SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#83291 - 09/24/05 01:22 PM Re: Back when the MT32 ruled ;)
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Neither D-10 nor D-110 were in any way similar to MT32 or SC for that matter.-ED-

I'm curious to why you say that. I would have said the odd one out of that bunch you mention was the SC. The MT32 and D10/110 were based on L/A synthesis architecture and shared the same voice construction based on partials. Many of the same patches in the MT32 were also found in the D10 as well. I remember editing patches on both of those tone generators and the available parameters were very much the same other than the D10 had performance patches as well as the multitimbral patches. I could be wrong but from memory the SC was much more of a sample playback module without the L/A synthesis architecture.

#83292 - 09/24/05 02:14 PM Re: Back when the MT32 ruled ;)
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well, speaking of L.A.synthesis only SC was indeed an odd one out of that bunch. Mind you it featured many of the same waveforms found on the MT32 and D series synths.

I guess what I really meant to say was that both MT32 and SC were designed with MIDI multitrack playback in mind. Multitimbrality and ease of use were their selling points.

The release of Roland D10 and D110 was triggered by Korg's release of M1 which stole a lot of attention from the D50 because of multitimbrality. THe L.A.S featured on the D10/D110 synths was a stripped down version of L.A. synthesis found on the D50/D550 and multitimbrality wise they weren't anywhere near as well designed as MT32 or SC.

As far as I remember Roland SC modules came with 256 sounds. 128 were basically GM sound set. Additional 128 were L.A. compatible.

I could be mixing it up because I used one of the Roland E-series arrangers that were basically an SC with styles and slightly cleaner FX. They featured SC sounds in banks A/B and L.A. sounds in banks C/D ("Echo Pan", MT32 Orch hit etc).

Having used a D50 for over 17 years now I can say with absolute certanty that despite it not having multitimbrality it's sounds worked very well in the mix and I created entire arrangements using only the D50 and a drum machine (borrowed that and an 8-track recorder usually. All I had at the time were the D50 and my other old favorite the DX7).

D10 and D110 weren't like that at all. Sounds did not work together that well for some reason and even though many patches had identical names to the patches found on the D50 and MT32 (I'm just talking factory stuff) they didn't quite work the same way.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-25-2005).]

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-25-2005).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online