SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8290 - 03/07/06 07:52 AM Which Midi controller keyboard is the best?
samman19871 Offline

Loc: boston
hey,
Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on which midi controller keyboard is the best?

I'm looking for a decent, fully weighted 88 key keyboard controller.

Thanks,
Sam.

#8291 - 03/07/06 10:03 AM Re: Which Midi controller keyboard is the best?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
!
taste and preference are a very individual thing so what seems like "the best" to some totally apolls others.
Personally, when it comes to KB feel I prefer Yamaha's weighted keys. MOtif ES8 and S90 are my favorite. But then of course they aren't just KB controllers. I'm not even sure if Yam makes any KB controllers nowadays.

But I can think of quite a few friends of mine who find this type of heavy and slow weighted action annoying and so they go for stuff that is still weighted but is still good enough to do organ solos and quick leads. I can do it on any KB since I did have classsical training but to be honest I wouldn't use a weighted KB for everything.

I hear M-Audio makes some decent 88 note weighted and semi-weighted controllers. You may want to browse their websites.

Not a big fan of Roland KBs since I find their aftertouch a bit too stiff. On standalone controllers anyway. can't say I like their weighted KBs either. Yet again, a few good friends of mine love ROland KBs.

So here you go. Not a simple answer but this isn't a simple question. This "the best" thing is something you'll most likely have to work out by yourself since you'll never really know without trying a few KBs.
Good luck and I hope you find what you need. There are lots of choices. The only way to decide is to try though.

-ED-

------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

#8292 - 03/07/06 11:56 AM Re: Which Midi controller keyboard is the best?
samman19871 Offline

Loc: boston
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply.

I get what you mean about the difficulties of "the best" keyboard controller, after looking at the M-Audio site ive seen the prokeys 88 keyboard.

This looks ideal to me as it has reported good sounds, a decent authentic piano feel (i have been classically trained) plus i have the option of attaching a sound module.

Before i go ahead and buy it, does anyone know of any problems/issues with M-Audio equipment? There doesnt seem to be a great amount of reviews on the internet.

As for the Yamaha's they sound great keyboards but perhaps a little pricey, anyone know anywhere for second hand goods?

thanks again for the reply,

Sam.

#8293 - 03/07/06 01:36 PM Re: Which Midi controller keyboard is the best?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Actually you can connect any MIDI KB controller to any MIDI soundmodule. Just the way MIDI works.
M-Audio stuff is no different.

I have not heard about any problems with M-Audio keyboards. SOme love them. SOme hate 'em. With equal passion I might add. Such is the case with everything else out there.

Always try before buying though.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 03-07-2006).]

#8294 - 03/07/06 01:54 PM Re: Which Midi controller keyboard is the best?
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA

#8295 - 03/08/06 11:08 AM Re: Which Midi controller keyboard is the best?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi,

I'd have to reitterate what Ed said. Try before you buy. Just about everybody's ad say something like "real piano feel" but some boards just feel horrible to me.

One of the M-Audio boards feels lousy to me. I don't know which one it is though. But the keys feel like they'll break to me. Maybe I have a heavy hand, so maybe that board is no good for me?

I'd say, try before you buy.

Best wishes
Bob
<><

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online