thruth exist? Or is everything relative?

2.) How do you distinguish between right and wrong?

3.) How would you define justice?

4.) What is the most difficult ethical standard, ever proclaimed?

Please be so kind and answer only the questions and don't commentate the other one's answers.
Thank you!

------------------
Regards
RF

#83750 - 02/15/05 08:11 AM Re: What do you think about ethical standards?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Geeze, RF, you could have asked a more specific question, like 'what's the meaning of life?'

Quote:
Originally posted by R-F:
How do you distinguish between right and wrong?

If my dad was still around, I could ask him. He always said there's 2 ways of doing things, 'my way and the wrong way'

Seriously though, I usually see the answer to this as either obvious or not so obvious. Those items that are not so obvious often take consideration.

Example: Do you tell somebody the truth or do you fib in order to avoid hurting their feelings? The older I get, the more I tend to do the latter. IMHO, life's too short and other's feelings too important to cause hurt. Of course, every situation depends on it's own merits.

#83751 - 02/15/05 11:27 AM Re: What do you think about ethical standards?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I think it's unethical to ask about someone's ethics! Hey, this is a bar!

Bottom's Up,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#83752 - 02/15/05 01:01 PM Re: What do you think about ethical standards?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by R-F:

Relative.

Your conscience guides you.

There is no justice.

I don't know what you mean by ethical standards. But human beings having a brain, and hence, thought and having the guilt of countless religions foisted upon them (by themselves?) and having to decipher all of that is a pretty heavy thing to deal with. Send me a burning bush and I'll be fine.

#83753 - 02/16/05 08:43 AM Re: What do you think about ethical standards?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Without truth, nothing else matters.
You can rationalize ANYthing, but there is only ONE truth.

Your heart will tell you what's really important, but actually "knowing" truth is sometimes difficult. Too many human shortcomings can cloud the obvious. I think the "pursuit" of truth is a more attainable goal.

Justice? Hmmmmmm.....the much used "What goes around, comes around" seems to sum it up best for me. It's the golden rule!

Just "trying" to do the right thing isn't really quite good enough. We are all responsible for our own actions and we need to take the reigns and control what ever parts of out destiny that we can. If you labor over an ethical question, chances are - you already KNOW the answer. Somethings are ALWAYS right, and some things are ALWAYS wrong.

There is a prayer my Dad has shared with us all that prettyt much sums up ALL the answers to these questions:

God, grant me the SERINITY to accept the things I cannot change
The STRENGTH to change the things I can,'
and the WISDOM to know the difference.

That's the whole ball of wax in three lines!

#83754 - 03/01/05 04:41 PM Re: What do you think about ethical standards?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
1. There's a difference between truth and reality.
2. I feel what is right or wrong to me and I see what is right or wrong in the eyes of my opponent.
3. Justice is what will prevail but not by the hand of a human.
4. "The dignity of a human should be untouchable!" - This is actually the most difficult ethical standard.
------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 03-01-2005).]

#83755 - 03/01/05 06:09 PM Re: What do you think about ethical standards?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi R-F,

Quote:

I think that there is absolute truth but where human beings are concerned truth can only be relative. Despite our arrogance as a species our knowledge is not absolute so what we believe to be true can only ever be relative to our knowledge.

Only a few hundred years ago human beings really believed that the earth was flat. When they stated this as fact they were no lying. They were speaking truthfully, relative to their knowledge at the time.

Quote:

As others have said we were all born with a conscience. However I don't believe that this directly equates to comprehension of what is right and what is wrong.

As an example, I am lucky enough to have been born into a loving family and in a wealthy country. I have never really had to struggle for anything. I have never really been hungry and have never had to question that I am anything other than safe and free to live my life as I see fit. The effect of these social and economic factors mean that I have the luxury of knowing that certain things are wrong. Stealing, abuse of others, etc. etc. are all wrong to my 'pampered' concience.

Now had I been born elsewhere and had none of the comforts listed above and still had to feed myself and my family my concience might dictate that it is not such a cardinal sin to steal a loaf of bread, especially from someone who had far more than me to begin with.

It is too easy to take the moral highground. I really feel that I can only ever apply my ethical and moral standards to myself. I have no right to impose them on another single human being unless I am prepared to walk in their shoes.

I KNOW what is right and what is wrong for ME. I have no right to decide what is right or wrong for others. (and yes I know that is idealistic when taken to it's ultimate conclusion )

Quote:

I don't think there is such a thing as justice. One man's justice is anothers injustice. It all depends how you have defined for yourself what is right and what is wrong (as above). I do think we have certain obligations when living within society to abide by it's rules and laws. If you don't like them then find somewhere you feel more comfortable. Again these views are probably tainted by always having had the luxury of living in a democracy where I have the right to lobby for change where I think those rules and laws unfair.

I am concerned that Justice is often used as a cover for revenge, or for the moral majority to control anything it considers a threat. If Justice did exist it should be pure and above reproach. Justice would never be for sale but what we percieve to be justice often is.

Quote:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours goods.

As human beings this is an impossible standard to set. I'm sure that in ages gone when Mr Caveman saw his mate in the next cave had a bigger spear than him he thought "Ug! I'm having me one of them" It is human nature after all.

Especially in this day and age we want what everyone else has. Not only do we want it but we often see it as our right to have it. I am as guilty as anyone in this. We are too easily sold on products, lifestyles, ideas and ideology to actually think about the spirituality of life. We can (and I do) justify this with all kinds of excuses and intelligent reasoning but the basic fact is that we cannot help admiring what others have and wanting some for ourselves.

I have met very few people who genuinely care little for the material.

Well I went a bit off track there I'm sure but they are my answers anyway
Best wishes
Tony

#83756 - 03/02/05 06:09 AM Re: What do you think about ethical standards?
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
what is perfect,i once thought that a perfect circle was perfect but its not,cause the inner ring is smaller than the outer ring, truth,look at the christian religon,all use the bible and yet there are so many breakaways,even christ had a go at the pharasees calling them hypocrits, all different religions say theirs is right,is the oldest (the first one) right? we all have opinions but they are based on the knowledge we have,is that knowledge that we have acccurate? and so we say what is truth???????is it a never ending cycle or should i say circle,mike

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online