SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#83141 - 11/15/05 04:13 AM Where else but Ireland...
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
DUBLIN (Reuters) - A nursing home in Ireland has hit on a cheering way to keep up the spirits of its elderly patients -- by providing its own pub.

St Mary's Hospital in County Monaghan, near the Irish border with Northern Ireland, believes ready access to a good pint may help its patients -- average age 85 -- actually live longer.

"We would say the whole social aspect of life does extend the years -- it means the patients aren't bored to death," Rose Mooney, assistant director of nursing told Reuters.

The pub, which opens at 11 a.m. and closes at 9 p.m. and charges normal bar prices, had also led to an increase in the number of visitors, she said.

Having its own bar made the hospital, which has around 140 patients, unique in Ireland, she added.

#83142 - 11/15/05 08:02 AM Re: Where else but Ireland...
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Eddie,

A story like that makes me proud to be Irish!

Tom

Tom

#83143 - 11/15/05 01:34 PM Re: Where else but Ireland...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Aye...let's all be a wee bit 'o Irish...

...O'Shboom

#83144 - 11/15/05 04:39 PM Re: Where else but Ireland...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
One of the retirement communities I perform in here in Baltimore has a bar and several others have happy hours. These are usually very lively and happy places. Here's to ya!

Salud,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#83145 - 11/15/05 08:09 PM Re: Where else but Ireland...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Same here. I perform at a happy hour in a Baltimore area retirement center a couple times a month and the residents have a ball dancing, schmoozing and enjoying what little life they have remaining. At this particular one, I made the residents a fresh batch of Kickapoo Joy Juice and they loved it.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online