SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#83686 - 01/12/05 03:47 PM A Sad Goodby....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The music community in Kentucky is saying goodby tomorrow to Mike Allen, a musical giant in this area.

I began working with Mike in 1964. He was a Bill Evans type player who stuck to his musical beliefs. He was fairly well known in jazz circles and played around the world
in some impressive venues. Around here, he was a society and horse industry favorite.

I doubt any of you have ever heard of him, but he kept true to his musical vision, and
lived a modest life, not doing as well, financially, as players of half his ability.

But, that was his choice.

I just wanted to tell people who would understand that Mike's life had meaning and that he made a difference. We argued (he hated arrangers), competed, laughed and developed that high level of unspoken communications and mutual joy so common among long-time collaborators. His passing makes the recent bickering here seem so insignificant.

Man, I'll miss the guy.

Russ

#83687 - 01/12/05 10:17 PM Re: A Sad Goodby....
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Russ....I'm sorry that you lost your friend..
may he find Peace and Happiness playing in the Big Band up there....I could feel the emotion in your post and know that you cared
deeply......

#83688 - 01/13/05 01:24 AM Re: A Sad Goodby....
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That is very sad news Russ. I really understand your loss. A very close friend that I played with for many years passed away many years ago. He was a very talented composer and singer. He released a number of top 10 singles in Australia in the 80s with a band called Australian Crawl but was capable of so much more. His brother who had drummed with the band contacted me and some other friends after his death to re-record instrumental tracks using Guy's vocal tracks from demo tapes he recorded long before he died. Many of the tape were old 4 track tapes that were found in his garage. It was very strange working on his material with him singing ( but absent ), but also very fulfilling. The album was called "My Place" and then was again released on CD in 1995 as "Lost And Found".

It is great that Mike lives on with you Russ. Do you have any recordings of his music to remember him. I'm sure that's how he'd like to be remembered.

#83689 - 01/13/05 06:12 AM Re: A Sad Goodby....
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Russ, Nigel...I share your sense of loss. In fact, this topic has given me pause.

When I first moved to Florida I was 23. It took awhile to get into the local music circle, but I began playing with a lot of really good, musicians, most of whom where in their 40s. It was fun and a fantastic learning experience.

The music business has changed dramatically since then. The saddest part of it all has been seeing so many of my older music buddies and mentors go into declining health and pass away. I am very proud to have known and played with them.

Their names pop up from time to time among some of the people who attend places I play. While the majority of the younger audiences I entertain have no knowledge of these older players, it is heartwarming to hear some of the old timers reflect back on how fondly they remember these men and their music.

Eddie

#83690 - 01/13/05 07:39 AM Re: A Sad Goodby....
captain Russ Offline

Thanks so much, guys. Mike was 60 years old. Sadly, he went the way of all too many jazz musicians...frustrated at the decrease in the amount of work...alcohol...financial and personal problems. We stood by helplessly...tried everything we could to straighten him out. He was so "out of it" last year, he was barred from his own mother's funeral. He died a bitter, broken man. What a waste.

Years ago in Los Angeles, Ray Brown took me around the circuit to see many of the jazz greats. Like Mike, many were bitter and lost, even though they were giants in their field. I was too green to fully understand
their talent, but pitied them for where they were in life. Ray said "listen, but NEVER be like them". You would recognize most of the names, but listing them would be disrespectful, and most students of jazz know who they are anyway.

Much has been written about why this happens.
I only know how important it is to pass on the innovation and creativity and to do everything possible to help young talent avoid the terrible pitfalls.

In appreciation...

russ

#83691 - 01/13/05 10:39 AM Re: A Sad Goodby....
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Years ago in Los Angeles, Ray Brown took me around the circuit to see many of the jazz greats. Like Mike, many were bitter and lost, even though they were giants in their field. I was too green to fully understand
their talent, but pitied them for where they were in life. Ray said "listen, but NEVER be like them". You would recognize most of the names, but listing them would be disrespectful, and most students of jazz know who they are anyway.

THE Ray Brown? OP's late bassist?

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#83692 - 01/13/05 01:30 PM Re: A Sad Goodby....
captain Russ Offline

Was lucky enough to land a job at a club in Apple Valley in 1963. The place was owned by Tony Belson, Louie's brother, also a drummer. My dad was stationd at George AFB in Victorville, and I was a "wet behind the ears" 16 year old rock-n-roller. Through those connections, I went with Louie and his wife, Pearl Bailey, to a taping of the syndicated Steve Allen show in Los Angeles.
Ray, Herb Ellis and a few other musicians on the show would take me to local venues. Ray was divorced from, but still close to Ella Fitzgerald, who was extremely shy.
Communicated with Ray about once a year until his death several years ago. The last time I saw him was about five years in Louisville, where he was taping a PBS show with Edgar Meyer and Victor Wooten (what a delight). When I got to the hotel, Ray was giving a free bass lesson to a promising local bassist...something he did whenever he traveled. He was as fine a gentleman as I ever met. I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. My only regret was that I was too young, green and such a novice player that I really didn't appreciate what I heard and saw until years later.

Ray is proof that decent humans can create, succeed and be rewarded with a long productive career, and can positively affect lives.

Russ

#83693 - 01/14/05 10:08 AM Re: A Sad Goodby....
royandreno Offline

Must be a thrill having met such 'giants'.
By the way, saw Oscar Peterson and his quartet, NHOP, Alvin Quinn and the amazing swede Ulf Wakenius last fall. 80 years old and still going strong. Allthough OP's 'chops' aren't maybe what they used to be (considering the stroke), he still is a tasteful piano player. Lot's of standards and a truly enjoyable concert!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#83694 - 01/14/05 10:42 AM Re: A Sad Goodby....
captain Russ Offline

Roy-Andre...does "the man" still play that big Bozendoefer (sp?. I saw him play a solo concert here in Kentucky before the stroke...he, and it sounded fantastic. A great player from here, Bruce Martin, had been his understudy years ago in Canada, and he an I visisted with him at the venue about 1/2 hour prior to the concert.

You have GREAT TASTE and know your music
and major jazz players.

Regards,

Russ

#83695 - 01/14/05 11:39 AM Re: A Sad Goodby....
royandreno Offline

Believe it or not, he played an ordinary Yamaha Grand on the night!
By the way, thanks, I enjoy lot's of genres in music, but I think the jazz players really inspires you to reach for the ultimate: The 'I will never get there' level!
By the way, my all time favourite jazz guitarist, Joe Pass. What a fantastic player matched to anyone and what a fantastic and humble person. Shame I never saw him live, but I have a huge collection of his recordings, and many videos and DVD's. Like Steve Morse once wrote in his columns in a guitar magazine: The nicest people he meets are the best at their trade. Something to think about for the competitors and sharp elbowed selfgood musicians out there!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

[This message has been edited by royandreno (edited 01-14-2005).]

#83696 - 01/14/05 11:58 AM Re: A Sad Goodby....
captain Russ Offline

Roy-Andre...funny you should mention Joe Pass.
During my time in California, Joe had stopped drinking and was on a mission to help all alcoholic musicians in the area, which meant most of them. He would stop people in the clubs and try to intervene. He was SERIOUS! Many players hid from him for a few years.

This would have been in the fall of 1963.

russ

#83697 - 01/14/05 04:06 PM Re: A Sad Goodby....
captain Russ Offline

Attended my friend Make Allen's viewing yesterday. Over 800 people visited the funeral home.An extremely complementary article appeared in the local paper detailing his career, including some highlights some of us didn't know about.

There was no funeral, no music..no eulogy.The family wouldn't allow it.
Turns out that Mike's church had excommunicated him three years ago. No member of the church, including his wife ever talked to him again. The wife moved out
and he was alone in a small apartment when he died. He had been dead a day or more when he was found.

I wonder whatever happend to forgiveness?

Russ

#83698 - 01/15/05 02:04 AM Re: A Sad Goodby....
royandreno Offline

Not trying to offend anyone here, but I rest my case.

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#83699 - 01/17/05 01:59 PM Re: A Sad Goodby....
captain Russ Offline

Roy, I'll probably take some flack about it, and I really don't want to offend, but, especially after last week, I tend to agree with you.

Best personal regards,

russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online