SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8371 - 09/14/03 08:20 PM Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I have gievn up the prospects of buying a Minimoog Voyager, in favor of a Modular synthesizer from Synthesizers.com. After much diliberation and talking with several other people here an on the synthesizers.com group. That I am going to invest in a modular synth. This is what I have been after all along and is the only synth for me. Anything else just pales in comparison.

So I am now comming to the end of my quest for the right synthesizer. And now is the time to set that goal and achieve it. Since I have always been fascinated by these large systems I figured why not buy one myself. After all I am getting tired of spending money on synths that just sit around and not get used.

Oh in case anyone is interested stop by Synthesizers.com and check them out.
http://www.synthesizers.com

These are some awsome synths.

#8372 - 09/15/03 09:14 AM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
tekminus Offline

Good choice. Those full size modulars look so incredible. I'm in the process of getting something new myself. It has come down to the Clavia G2 Modular, the Elektron Monomachine or Machinedrum. I've only heard the Machinedrum out of those 3 so far. I'm desperate for glitchy beats, so the Machinedrum has an edge at the moment. My K2000R does an impressive job of mangling beats but there's so much more out there.

-tek

#8373 - 09/15/03 09:41 AM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Best of luck on your endveor tek.

#8374 - 09/21/03 08:17 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hey Paul!
- Ed here.
What's happening? (in general and witn the modular synth).
I decided to go for both Voyager and a custom modular synth. All I have to do is stop buying guitars.
By the way, what do you call yourself on Synthesizers.com? Is it anologcontrol..something?
Later!

#8375 - 09/21/03 10:24 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ed,

Well I am going to buy the QSS22 studio model. Which comes in avery nice walnut case with twenty-two modules. Plus I am buying the keyboard controler to go with it. Total price plus shipping will be $2,699.00.

But first I have to get some money together in order to pay for it. Granted I will use a credit card, but I have to have money in my bank account to pay off the credit card. So it will be a while. Also I have to sell off my current gear to help pay for part of this system.

Well best of luck with your endevor on buying your modular and voyager. BTW you will be able to connect your voayger with your modular synth.

My nicname on Synthesizers.com is analogcontrolfreak.

#8376 - 09/22/03 09:00 AM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
tekminus Offline

Ed, you asked about Modular patching info in the FM topic. Here When you get past the splash page, click on Modular systems in the navigation bar and then 'Patch techniques and Voltage Control'.

Paul, you might wanna read this. This is what you're getting into

-tek

edit: clearer now

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 09-22-2003).]

#8377 - 09/22/03 11:29 AM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Tek,

Thanks for the link too the site. I forgotten I had been there before. Anyway I went adn printed of some of the info on Modular synthesis. Also some on the Basics of Voltage control, and a basic synth patch.

I also went to synthesizers.com and found links to some other sites, and prints off some more inforamtion on this subject.

Paul

#8378 - 09/22/03 02:26 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
3351 Offline

Paul,
"Analog control freak"....
- I thought it's you, but wasn't sure.
I'm actually thiking of getting a system with a larger cabinet, so I'll be able to expand the system later. That's what "morbious" from synthesizers.com suggested. My only problem so far is finding enough space for Voyager and the modular synth. I'll have to throw out a lot of old furniture and stuff.

Tek!
Thanks!
ED

#8379 - 09/22/03 03:40 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ed,

So you are going to go with a .com synth then huh? I was right wasn't I about how good these synths are?

The QSS44 has a larger cabinet but it costs $4,000.00. I just want you too know that. But go with what morbius said. He told me the same thing, but it's easier for me too come up with $2,699.00 then $4,000.00. What you could do is buy the QSS44 and then buy a QSS22 and place it on top of the 44 then you would have a modular synth similar to the old Moog Modulars.

Have you considered redesigning your studio? Too help you in accomadateing your Modular synth and minimoog.

You could place it in your dining or living room he he. J/K

I have a large deask to accomodate the QSS22.

#8380 - 09/22/03 04:51 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
3351 Offline

Yap! Synthesizers.com are good.

Re-designing my studio though, is almost impossible.
I've got a few computers, over 20 hardware synths, 14 guitars, a bunch of AMPs and list goes on. But if I throw out a lot of junk from my living room, I'll have just enough space for a QSS44. What I really want to do is get something like a QSS22, but with larger cabinet, so I can later add like 10 modules. QSS44 is a bit BIG for me.
ED

#8381 - 09/22/03 07:50 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe what you should do is get the QSS22, but have it put into a 44 cabinet. I'm sure Roger would let you do that. After all he does let you custom build your own systems.

BTW Roger is the owner of synthesizers.com. Just in case you did not know that.

Maybe what you should do is organize your studio instead of redesgining it. Get some keyboard rack/stands to put your kyeboards on. Then get some guitar hooks too hang up your guitars on the wall (BTW makes for some cool artwork). Then get your amps all together and stack them they same way guitarists do on stage. Last get rid of the computers that you don't use and just stick with one. Once you get yourself organized you migh surprise yourself and maybe have some room for your new modular synth.

BTW your not married are you, or have a live-in girlfriend?

#8382 - 09/22/03 08:55 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
3351 Offline

Paul!

My place is safe.
- No threat of women running the show here.
So far they are mainly for the bedroom and may be kitchen.
But even there I'm the boss (so far).
My guitars are hanging nicely on a custom built wall in my living room, But I still need space for them in my studio. At least enough to put a couple in the stands during a recording session. My amps are for the living room. I don't really use AMPs for recording - got enough modelers . All my synths are in large SKB 10-space racks and keyboard stands. Computers...Well, I've got two in the studio and I need both.
Hence:
Only two possibilities.
- I have a large walking closet (or walk-in closet, whatever) in my studio. Right now it's full of guitar cases. If I put them elsewhere I can easily place TWO 44 systems in there.
- OR just simply put the system in my living room across from my guitars. I think it will look cool.
ED

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-22-2003).]

#8383 - 09/22/03 11:44 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Deffenitly go with putting it in the living room. What's better then a functioning peice of fruniture. Besides it will make a great conversation peice.

I am boneing up on analog synthesis and of how a synthesizer works.

#8384 - 09/23/03 09:17 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
3351 Offline

Hi!
You're right. Living room is a great place for a beautiful synth.
I'm also in the process of learning more about modular systems.
But I still can't figure out how to set up the QSS to do simple things like portamento or PWM.
ED

#8385 - 09/23/03 10:02 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi ED,

Roger told me that each manual comes with it's own data sheet, to tell you how that particular module works.

#8386 - 09/23/03 10:16 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Ed,

The module that you need to do portamento is the Q105 Slew limiter. This module creates portamento or glisando.

For PWM or Pulse width modualtion just slect the Pluse wave on the VCO and run it through the Slew Limiter and it should work. Though this is second guessing on my part since I am still learing about analog synthesis and analog synthesizers.

Paul

#8387 - 09/24/03 08:26 AM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
tekminus Offline

There is a section on the Q106 oscillator called ..Pulsewidth! Amount knob lets you set the amount of modulation coming in from the input. Width lets you set the pulsewidth manually, this will also set the starting width, when it's being modulated.
You can modulate PW with anything really, but try an LFO. For some crazy effects, try an LFO in the audible frequency range.

-tek

#8388 - 09/24/03 09:55 AM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
3351 Offline

OK, PWM makes sence - a lot easear then I thought. Thanks Tek!
Paul! (or Tek)
So I guess the connections (*basic connection) for a portamento should be:
Keyboard -> Midi Module (pitch) -> slew limiter (gate) -> OSC -> Amplifyer.
(I left out the use of multiples, envelopes and filters for now - to keep things simple)

Can the slew limiter module be used for any other purposes?

ED

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-24-2003).]

#8389 - 09/24/03 10:44 AM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Q105 Slew Limiter is used to limit the change in a signal. The amount of limitation is set by a front panel control. This function is sometimes referred to as 'Glide', 'Glissando', 'Lag Processing', or 'Portamento'. The operator has the ability to select the rising edge of a signal, the falling edge, or both with a front panel switch. A manual push button allows the operator to disable the module's function and a jack provides a way to enable/disable using an external signal or a foot switch (useful for portamento control). An LED indicator shows enabled/disabled status. Use the Slew Limiter as a portamento control by routing the keyboard's pitch control voltage through the Limiter then to an oscillator. Use the Slew Limiter as an 'AR' (Attack, Release) envelope generator by routing a square wave from the keyboard gate, oscillator, or sequencer to an amplifier or filter.

Usage and Patch Tips

Basics
The most common use of the Slew Limiter is to create portamento for your keyboard. This is a gradual sliding from one note to the next. Do this by patching the pitch control voltage from your keyboard into the input on the slew limiter module then patch the output to your oscillators as normal. Start with a very low amount and adjust to get the effect you want. Usually the direction control will be in the 'both' position, but the 'up' and 'down' positions will provide portamento just for notes that go in that direction. A foot switch can be added to the control input if needed.

As an Envelope Generator
Another use for the Slew Limiter is to provide a simple envelope generator. Simply patch the gate output from the keyboard controller to the input of the slew limiter, and the output to an amplifier, filter, oscillator, etc. The amount control will set the Attack time and the Release time. The direction switch can be used to turn off the Attack or Release phase. An external signal can be used to turn it on and off.

As a Gate Delay
The Q105 slew limiter can also be used to delay and/or extend gate signals to create multi-stage envelopes, delayed modulation, and unusual keyboard responses. Simply connect a gate signal to the input jack. Setting the direction to Up will let the Amount control adjust the delay of the beginning of the output gate. Setting the direction to Down will let the Amount control adjust the extension of the output gate. Setting the direction to Both will let the Amount control adjust both the beginning delay and the extension resulting in a shifting of the entire gate signal.

As a Low Pass Filter
A slew limiter is basically a lowpass filter. By running a signal with harmonics through the slew limiter you can attenuate the high frequencies by adjusting the Amount control.

Creating Legato keyboard response
You can create Legato response from your keyboard by running the Gate signal through the Q105 slew limiter. The Q105 is used to slow down the gate signal and cover up the very fast ones between close keystrokes. See this article by Brad Frohock.

Hope this helps?

Paul

#8390 - 09/24/03 01:10 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
3351 Offline

Thanks Paul.
Well, things are looking good.
I already got in touch with Roger. My system is going to cost about 3500$ all together. That's including the QSS44 cabinet and a few additional modules.

... Now if I could only figure out different ways to sync OSCs on the QSS.
You know - hard sync, soft sync (more of a tuning sync) and I think there's more...there's some kind of a phase sync or something like that.
ED

#8391 - 09/25/03 10:19 AM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
tekminus Offline

I also noticed, the modular doesn't have dedicated LFO modules. No problem though, as the Q106 Oscillator has really low frequencies for modulation purposes.

-tek

#8392 - 09/25/03 09:34 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
3351 Offline

That's why my system's gonna have six OSCs.
Napoleon Wilson (formally known as ED)

#8393 - 09/26/03 01:05 PM Re: Going to buy a Modular synthesizer Instead!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, so all the osc each have the capability of acting as an lfo modulating device. well hell, that only makes sense in a separate component system!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online